Trapshooters Forum banner

3/4 oz verse 7/8 oz 12 ga

3816 Views 43 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  10tenner
3/4 oz less recoil, and cost savings. Thoughts....
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I didnt believe in 3/4 oz until a couple weeks ago . I had been shooting 7/8 and having a terrible day. in my third round, I figured things out with 7/8, but ran out of them and only had 3/4 oz left . I hit 12 of 14 shots with the 3/4 oz. The two misses were me .

I was using a muller U3 choke. It’s dimensions are between Briley modified and improved modified . However in my gun , the muller U3 patterned tighter and more uniform than the Briley lite full choke . It really made no sense to me, but I don’t have a measuring device to verify the restriction .

Considering shortage of supplies , I’m considering switching to 3/4 for this year . Maybe I miss a few shots I may have chipped with a heavier load . But I’m at the point where score is becoming a lot less important than just showing up to shoot !

· Registered
120 Posts
at a local club here , there are three gents in their late seventies and one just turned 80 . recoil was killing them all and a number of years back they all switched to recoil reducers , then release triggers and then later they switched to
3/4 ounce loads . if it wasn't for the 3/4 oz load they wouldn't be able to enjoy their sunday get together .
these hand loads use the least amount of powder on the chart that came with the wads . they break targets just fine from the 16 .
they haven't shot registered for an eon , but they are still shooters who enjoy the sport , promote their local club , and welcome new shooters .

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didnt believe in 3/4 oz until a couple weeks ago . I had been shooting 7/8 and having a terrible day. in my third round, I figured things out with 7/8, but ran out of them and only had 3/4 oz left . I hit 12 of 14 shots with the 3/4 oz. The two misses were me .

I was using a muller U3 choke. It’s dimensions are between Briley modified and improved modified . However in my gun , the muller U3 patterned tighter and more uniform than the Briley lite full choke . It really made no sense to me, but I don’t have a measuring device to verify the restriction .

Considering shortage of supplies , I’m considering switching to 3/4 for this year . Maybe I miss a few shots I may have chipped with a heavier load . But I’m at the point where score is becoming a lot less important than just showing up to shoot !
Fabarm U3 measures 0.22, 3/4 are fun to shoot...

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
at a local club here , there are three gents in their late seventies and one just turned 80 . recoil was killing them all and a number of years back they all switched to recoil reducers , then release triggers and then later they switched to
3/4 ounce loads . if it wasn't for the 3/4 oz load they wouldn't be able to enjoy their sunday get together .
these hand loads use the least amount of powder on the chart that came with the wads . they break targets just fine from the 16 .
they haven't shot registered for an eon , but they are still shooters who enjoy the sport , promote their local club , and welcome new shooters .
[/QUOTE)]

That is very good point, and they are still shooting and having fun!

· Registered
269 Posts
Have made Half oz loads and use them in skeet and they worked fine. Caught hell on this site because it was not a published load but as I said in the past, I have shot hundreds of these loads and never a problem. Tried them at trap but was not very successful.make your choice.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.