Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am running AA HS hulls, win 209 primer, claybuster 1075-20 wad with 12.5 grains of winchester super handicap and # 8 1/2 shot. really nice low pressure light recoil load.....
Joe

·
Registered
258 Posts
sts hull, 13.1 grains American Select, Cheddite primer, cb1075-20 wad. 1200 fps. Will absolutely crush targets. Extremely clean powder. Very little recoil.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
The clay buster wad with either green dot or international clays. Both work. Nice soft load in the 20 for new shooters

·
Registered
850 Posts
Clay Buster wads has the loading data in the wad bag. I have been shooting International Clays power in the 3/4 oz. loads for the past year and have noticed an increase in hull life. Shot a round of doubles from 3,4,and 5 last week using 3/4 oz. loads dropping only one bird, pretty good for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: Claybuster neon green 3/4oz wad, 13.5 grains of Green Dot, Winchester primer, #8 1/2 shot and Remington STS,Gun Club or Winchester AA HS hulls. Goes 1200 fps with a 30" barrel. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I have loaded many of this load for skeet or training younger shooters.
Rem. Gun Club or Premier hull or AA hull
RXP 20 wad or AA wad
14gr. of Green Dot
Any primer
This load has low pressure but it seems that the Rem. hulls load and crimp better.
I have not tried the new CB-1075 wads yet but will soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm just a casual user of this web-page and some of the threads, and I know that most of the folks that refer to the posts here are long-time shooters and/or reloaders. Having said that, I'll point out that some newer shooters and/or reloaders also read what's posted here from time to time and may even rely on the information they gleen from some of the "experts".

Whenever I read about a recipe for this load or that load, I always do so with a great deal of caution, especially when I read things that say "Any primer", or "This load has low pressure." I doubt if the poster has a pressure gun to test pressures, and interchanging hulls or wads or primers, even starting with published loads, is never a good idea regardless of the number of years you've been reloading. And just because Billy Bob or your Uncle Charlie have been using this load or that load without blowing themselves up, doesn't make it safe.

Just my two cents worth.

Pete Struck - Coeur d'Alene, ID

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pete Struck, I can't speak for everyone, but when I say low pressure, I am referring to published and tested load data. I would never recommend that someone start loading by another persons recipe, loaders should only go by published recipe's.
Regards.......Joe

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you don't really know what you are doing then of course stick to published loads. That said, I haven't shot a published load in years. One nice thing about the 3/4 oz. loads described so far (all very mild) is that you cannot get the pressure up to anywhere near recommended maximum NO MATTER WHAT PRIMER, HULL OR WAD YOU USE. The same thing goes for 1,200 fps 7/8 oz. loads in 12-ga.

Sticking to "book" recipes with such light loads is really to make sure you have ENOUGH pressure to get a clean (enough) burn so that you don't foul your gun with unburned powder.

Different story when you start shooting big loads using a lot of powder, putting you near the maximum. A change there if you don't really know what you are doing can produce a dangerous pressure.

But even there "dangerous" is relative. Recall Sherman Bell's famous experiment (published in the Doublegun Journal) to see how much pressure it would take to damage/blow up a DAMASCUS-barrelled 12-ga. He had to create DOUBLE the maximum pressure recommended for modern steel barrels and actions before damage appeared.

I would be far more worried about blowing my gun up with a HULL SEPARATION with a reload than I would be with mis-matched components. The former is easy to do, the latter nearly impossible, at least accidentally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts