Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't buy new shells as I reload my own. A new member asked me about 3 dram shells that were for sale at Walmart. They were #8 lead 1250 fps but 3 dram, not 2 3/4. I'm guessing he's about 70-73 years old. Will the 3 dram make a big difference in recoil for him? He's about 6 ft. tall and about 175lbs. He shoots a BT-99.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I bought 9 flats of them two years ago,beat the snot out of me I was flinching just looking at them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Buy a box and let him try them. I'm old and shoot lots of them. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to learn to flinch.
If they are too "hot", don't buy any more. How much will it cost to try? $5-6?
Mike

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why is he looking at them, price--only thing available???? They will have more recoil, what is he using now?? I'm 5'9" ---150#----75 yrs old, shoot a pump, wouldn't want to shoot them (3x1&1\8) as a steady diet, but can handle a box or 2 for games. I do re-load, my normal load is 7\8oz, don't shoot much registered but if I did\do I use 1oz @ about 1150\1180. Ross Puls

·
Registered
431 Posts
I shoot 3 dram everything....singles and caps to keep it simple
I noly shoot 3 dram top guns for singles and 3 dram gold medals for caps...even though fps is the same..the top guns are very noticeably softer

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Tell him to shoot 20 flats or so, and then get a hold of me. I have some BT-99 release trigger parts.
Recoil doesn't cause the trigger freeze eliminated by using a release trigger.

As for the shells, he should shoot some. A lot of people are not bothered by recoil and won't notice the difference.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's CHEAP! I know that in so many ways he shoots, etc. Took him months to find the gun, 1 lesson to learn, etc Because I don't shoot factory ammo, wasn't sure what the heck he was getting pounded with. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Shitcan the term Dram. It's useless if you can count to 1200. I don't know what that means???? Explanation please?
I don't know exactly what he is trying to say and cannot speak for him but I will try and shed some light here. First off a "Dram" is an outdated Black powder measurement. In the old days 3 "Drams" of Black Powder pushed one and one eight ounces of shot in a 12 Ga. at 1200 feet per second so the industry set the 1200 FPS as a "3 Dram Equiv. load". For years the ATA allowed ONLY that speed for 1-1/8 oz. of shot. But there WAS a can of worms. The Industry ALSO allowed a variation up to an extra 90 FPS so according to industry standards 1290 FPS was STILL legal as a 3 Dram load due to legal variance . Actually new factory shells were clocked at 1250 to 1275 on chronographs even when the 3 Dram rule was understood to be 1200 FPS . The ATA was aware of this and a few years ago the "DRAM "requirement was dropped completely in the ATA rule book and replaced by FPS limits ONLY for a particular shot charge weight. Now 1290 FPS is the max for 1-1/8 oz. . After all that is said any shell clocking over 1200 FPS is going to TALK to you when you fire it. Some people are more recoil sensitive and with a bad shoulder I admit to being one of these!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I see a lot of new shooters using 3 dram loads. When first starting out I think the excitement of breaking targets and enjoying the game dulls the recoil for someone who doesn't know better. After a while someone will give them some 2 and 3/4 dr shells and they usually change to that load;especially for 16 yd, trap but may still feel compelled to use the 3 dr for caps even though a new shooter's handicap yardage wouldn't require such a load. I personally HATE 3 dram loads.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New shooter ~ Old guy... Trying to get him to buy 1oz loads. He's cheap and buys what is on sale. I'm trying to convince him to NOT getting pounded. When I watch him shoot and the end of his barrel "jumps" when he shoots, I'm thinking the recoil is getting to him and he shoots over the bird.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
If the gun fits you shouldn't have a recoil issue.

1145 fps is a good speed up to the 23 or so and
1200 fps is plenty for long yardage.

Reactions: flyer47

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good information above. I've always thought it was interesting that the 1200 FPS AAM Heavy Target Loads and the 1250 FPS AAHA Super Handicap Heavy Target Loads are both marked 3 dram.

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
If he's shooting long yardage handicap, sure.
There is no substantial difference between in performance between 1145 loads and 1250 loads from the 27 yard line. However, printing "Handicap" on a shell box is marketing genius. I sometimes interchange boxes 1145 and 1250 shells in the same round without noticing any difference in recoil or target breaks.

These 1250 fps 3 Drams will get your attention.
They sure got mine. LOL Exactly the shells I used last Sunday to shoot 49/50 from the 27 but not being recoil sensitive, never noticed the recoil. Everyone is different. That's why if the old guy doesn't mind shooting 3 Dram, let him.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts