Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor who no longer shoots gave me a box of his .357 Mag reloads. I am not a reloader so I could use some advise.

First, is it a bad idea to shoot someone else’s reloads?
Second, can anyone tell me if the load is a heavy or light load based on the info in the photo?

I’m asking because my only .357 Mag revolver is a Ruger SP101 with a 2-1/4” barrel which I have only shot .38 Spcl in and I would prefer not to fire a heavy .357 Mag load in it.

Thanks,
Denny K.

5C01DE7D-6B2C-4521-B541-27D2C66F4D3F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
The load as shown is not a hot load based upon the Alliant data. You could pull a bullet to see if that is what is actually in the shell.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
Denny,
If you trust that the listed load is what is actually in those cartridges, your VERY safe with that data. I load a hell of a lot more Blue Dot in my .357's.
MG

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm comfortable with my own reloads. I've shot trusted friends reloads. If I were to shoot my reloads in another persons firearm I would only do so with permission.

Is the reloader a reasonable, competent person, do you have knowledge of their firing reloads safely? Do you trust their ability to reload to that data accurately?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree that is not a hot load according to manuals.

With that said, Alliant has a warning not to load Blue Dot with 125 gr bullets in .357.

20200805_220830.jpg

I used BD with 125 gr bullets in .357 for years. I discontinued the practice after that warning, though.

I am reluctant to shoot anyone else's reloads. I have witnessed a handgun blow up from an improper reload. It wasn't pretty

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that is not a hot load according to manuals.

With that said, Alliant has a warning not to load Blue Dot with 125 gr bullets in .357.

View attachment 1705311

I used BD with 125 gr bullets in .357 for years. I discontinued the practice after that warning, though.

I am reluctant to shoot anyone else's reloads. I have witnessed a handgun blow up from an improper reload. It wasn't pretty
Well, 460Ford, that’s all the convincing I need. These reloads are going to go to someone who can pull the bullets and salvage the cases or properly dispose of them. Thanks a bunch for responding with this information.
Denny K.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
That is really odd. Safety notice says not to use 125 grain bullets and to use heavier bullets. Yet, the loading data shows loads for .357 with 110 grain bullets. The ammo box shows a load that is only half of the factory recommended charge. Sometimes downloading slow powders in a pistol cartridge is not a good idea because you could get incomplete combustion or a squib. Personally I would not be shooting 20 year old reloads from anyone.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 7.51.56 PM.png

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
There were some book listed Blue Dot loads that were really spicy. I loaded some and after about 4 shots they locked up my Model 19 S&W , after I got it open and knocked the brass out of the cylinder with a Rod, I found that there was daylight coming through the primer where the pressure had blown out a disc of metal where the firing pin struck. Those little discs were inside the action keeping it from working right.:1augen71:

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
I used to use Blue Dot in the 44 Mag with a 200 gr bullet. The incredible muzzle flash was good for holiday festivities.

I no longer load Blue Dot in handgun rounds.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I've been loading handgun, rifle and shotgun ammunition for 62 years...going back to when my Father started teaching me how to help him when I was 8 yrs old.
I have no idea why Alliant warns against using their Blue Dot powder with 125 gn bullets but lists 110 and 140.
I also have NO idea why they say to not use it in the .41 magnum..ALL bullet weights. I load a lot of .41 mag, never tried Blue Dot in anything but the .357 mag with 158 gn bullets.
Frankly..These warnings smell very "Lawyerly". That is to say...born out of incidents that resulted in a big lawsuit settlement that Alliant wishes to avoid repeating.
In all my years of reloading cartridges ranging from very mild .38 special "wadcutter" loads...all the way up to the .458 Win Mag loads I bet my life on when hunting Elephant and Cape Buffalo...I've avoided being "experimental". I follow manufacturer's guidance in the manuals and have never had a problem.
I will follow Alliant's guidance..period. Don't care where it's coming from, or what it's based on. Too many other excellent choices.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was with a friend who was teaching his wife to shoot a revolver. She was so close to the card board target she could not have missed. The husband was using a friends reloads.
On the 4th shot I noticed there were only 3 holes in the cardboard. I yelled for her to stop shooting. We checked the gun and there was a bullet stuck in the barrel about 0.5 inches from the muzzle.
So I never share reloads not even mine with anyone. You just never be sure of how well they are assembled.
Break them down and save the bullets and cases and toss the powder.
John

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I like Blue Dot. I bought Blue Dot specifically to load in my .41 mag and did so for a few years before Alliant pulled the data and issued the warning. I stopped using Blue Dot in the .41 mag and do not use it in 125 grain .357. I like it behind 158 jacketed. Nothing about this situation makes sense to me. But I have no reason to buck Alliant's new recommendations as there are many, many powders that do work well and do not have these restriction. Probably gonna just dump my remaining Blue Dot at some point just to get rid of it. It does seem strange that it works in 10mm, .357 above 125, .44 and .44 mag but it does not work in .41 mag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts