Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace that plastic collet that allows only 1 primer at a time to drop. What is the proper way to remove this part and replace it? I don't want to force it and break something. Thanks in advance. Ed

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Grab it lightly with a pair of pliers. Just enough to get a bite on it but not squeeze it. Then tap the pliers with a hammer. It will just pop it off. The new one just PRESSES on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're doing this because its dropping too many primers, simply put a rubber band around the bottom of the collet. This will take care of the problem.

Harold

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Or you could try to pull it off with your hand. If your like me you will have to put a lot of downward pull, jiggling it back and forth till it pops off. Of coarse when it gives way and your hand slams against the press you will have blood coming from somewhere. lol

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know. I just checked on their website. They want $7 for 2 of them and another $7 for shipping and handling. I might try Hornady and see if they will send me a couple.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hornady has been very good to me reguarding customer service / support, that would be my first call.

I put a lite film of silicone grease when i installed mine.

Notime2

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Why would you buy it from Midway anyway. Hornady gave me my last one for free.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Don't worry about breaking the old fingers - they already are broken and not useful for anything. What you want to watch out for is damaging the metal drop tube that the plastic part attaches to so stay away from pliers or anything that might damage the tube. I just use a sharp pocket knife and split the plastic all the way through then the fingers just fall off.

The replacement part just presses on and will snap into place in the retaining groove of the drop tube. You can use your press leverage to do this if the tube is still installed in the press. If you do pull the drop tube out of the press, check the mouth of the tube for burrs and roundness and clean it up before installing the new plastic fingers if need be.

·
Registered
864 Posts
most problems i had w/my 366 were w/the primer station.so i took the deprime off/the primer tube off/primer seater off and got a cheap mec to deprime/reprime hulls.when i reload w/the 366 all i do is feed hulls/ place wads and pull handle.works great.no primer half in and shot all over the floor,no fail to drop primer for what ever reason(failed to fill primer tray most of the time).works for me,but then i am the guy that drilled a hole in the top casting so i can change powder bushings w/out taking it apart.it works good also.to much time on my hands i guess. love this retirement.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I put a pair of needle-nose pliers just above it, and tap on the pliers with a leather mallet.

As said, use the press itself to press the new one on, with a bit of light grease on the shaft.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
tracyhunter,

The Hornady primer system is the most reliable primer system of all those on the market. Like all loaders, it takes some tweaking to get it right.

·
Registered
464 Posts
exo, I had the same problem last fall. Called Hornaday and whined a little and they sent one out free. They said a 9/16 open wrench put over it with a tap it a time two and it will come right off. Worked great. Mike

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Yea, you might be right about a sharp knife not being the best tool for the job, the 9/16" open end sounds like a good way to get the removal job done. I tend to go to the blade for all manner of things just because I always have it clipped in the pocket and it only takes a quick flip of the thumb and there ya go....my bad

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
yeah, I understand the go to tool clipped to your belt.... I almost plugged a MEC with a 45acp that way.......No not really. Just sounded funny....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Oh come on 1 straight, I'm not such a hick that I would use a .45 on a reloader .... it would have to be something more precise like a .22.....(there have been times when it crossed my mind)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts