Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Self quarantine Sunday, I busted out the 300BLK SBR. Had not messed with it in almost two years. Fine tuned my subsonic load, then loaded up a couple hundred rounds.

Spent the rest of the afternoon converting .223 brass into 300BLK. Forgot how much that sucked!

Anyone else passing the time with pistol/rifle reloading? What are you working on?

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Self quarantine Sunday, I busted out the 300BLK SBR. Had not messed with it in almost two years. Fine tuned my subsonic load, then loaded up a couple hundred rounds.

Spent the rest of the afternoon converting .223 brass into 300BLK. Forgot how much that sucked!

Anyone else passing the time with pistol/rifle reloading? What are you working on?
I hear ya on the brass. I managed to speed things up by purchasing a miniature chop saw I bought at Harbor Freight Tools. Is is basically a power saw for small hobbies. Anyway, I fashioned a jig with a stop and mounted on the saw table after removing the small vice that came with it. I was able to cut 223 brass down efficiently and quickly.

The saw blades are tough and lasted quite a while by applying gentle pressure and letting the saw do the work. HFT also has replacement blades. I discovered if I chamfered the cut end before sizing, it went a whole lot quicker. I was able to turn out around 500 cases in a couple days.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Fine tuned my subsonic load
Just curios, What's yours ?
Lately I'm loading 8gr of 4227 under 180gr Speer soft point boat-tails. I like the sound (or lack of), but I'm not getting last round bolt-hold open.
( I really ain't worried about that too much though)

8.5gr was good to go also, but 9gr cracked super-sonic a few times outta 10... Seems that rifles first shot is always pretty low - maybe 'cause the first shot burns up all the oxygen in the can ??? First shot only and the rest group really close. weird

*Edit* I just remembered - I just started using up a bottle of H-110... not workin' with 4227 right now.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curios, What's yours ?
Lately I'm loading 8gr of 4227 under 180gr Speer soft point boat-tails. I like the sound (or lack of), but I'm not getting last round bolt-hold open.
( I really ain't worried about that too much though)

8.5gr was good to go also, but 9gr cracked super-sonic a few times outta 10... Seems that rifles first shot is always pretty low - maybe 'cause the first shot burns up all the oxygen in the can ??? First shot only and the rest group really close. weird

*Edit* I just remembered - I just started using up a bottle of H-110... not workin' with 4227 right now.
I’m loading 10.5 grains of A1680 under 190gr Nosler Custom Competition. Average velocity just under 1,000 FPS. I am getting BHO. Rifle is my build, 8.5 inch barrel and Silencerco Omega suppressor.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I started loading metallic rounds 20ish years ago, When I started learning about 'goin' quiet' with the BLK - I learned more in 6 -12 months than I ever did...
Lots of frustration and Lots of fun !!! Here's my latest 'truck gun'... With the green light and the Leupold VX-R, night time is play time ! lol

.300 BLK 001.JPG
.300 BLK 002.JPG

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ineedto cast a bunch of 9mm bullets also need to load up some more 22/250 Ackley improved and start working a load up for in the words of my 7 year old 6.5creamer lol just took one of my 223 bolt rifles getting it punched out to Ackley improved

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started loading metallic rounds 20ish years ago, When I started learning about 'goin' quiet' with the BLK - I learned more in 6 -12 months than I ever did...
Lots of frustration and Lots of fun !!! Here's my latest 'truck gun'... With the green light and the Leupold VX-R, night time is play time ! lol

View attachment 1665819 View attachment 1665821
So true! I started reloading pistol in 1995. Added .223 to the mix probably 2005ish. Learning to load the 300BLK kicked my ass! Frustrating indeed.

64534751-4C7B-4AB0-9F24-F0BDCC4F4589.jpeg

·
Registered
119 Posts
300 blackout . Try 17 grs of imr 4227 rem 7.5benchrest primer . Great luck with 150 gr sst bullets slso 125 gr Sierra's but imr 4227 by far best powder ive used and tried

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
300 blackout . Try 17 grs of imr 4227 rem 7.5benchrest primer . Great luck with 150 gr sst bullets slso 125 gr Sierra's but imr 4227 by far best powder ive used and tried
I assume that is a supersonic load. What velocity are you getting? I used H110 under the Hornady 110gr V-Max for my super loads.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
Here is the supposed “wisdom” of the gun writing dildo-breaths.

“All 300 BLK bullets start out with decent velocity: 110-grain bullets crank out of the muzzle at 2,350 fps. Because the cartridge uses a large bullet and has limited case space for powder, the bullets tend to shed velocity more quickly than other .30-caliber cartridges.”

From an article by Bob Sadowski in Gun Digest.
Pure bullshit as we know. Any .30 cal bullet fired from any case, big or small, through a similar length and twist bbl., using big loads of powder or small loads of powder, to the same velocity , will shed that velocity at the same rate.

These guys are gloriously stupid. And they assume their readers are as well.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
These guys are gloriously stupid. And they assume their readers are as well.
I didn't see it but, there was some "dildo-breath" guy that was making a video that was supposed to be making fun of the BLK. After 'degrading' it's trajectory - he took a shot at 2" thick bullet-proof glass... It went right through it!!!!!!! So much for his adjenda. What a Dork ! lol

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
I didn't see it but, there was some "dildo-breath" guy that was making a video that was supposed to be making fun of the BLK. After 'degrading' it's trajectory - he took a shot at 2" thick bullet-proof glass... It went right through it!!!!!!! So much for his adjenda. What a Dork ! lol
Heh.
I’m trying to figure out how to best help my grandson get a deer capable cartridge for his blackout. I’m tending toward his first hunt be with factory ammo. He may pick a good accuracy bullet but one unsuited for hunting deer size critters.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Flash, one thing about the BLK, velocity is low enough that it shouldn't 'blow apart' a match bullet... I've had great success with Sierra Match Kings in hunting loads!

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
The SST is getting a bad wrap for 'blowing up' and not penetrating deer. BUT, that is coming from guys shooting faster calibers... SOO,,, the BLK might be a great candidate for that bullet?

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
People hunt deer with 243’s and 270’s. Once upon a time Colorado hunting regulations once read that no big game in Colorado could be hunted with bullets less than 70 grains. People hunt deer with revolvers using 357 caliber or larger. A 30 cal be it a 30-06, 30-30 or 300 Blackout should do he job.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Registered
938 Posts
Pure bullshit as we know. Any .30 cal bullet fired from any case, big or small, through a similar length and twist bbl., using big loads of powder or small loads of powder, to the same velocity , will shed that velocity at the same rate.
Actually Flash - it is not. He is correct -- though just how different the rate of decay of velocity is ... probably cant be practically noticed. Two different loads can have the same muzzle velocity but different acceleration. That is why they can vary in velocity decay rate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts