Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seriously is as it can completely crush everything from 16 and 20 yards. I think I could run a 27 with it too if I tried 7.5 and that’s coming soon. I run singles very consistently and it makes me really in the gun because it’s a small pattern there’s not room to be off. I shoot 27 mostly with 9/8oz but guys wanted to do a 20 I thought what the heck I grabbed some 3/4oz #8 and I got a 24. I was smoking them! STS, ched209, 14.5gr A24, Claybuster 3/4oz wad, #8.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Did you mean 7/8's @ 27 yards ? If so, if you're on them 7/8's will crush them and even if your NOT still breaks the target enough to put an "X" on the score sheet. I just finished testing 3/4's in 20 ga hits the White Flyer like 7/8's so don't need 7/8's any longer. Their must be a "run" on 3/4 oz wads, back ordered from my supplier. Once you try the 3/4 oz load you'll be pleasantly surprised. Their is a debate if you need to push them faster than previous pay loads? I ran my 3/4 oz 20's @ 1200 FPS, can throttle them up to 1250 while that would need a patterning board.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The real challenge is training yourself to "run them" with 3/4 oz then add additional desired charge weights for the 100x100. I remember an old story of late Wayne Mayes ( National NSSA Titles) trained on light charges with full choke @ Skeet. when he ran them then added the regulation shot charges to earn a spot on station 3, 4 & 5. I watched him run 10 boxes in a shoot off to win HOA.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The real challenge is training yourself to "run them" with 3/4 oz then add additional desired charge weights for the 100x100. I remember an old story of late Wayne Mayes ( National NSSA Titles) trained on light charges with full choke @ Skeet. when he ran them then added the regulation shot charges to earn a spot on station 3, 4 & 5. I watched him run 10 boxes in a shoot off to win HOA.
Yeah, and skeet is a horse of a different color. Try them from the 27 and get back with us. It's funny sometimes when posts like this get started. Someone touts 3/4 or 7/8 ounce loads and use something like skeet or bunker as an example, and then a post comes up that long yardage shooters should use 1 ounce to handicap them at the 27. If light loads trip your trigger, great, but I don't think I'll worry about meeting a person using them in the shoot offs.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I lik
Yeah, and skeet is a horse of a different color. Try them from the 27 and get back with us. It's funny sometimes when posts like this get started. Someone touts 3/4 or 7/8 ounce loads and use something like skeet or bunker as an example, and then a post comes up that long yardage shooters should use 1 ounce to handicap them at the 27. If light loads trip your trigger, great, but I don't think I'll worry about meeting a person using them in the shoot offs.
Right on. If there was a great advantage everyone would use them in competition. They are lots of fun for just screwing around or stretching your reloading just a bit more.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
The heaviest shot allowed in the Grand is 1.125oz. With that load, it is not unusual to see semi-finalists' scores at l00, 100, 100, 100,100, 100..... Are those scores indicative of something? Perhaps, 1.125oz is overkill for people with such skill (but apparently not for us lesser shooters)? How many shoot-offs yield the top man? More than one? Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Yep, internaional is limited to 24 grams, 370.4 grains of shot. 7/8 oz is 382 grains. 1 1/8 is 492.2 grains. I don’t believe there is a speed restriction on international loads. The Federal papers that I have are 24 grams of 8.5 shot @ 1325 FPS. They’re also copper plated which is allowed in international games. I have heard of but not seen much faster international loads. 1400+? Our international friends will be along shortly to set us right.

·
Registered
795 Posts
You are not alone with other trap shooters that the only shell has to be 1 1/8 oz especially @ 27. After as long as I've shot lighter pay loads have not handicap myself. Maybe one of these days you'll try it and if you do you'll be amazed as others that have tried it with success. Shooters have to have confidence in their equipment some succeed @ lighter charge weights while others trap game has to have every pellet that can be crimped into a shot cup. I don't worry about the other 4 stations if they are shooting 1 1/8 oz even if I loose its was NOT the shell.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
it‘s for practice only MG
The issue with practicing using that load, is you can make a perfect shot and not break the target. If you put the 3/4 Oz load on paper at 40 yards. You can clearly see how easy it will be for a target to pass right thru the pattern. It's just not dense enough for the consistency that I require.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
"...you can make a perfect shot and not break the target. "

I couldn't tolerate the thought. That's why I shoot .040 choke from the 16 and use #7.5. I have a 12" core that nothing can escape and another couple of inches that's very effective. And that's with 1 ounce of #7.5. At 16 yds I'm convinced 1 & 1/8 ounce is detrimental. That changes at about 25 yds. YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts