Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying, yes I searched here for the topic but got 0 results.

So anyway, I've been looking at the Browning Citori CXT. It says its a crossover type gun. I would like to have a nice O/U for occasionally shooting doubles, sporting clays & skeet. I just don't know which length to get. Please help me decide lol. Thanks all for your responses!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I shoot my Blaser F3 SuperSport 32" for everything including bunker trap. I am primarily a sporting clays guy though. Try shooting a few 32" guns if you get a chance. Lots of them out there now.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think it depends if you are a "small" person ,let's say under 165 pounds or so ,
or someone with a lot of upper body strength and have some weight . In most cases you don't feel the difference and I can tell you that from experience . About 5 or 6 years ago I did some "horse trading " and ended up with a 20 Ga C. Guerini and I did not know it had a 32 '' barrel , till maybe 6 month later . I think I did better with it then with a 30 '' 20 Ga on my K 80 , but never used either Gun on Trap doubles . That Gun came with an 8 oz weight in the stock and was swinging to the Target great and have to say , both Guns fit great .The few times a year I shoot Trap doubles I use a 32 ' 12 Ga O/U barrel ( not a Browning CXT ) and I use that for 16 yards and Hdcp as well . You have to rememder ,there is no "perfect " Gun for everything . Happy shooting and happy Spring > it's only 6 weeks away :) :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I shoot a Citori 725 32in sporting for trap, sporting clays, and skeet. I will say it gives me a little trouble in skeet mainly because I haven’t shot it as much as the other sports. I feel like the 32in barrels make a little bit of difference. I had a 30in a shot for a bit but I feel more confident with the 32s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,753 Posts
In the gun shop, the 30" barrels will feel better.

When shooting clay targets, the 32" will swing better after the first shot, on the way to the second target, and will provide a more steady swing on the longer range targets.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Are you a big guy? Do you sell your guns? 32" guns are much more desireable for resale, especially trap guns like the CXT. There are three iterations of the CX line now. The CXT has a monte carlo stock, and shoots 80/20 for most people. the CX is the true all purpose gun, and shoots 70/30. The CXS is leaning more toward the skeet/sporting side, and shoots 50/50. I have a CXS with 32" barrels that I use to shoot skeet, sporting, 5 Stand, Bunker trap, and trap games from the fence. It fits me, and shoots where I look. It is currently my favorite gun, and I own a few.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I am a better skeet than trap shooter.. I think I am more relaxed in skeet and think less/react more.. I also shoot sporting clays reasonably well. I use 32" barrels for all, but then again I am also 6'6" and as my mama use to say "big boned"..

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
It doesn't matter what size person you are. The gun will tell you what size barrels balance and swing best. Each gun is different. For K-80s and Rem 3200s 30" barrels handled best. For a Beretta Gold E the 32" O/U barrels handled best. My Perazzi wore lightened 34" O/U barrels and was perfect.

My 20b skeet/sporting/5-stand/hunting gun wears 30" barrels, because the 28" it was supposed to come with were too whippy. You just have to try everything for yourself. Don't let anyone tell you this is best, because you'll end up selling it and getting what really was best.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Go with what is comfortable for you, that said, I believe it is gun balance that is the determining factor for gun feel, not barrel length

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Different gun manufacturers/barrels will weigh differently. As an example, I have a set of 28” 12 gauge Beretta mobile choke barrels that weigh more than Beretta’s 32” Optima choked barrels. They feel completely different. Also have identical 30” k80 barrels (one factory choked and one fixed choke but Briley threaded) that have a weight difference of about 4 ozs due to the extra metal for threading the factory chokes. Now that difference in weight is at the muzzle so the swing dynamics are completely different. That being said, try to shoot the gun you’re interested in (both barrel lengths) and choose the one that feels best yo you. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Premium Member
3,145 Posts
My Grade III Citori has 30" barrels. I shoot it for trap, skeet, doubles, handi-cap, wobble trap, sporting clays and oscillating doubles.
I wish it had 32s.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
In the gun shop, the 30" barrels will feel better.

When shooting clay targets, the 32" will swing better after the first shot, on the way to the second target, and will provide a more steady swing on the longer range targets.

And, for resale. Sure, you will never sell it, but never say never.

·
Registered
11,111 Posts
So anyway, I've been looking at the Browning Citori CXT. It says its a crossover type gun. I would like to have a nice O/U for occasionally shooting doubles, sporting clays & skeet.
OK I feel I need to address four things here.
1) There is only a difference of 2 oz's between both barrel lengths on current models. You will never, never ever notice this difference. I don't care how your built!!!
2) The only reason you would want a 30 inch barrel is if you are planning to have Briley install a set a full length sub-gauge tubes in both your barrels & shoot competitive Skeet. A 32 inch sub-gauged tubed shotgun gets a bit heavy for the average Joe to swing. Though 32 inch sub-gauge barrels are used by many Sporting Clay shooters for the sub-gauge events. Otherwise for just shooting skeet in the 12 ga. a 32 inch barrel shotgun will work just fine for the average Joe to use.
3) I would recommend the CX line for your needs. You should shy away from a 70/30 POI shotgun if you want to shoot both Skeet, Sporting Clay's & Trap!!! A 70/30 POI is strictly used for Trap Only.
4) The resale value of a used 30 inch barreled "Target Shotgun" is very poor, so it will be a harder, more time consuming sale, than if you had a 32 inch barrel target gun of the same make and model. Best of Luck on your Journey into the Clay Target World. Don't forget to break em all Jeff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts