Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite .357 load with a HDY XTP 158 Grain bullet???? Powder wise and grain that is???? Thanks

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
16.0 grains of either WW296 or H110. Winchester primer. It's a little less than max and works fine in ALL of the .357s I own. These two powders are the same animal, so whatever container or logo is on the outside, it shouldn't matter. Older lots might not be. Alliant has a new "300MP" that looks real interesting. It is supposed to help duplicate "factory" velocities.

10.0 grains of Accurate No 7 or 13.0 grains of Accurate No 9 would do in a pinch.

I shoot a lot of Cast Bullets and "Plated" bullets with other powders like Unique, for reduced loads.

Always double check your data. These loads are a little less than Max, as far as I know, but you need to start at the starting loads and work up with your components and guns.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Quack has it right. Check the book...sometimes 110 needs a mag primer. I still use a lot of 2400 in the 357 but now believe 110 might be better.

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
My go-to Magnum handgun powder is Accurate #9. It can be downloaded slightly, and has a lot less muzzle flash than 296/H110.

There is good info on the Accurate site.

A hot primer is not a bad idea in the 357. I prefer the Fed 200, which is a small rifle primer used in 22 Hornet, 30 Carbine, and 357 Magnum factory loads.

DO NOT USE THIS PRIMER IN HIGH PRESSURE ROUNDS, OR IN THE AR PLATFORM. They will pierce in one case, and exhibit slamfires in the other.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
I have always gotten my best accuracy at max velocity out of IMR4227 when loading loading for my Marlin lever gun or my Smith revolver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.