Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering replacing my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a new one. I have a neighbor who bought one and a valve spring failed at 27,000 miles necessitating a $4000,2 week repair. The repair was covered by warranty.

Any experience with the 3.6 out there? The Hemi?

Jim

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Both Mopars...both good motors..the valve spring failure was a fluke or it was over revved at one time...I'd go hemi...the mileage wont be hardly any different but no comparison in the power/torque dept...resale value will always lean to the hemi favor too....I wish jeeps still had the old 4.0 inlines

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I had a Jeep CJ-5 with a cast iron Buick Dauntless V-6, just like the old V-8 with 2 cylinders cut off.

That sucker had torque galore, and would go 75 in second which for a short wheelbase car in 1971 was hauling.

They went to the AMC straight 6 the next year. They used AMC V-8's too.

HM

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Enterprise has Grand Cherokee Limiteds with the 3.6L engine in rental and executive car service and they drive great. Our son and daughter-in-law recently bought a 2013 from us and he actually thought it was a V8 until he looked under the hood.

Ed

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Be careful and watch for oil consumption issues. A friend had Jeep with the 3.6 and would use 3 to 4 quarts in side of 3000 miles. No leaks and no blue smoke at idle. The problem was under load they replaced his engine after 2 oil consumption test.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am on my second 3.6. Put 40k onDurango with no issues. Have 10k on my 14 Ram 1500 already. Love the new 8 speed trans. I can get 25 to 26 on hwy with it.
I imagine you will get even better than that on the lighter Grand Cherokee.
My son has 60k on his 3.6 Caravan already . Had a check engine light caused by
Jiffy Lube putting in wrong oil. Dealer changed oil and light has never returned.

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
halfmile,

I had a 76 CJ-5 with the 304 V-8 in it.

I put headers and duel exhaust on it. Blew the three speed manual (why did it EVER ship with that tranny?) and dropped a four speed in it. Added two leafs to the rear spring sets and one to the front sets - handled wonderfully (you would have really worked to have rolled it).

She would spin wheels in first and going into second - could get a nice chirp dropping into third as well.

A 4000 lbs rocket.

I miss that old girl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts