Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to get my first 28ga gun. What shells would be good to reload?
I'm planing to pick up a new flat or two to 'seed' later reloading. I'll be shooting some skeet and 5-stand, club level events.

·
Registered
505 Posts
AA are your best choice. Remington's if you can find them. Federals and Estates are good for a couple reloads. The 28ga. is a great choice and your going to really enjoy shooting it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had several thousand Remington STS . I experienced great reloads with them. Plenty of room in the hull. The problem I encountered was hull separating from the base. Most of them went out of the barrel, MOST of them. I quit reloading them and now stick with the HS. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I have had similar poor results with the STS hulls. They make a pretty reload, but are short lived. Unlike Winchester field loads, Remmie field hulls have steel case heads.

Eurotrash and Fed hulls are good for one load, then toss them. You might get two loads, but they will separate. I use these in the release pump, and will not load them but once. I won't risk a bore obstruction with a failed case body in a fixed breech repeater. Moreover,tubes are likely to retain the failed body more often than a steel barrel.

I have shot more 28's than most folks. Stay with the AA-HS hull. They will split, eventually, and sometimes have a case head crack on the factory firing, but typically do not separate and stick in the bore. They are generally like Tootsie-Rolls. They last a long time.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,925 Posts
Winchester AA HS hull. The Remington 28 gauge hulls are just junk.

Reactions: mach1cj

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I have tried STS, Federal, and Winchester AA. The AA's are best by far. My favorite gauge. You will like it. Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I’m starting to see a pattern, LOL... Thanks folks.

Follow up question: Where are the good deals on a few flats of AA 28ga? :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another vote for AA’s, they load so easy. I have loaded hundreds of STS’s as well but I’m now having trouble with primers seating flush just like I did with the STS 410’s. AA’s never a issue.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts