Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
What shells would be good to reload?
The Winchester AA's are by far the best. The STS's will give you about 1/2 of the reloading's that the AA's will give you. Nobody, I mean Nobody reloads Federals in the sub-gauges.

The best powder to reload them with is 20/28 as well. Unless you want some 1,300 fps loads in Sporting Clays. Then Longshot powder should be better.

If you can hold off until April? Winchester should have there 2 dollar rebate back at that time. You can get 2 bucks off a box at that time. Just buy one case to hold you over until then if you need too. I hope you enjoy the 28 ga. as much as I do. It is by far my favorite gauge to shoot. Enjoy your Journey into the 28 ga. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
158 Posts
I use the the Winchester 28 ga AAHS shells and have loaded them on both a MEC Grabber and now a Spolar with 20/28 or Pro Reach powder and have great success. They reload nicely.

I did notice a difference in reloading the AAHS shells on the MEC (this does not appear to be as much of an issue on the Spolar). I had trouble getting the wads in on some of the AAHS shells. When I would buy the initial shells new online I ordered the skeet ones. When I purchased them new at Wal Mart, I purchased the Supersport (that is what is carried by local Walmarts in my area). The Supersport loaded much nicer than the skeet shells. Then one day I was inspecting the shells and I noticed the Supersport shells were a tad longer (1/16 to 1/8 of an inch). They opened better which allowed the wad to go in easier.

The Supersport shells have Supersport written on the side of them. It was interesting to discover

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
About as good as it gets for 28 ga!
I dunno about that. I'm really happy reloading the old style Winchester AA's!!! Yes, I have a good supply of the newer HS hulls as well.

I have it on good authority that Winchester is about to launch a new line of target Shot Shells. They will be even more expensive than there AA line from what I hear as well. Directed toward the Sporting Clay shooters as well. Keep your eye's open everyone. Both types should be out by April or May so I hear. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Although I agree that AA's and STS's are probably the best, I have had surprisingly good luck using 28 gauge Estate hulls.

I don't shoot 28 gauge a lot, so I don't end up reloading these hulls a lot of times, usually 2 or 3 and then pitch them.

They have a fiber base wad, but it holds up OK to a few reloadings.

I use a Winchester primer and a Federal 28S1 wad, on top of 14.5 grains of Hodgdon Universal Clays with 3/4 ounces of shot, or whatever it is my MEC 600 Jr. charge bar throws.

I use them for my company skeet league through some "shortie" Briley Sidekick sub-gauge tubes and this combination works surprisingly well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
AA HS, AA old style, or STS. They all use different wags and slightly different recipes for powder, so preferably stay with the same one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Best thing to do is buy a few cases of 28 gauge Winchester AA during the rebate. I am cheap and picked out a bunch Remington STS 28g out of hull can. I have had terrible luck loading them . I even adjusted my spolar to get good crimps. The Remington American Clay Field load better but most of the time you find them there more than the AA' s. I bought 3 cases at Cabelas when they where on sale and I had gift cards I wanted to use up. Can't wait till there gone put my machine back to Win AA and just stick with it.

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
AA for sure. Fortunately, I have enough 28 ga. AACF hulls to last the rest of my life for all the more I shoot a 28 ga.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Nobody, I mean Nobody reloads Federals in the sub-gauges.
Almost nobody...

I bought my tubes last summer from a guy on here. Before they arrived, I went around to all the WalMarts in my area and cleaned their shelves of 28ga Top Guns. At the same time I bought 500 once fired AA HS hulls from a buddy at one of my clubs.
I started loading them both back to back - The AAs split and burn up the side and burn-out at the crimp fold constantly. The Federals after 6,7,8,maybe some have 9 or 10 reloads on them now are still absolutely great other than a very few are getting a little bit loose in the primer pocket...
I'd say I've only loaded 200 or so of the AAs, and through circulation - I've had to pitch about 30 or so...
The Federals - probably 4 ! And those were ones that I screwed up while 'charging' the wad into the hull and cutting or crushing it...
I keep loading & shooting the Feds over and over and over !

( Came back to add ) The AAs - at most, had 4 reloads on them.
Both hulls 13 grains of 20/28 and 3/4 oz shot cb5034 wad.

·
Registered
11,313 Posts
Both hulls 13 grains of 20/28 and 3/4 oz shot cb5034 wad.
Well, Your the only one I know of that have trouble with the new HS hulls in 28 Ga. Every one I know are getting 8-12 loads out of them. The 410's are 25% or so less. I suggest you have a gunsmith check your current 28 ga. tube-set for the chamber size you have. I have a feeling someone may have expanded your tube-set with some overloaded shells at one time???

Are your sub-gauge tubes Briley's? or Kolar's? Either way if your chambers are now over-sized? You should be able to get a new chamber made for them to correct this? Its also possible you got a bad batch of AA hulls as well? Who knows.

Are you using the same Winchester primers for both hulls? Alliant's website shows the same pressures with the same wads & powder drops, but show you need Federal primers to achieve this in the Federal hull. It also shows AA's primers for the AA hull. So if your using a slower primer like Winchester you should be getting lower pressures with these hulls. This could account for longer hulls life, since your federal loads will be slower than your AA's. Have you double checked your scale lately? If your chambers measure OK, then I would switch over to Longshot powder for your AA's. & use up the 20/28 for your Federal's. Good Luck. break em all Jeff break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Jeff, They are Briley Companions... I almost always use Win 209s, I did just shoot up 1600 CCI 209s that I got for $20. But I am sure that primer swap should be just fine.
I hope my chambers ain't blown-out ! that would suck, but I doubt that is the case 'cause I don't have any ejection issues with either hull outta the gun and they resize easily in my P/W375.
I load the exact same recipe in both hulls - I get perfect stack height and almost all perfect crimps with the AAs, and really good stack height and so-so crimps with the Feds.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Try Academy, they have pretty good prices and they have free shipping,, keep checking online for once fire hulls, just bought 1200 hulls for $100.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used to reload Estates also. Can get 12-15 reloads before they whistle and they smoke targets cheaper as everyone that uses them new just throws them out. The only problem I have with them is that they stick a little in my tubes. Not bad for practice shells

·
Registered
568 Posts
I shoot a lot of Estates but in 12ga, good shell and never had any problem from them.
Got about 500 Federal Top Gun 28ga that shot very well, tried reloading them but couldn't get the final crimp to come out,,, really didn't want to adjust the final crimp from my AA shell, maybe one day I'll try. Dan

21 - 38 of 38 Posts