Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to try some 3/4 oz loads using 8 1/2 shot, Win AA hulls with a CB0175 wad, Win 209 primer and about 15 gr Extra-lite powder. Shells were loaded on a Spolar loader. I was surprised to see the crimps were extremely dished. I shot 50 today and they shot well and broke targets. They just didn't look too good. Any thoughts on why the dished crimps? I've loaded 7/8 oz that came out perfect with CB0178 wad.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depending on your OCD level, either an appropriate thickness of filler wad can be put under the shot or throw a couple of Cheerios on top of the shot.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I'm surprised you're getting "extremely dished" crimps. I use just slightly more volume of e3 in my 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads in AAHS hulls with CB0175-12 wads and get very reasonable crimps. Could you have used CB0178-12 wads by mistake? Is your wad seating pressure more than minimal? -Ed

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like Ed suggests - is your wad depth set too low ? It is quite easy to raise it up a bit. A call to Spolar will get you on track for sure. Regards ES

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t have any trouble loading down to 7/8 loads with great crimps. I’m using the correct 0175 wads. I further compared the wad height with the 0178 wad and they’re the same.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Not familiar with the Spolar, but I had to adjust the wad pressure on my Mec 9000 to zero to clean up a similar situation.
I figure the wad setting tube was 'pre-crushing' the wad a bit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
the wad height is the same on both of claybuster wads but the 3/4oz wad has a nipple molded i the inside bottom. You could place a bean or punch out some filler wads to help with your crimp isues.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Zero wad pressure. That’ll be your answer. I load the same load with 14.5 gr extra lite and I’m at zero wad pressure. Good crimps and nice shooting shell.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I loaded a box of 3/4 oz 12 ga loads to see how they would perform. Haven't shot them yet, so no results to report. I loaded 14.7 gr of 700-X with a CB 1075 in Rem STS hulls. There is a slightly dished crimp, but that's not surprising given the range of powder amounts listed. I used the CB loading data for that wad which goes from 13.7 gr for 1150 fps up to 17 gr for 1300 fps. So I'm on the low side (~1200 fps). I suspect that going up to 17 gr would result in better crimps.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I loaded a box of 3/4 oz 12 ga loads to see how they would perform. Haven't shot them yet, so no results to report. I loaded 14.7 gr of 700-X with a CB 1075 in Rem STS hulls. There is a slightly dished crimp, but that's not surprising given the range of powder amounts listed. I used the CB loading data for that wad which goes from 13.7 gr for 1150 fps up to 17 gr for 1300 fps. So I'm on the low side (~1200 fps). I suspect that going up to 17 gr would result in better crimps.
Better crimps and better performance as well.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use your same combination but 16.2 gr. of Titewad. According to my bushing chart, I am filling more space on the powder. I use just over zero wad pressure and all mine come out perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try 16 gn of Extra Lite in the CB-0175-12, mine come out great. Breaks targets great. Listed in Alliant"s site with a CB-0178-12 and a Win 209 primer. CB-0175-12 is the equivalent of a CB-0178-12 with a built in spacer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wanted to try some 3/4 oz loads using 8 1/2 shot, Win AA hulls with a CB0175 wad, Win 209 primer and about 15 gr Extra-lite powder. Shells were loaded on a Spolar loader. I was surprised to see the crimps were extremely dished. I shot 50 today and they shot well and broke targets. They just didn't look too good. Any thoughts on why the dished crimps? I've loaded 7/8 oz that came out perfect with CB0178 wad.
The standard shot drop tube in the Spolar is a twenty gauge that will interfere with the nipple in the ¾ wad, setting it too deeply. Get a 12 gauge shot drop tube, and you may have to shorten that a bit (⅛).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts