Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
Does anybody have load info for a 28ga. WIN AA "CF" type hull using 20/28 Alliant Powder. Ive heard 13gr. to 13.5gr. My quest is to find a load that's 1200 fps, and under 10,000 psi.

Tried using 13grs. of Unique but it overfilled the shell.

· Registered
229 Posts
Unique is definitely bulkier and will take up more space than 20/28, as you’ve seen. You’ll want a tapered wad like CB1034-28. I don’t have a specific load for the CF hull though, sorry. I use 13 gr 20/28 with CB5034-28 and win 209 in the AA-HS hull and Alliant lists it at 1200fps and 10580 psi (note different wad and hull than you are asking about). Perhaps load some up and send off to Precision Reloading to confirm.

· Premium Member
877 Posts
I had some(2) loads tested using 20/28 in a CF hull using Unique data. I got a call to discuss for sure what was in the loads. I told them that I used all the same stuff that was labeled on the bag that they were sent in. WW209 primer, the pink Claybuster 28 ga wad, the WWAA cf hull crimped at 0.035" deep and the drop weights that were listed.
I was asked to not post those figures.
The velocity was average, certainly not equal to the WWAAHS Super Sport loads, but the pressures were well outside the acceptable parameters.
One load was well into the 15KPSI range and the other was about 14KPSI.
So I am telling you to not listen to those that say that 20/28 is a dense version of Unique and tell anyone that asks to not load it into a WWAACF hull and expect a good or safe load.
I did the work and don't want anything or person damaged in the long run.

· Registered
1,348 Posts
Alliant manual stipulates not to use the Claybuster CB5034 in the early Win AA hull, the CB5034 is specifically for Win AA HS hull.

Alliant 20/28 popular @ my club for 20 ga and 28 ga while Alliant loading data for 28 is limited. They used the Win AA HS hull NOT knowing I have thousands of the old style AA hulls.

The volume of 20/28 in both the 20 ga and 28 concerns me able to obtain a desired crimp and not deep dish for lack of stack height. I do like Alliant Extra Lite and 20/28 over my current Hodgdon powers achieving same velocity with lower pressures.

· Premium Member
8,121 Posts
12 ga. is much more forgiving than the smaller gauges. The lower you go gauge-wise, the less leeway you have. When you get down to 28 ga., the options are extremely narrow. It's real hard to deviate from data when you get down to that level. The advice to send loads that deviate from the 28 ga. data in for testing is sound. I would listen to it.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alliant manual stipulates not to use the Claybuster CB5034 in the early Win AA hull, the CB5034 is specifically for Win AA HS hull.

Alliant 20/28 popular @ my club for 20 ga and 28 ga while Alliant loading data for 28 is limited. They used the Win AA HS hull NOT knowing I have thousands of the old style AA hulls.

The volume of 20/28 in both the 20 ga and 28 concerns me able to obtain a desired crimp and not deep dish for lack of stack height. I do like Alliant Extra Lite and 20/28 over my current Hodgdon powers achieving same velocity with lower pressures.
Thank you, I agree

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had some(2) loads tested using 20/28 in a CF hull using Unique data. I got a call to discuss for sure what was in the loads. I told them that I used all the same stuff that was labeled on the bag that they were sent in. WW209 primer, the pink Claybuster 28 ga wad, the WWAA cf hull crimped at 0.035" deep and the drop weights that were listed.
I was asked to not post those figures.
The velocity was average, certainly not equal to the WWAAHS Super Sport loads, but the pressures were well outside the acceptable parameters.
One load was well into the 15KPSI range and the other was about 14KPSI.
So I am telling you to not listen to those that say that 20/28 is a dense version of Unique and tell anyone that asks to not load it into a WWAACF hull and expect a good or safe load.
I did the work and don't want anything or person damaged in the long run.
I couldn’t agree more.... need lower pressure, using a tube gun, Thanks for you input

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.