Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you explain the pro's and con's to a fairly new shooter of the barrel length? I have a 30" XT maybe the gun safe needs a 32" friend??? Will be for trap shooting. Thanks

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
its always good to have a backup gun, and if you want it to be a different length than so be it.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If your 30 inch barrel feels too light and/or whippy then maybe.
But then barrel weights may help that. Try to shoot a 32 inch barrel to see how you like it. As reyper stated all that are personal preference.

If you shoot doubles well with the 30 inch barrel, then try some single barrel guns for singles and/or handicap.

Jason

·
Premium Member
12,907 Posts
Many hunting shotguns have 26 inch barrels - then there was a push to 28 inches. Next on the scene were 30 inch barrels - until they were surpassed by 32-ers.

Last iteration was 34 inches, unless you count the crazy Browning extended choke (it is around 6 inches long).

People just keep think longer and longer barrels will 'get it done.' Soon you will be able to break a bird by hitting it with the barrel itself.

Many forget - it is not the size of the ship, nor the motion of the ocean, but the skill of the captain that gets it done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I shoot my 30" doubles gun for 16 and 20 yard trap and see no difference to shooting my 34" KX6S. I suspect longer yardage shooters might have a problem with a 30" gun. Also depends on what load you're shooting.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would encourage you to shoot a 32" version before you purchase it. And if possible shoot it a fair amount before buying.

as mentioned by some of the others, it is a personal thing. some folks get a long well with the longer barrels, others do not.

a few of the guys I shoot with thought they would really like 32" barrels and found out that it was not for them,

others get along great with them.

it is not just barrel length but also balance and fit come into play.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I shoot a 34" unsingle. When I pick up a 30" double it feels too short.
32" seems to be the popular choice these days. I watch the guns for sale adds and it looks to me as if the 30" guns move slower than the 32". If preferred 30" I wouldn't let that sway my purchase. shoot what works for you. There are plenty of people that wouldn't shoot anything but a 30"

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I had a 32" barreled shotgun that I owned for about 3 days. Never shot it and new it wasn't for me.
Like someone else said, ask someone if they would let you use their gun and see if it is something you like or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I believe the barrel weight plays into the equation. Some of the Beretta 30 in. barrels are just too light. I even added Skeet Man's brass weights to a set of 32in to barrels to bring the weight to an acceptable level.

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
I say buy the 32 inch barrels and forgetaboutit!!! If you find them a tad to heavy? Which I doubt most shooters can!!! Buy some Titanium chokes for the gun. Then it will be exactly the same as a 30 inch barrel.
When you go to sell the shotgun, and or barrel down the road. You'll Thank Me for this Info!!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
14,891 Posts
I've been shooting my 30" Butler semi auto on doubles. It has an extended tube, so it's like shooting a 35" double gun?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have two Citori Traps, except one is 30" and one is 32". I cannot say I can tell a big difference in shooting, either.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If I remember correctly some years back Al Ljutic, who was a pretty smart guy, did a study of barrel lengths, and concluded that 33" was ideal. My guess is that would vary some depending upon the shooter's size.
JEB

1 - 20 of 50 Posts