Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to load 3/4 ounce 12 gauge and have a quick question. I have loaded tons of 1 oz and 7/8, but new to 3/4. I am using STS hulls, Claybuster 3/4 oz wad with Promo or Extra Lite since I have both on hand. My question is the primer. I have a lot of Winchester primers and like them, but all of the published load data lists Remington's. is there a problem with switching the primers?
I set my machine up for 16 grains of Promo since I've heard that the faster the better with 3/4. Dumb question I know, but just no sure with the 3/4 load.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Suggest you give the manufacturers of those powders a call. The information you'll get will be straight out of the horses' mouth and first hand!

·
Registered
823 Posts
15 gr. promo worked well in the rem cases. Primer swaps are usually no problem if the pressure is kept down. Same result using win, ched, fio; feds are slightly warm. Running the velocity much up above 1150-1200 gains practically nothing, just more kick, as the 3/4 oz loads are best used at closer range anyway.

The Extra-lite will give a cleaner burn, with less residue. Good luck, GAP

·
Registered
732 Posts
The bag of ClayBuster 0175-12 wads contains load information. Their habit seems to be matching the primer brand to the hull brand. Of course asking the powder manufacturer's advice is always best, but as was said earlier, with pressures well below maximum, substituting the Winchester primer in place of Remington should work fine. -Ed

·
Registered
233 Posts
At the pressures 3/4 ounce loads generate, primer swapping isn't an issue.In fact, increasing pressure a bit can help with cold weather performance, especially in autos.
Dave

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Not a dumb question in my book.

I shoot a lot of 11/16th's loads and the pressure is not an issue as regards to primers. You would be under 10,000PSI on 3/4 oz. loads @ 1300fps. and less. For performance on these light loads, the hotter the primer the better IMHO, therefore, I use Fed. With a full choke, great practice loads. The problem is, you end up shooting more.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I am going to load some with Promo and some with Extra Lite and try them out!
Thanks,
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts