Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to buy a 308 auto.i am looking at a rem742 and a win 100.priced about the same.is one any better than the other.what would be my best bet.

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
BARs are good too...a bit more accurate than the other two in most cases and not a lot extra moneywise if you keep an eye out

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
If you want a self loading Game rifle, the Browning beats them all. It won't take a detachable mag of any consequence, so will likely be unaffected by any knee jerk laws passed next spring.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The newer Win./Browning Short trak rifles are not very popular but are VERY accurate.
My Dad has several M-100 Win.'s and they are good, esp. the carbines are quite handy.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
The BAR is an excellent rifle.........As for the ones mentioned, the Rem 742 or Win 100 - I think the Win 100 is the better rifle, I have had and still have Win 100 and Win 88's ) - the Remington 742 is an OK gun- it is easier to take apart for cleaning and maintenance than a W-100 and the fact that parts are an issue for the W-100, gives the edge to the Rem 742 for the average rifleman --- by the way, the 742 (7400) and 760 (7600) points like an 870

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had both the 742 in .280 Rem. An excellent rifle and caliber. I bought one 1n 1960 and I still have one in the safe.and the Win.100 in 6mm Win. Had firing pin probllems and jamming with the Win. Bought a BAR .243 and traded the Win in. Love the BAR. Now I have the BAR also in .280.
i

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For a few bucks more buy a BAR.In a year you will be happy you did.The triggers on the 2 rifles you mentioned are not good.

Darr

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I like the browning but the way you have to load it leaves me cool plus placing the rifle down on a tree on a jacket for a quick long shot the magazine bottom is too exposed to be accidently pushed and opened. In my life anything that can happen will . Still undecided, even looking at lever action they are more fool proof, still undecided. Lee

·
Registered
95 Posts
This has been one of the most civil discussions I've seen TS. Congrats. No sniping, no name calling no experts. There ARE gentlemen out there. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
25,281 Posts
If you are not married to the .308 case itself but want a .30 cal with very similar performance, in fact, almost duplicate performance, and are considering a lever gun, you might consider the Marlin 308 Express.

For a .308 in a lever gun, that leaves either the Browning BLR, or a good used Savage 99 or Winchester 88. The latter two are not seen very often. Most 99s around here are chambered in 300 Savage.

I'm not a big fan of the BLR, but a friend has one in 243 with a 4x scope, and it's a coyote killing machine.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a BAR 30-06 sweet gun, accurate. has a nice scope and a seethrough scope mount so you can use the iron sights if needed for close shots. jmho the BAR.
Bob S

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I duck hunt with 2 guys that deer hunt in WY/MT both have 308's and they want me to go with them next year so I thought I would buy a 308,then all the amo would be the same. they both shoot bolt act but I have one hand, so the semi auto.this is one of those been there done that. will be a 5 or 6 shot deal.Thank you all for the help.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I have a blr in .308. A nice gun but a little slow on the second shot. Very accurate. I have friends [2] that have had problems with the 742, but they were both chambered in 30-06. Cycling problems. Bill

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The problem is there is no problem, its me, the .308 auto is heavier than the BLR, the Browning auto is excellent for a auto.
Finding a Savage 99.308 is almost nil.
Brian- the marlin express cartridge leaves too much when they stop producing it, you will wind up having to load it yourself. Its also close to .300 savage why use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.