Trapshooters Forum banner

28 guage ?

4402 Views 45 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Signman150
The club I shoot at is starting a sub guage shoot every month, of course I don't have a 28, but now have the excuse to buy one. What would be a good o/u with a max. price of about $2500? Since no one makes a 28g trap gun(at least I cannot find one), would sporting clays gun or a field gun be best? My club does have a 5 stand range so the gun could double for that too. I am used to a Citori CTX with 32" barrels and a 870TB with 30" barrel, so a 28" barrel sc gun may mess me up a bit, but I guess that is part of the challenge. Then I will need a 28guage reloading press....... Any ideas on a decent gun in this price range appreciated, never shot a 28 before so I am new to this. Thanks
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
The club I shoot at is starting a sub guage shoot every month, of course I don't have a 28, but now have the excuse to buy one. What would be a good o/u with a max. price of about $2500? Since no one makes a 28g trap gun(at least I cannot find one), would sporting clays gun or a field gun be best? My club does have a 5 stand range so the gun could double for that too. I am used to a Citori CTX with 32" barrels and a 870TB with 30" barrel, so a 28" barrel sc gun may mess me up a bit, but I guess that is part of the challenge. Then I will need a 28guage reloading press....... Any ideas on a decent gun in this price range appreciated, never shot a 28 before so I am new to this. Thanks
You could order a Beretta SP in a 30-32” barrel

· Registered
2,251 Posts
Had a 30" Browning (XLT?) Shot very well and was rare (30") Really enjoyed it and shot it very well. Good friend wanted it for his kids and bought all. hulls,wads, reloader, powder etc. in a package deal. Get the 30" if you are lucky enough to find one. Would never have sold it if was not in my 80's. JMO

· Registered
18 Posts
I shoot quite a bit of 28 ga in the ring, sporting, and bunker. Fitted tubes will be your best option. There is no american trap target that can not be killed by a 3/4oz load. I have shot many straights and killed many birds that matter with that tiny shell. Surprisingly, I have to agree, the AA supersport 8.5 are amazing. I probably shot every make and style and stuck with them and B&P Extra Rossi Delux Nickel 7.5 1330s. Down the road when you fall in love with the game you can buy a Krieghoff, Blaser, or Perazzi and have weighted matching rib barrels fitted in 28ga. Take care.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the good advice.. I was looking at the Briley web page, is there a reason the companion 28guage tube set is not mentioned here? 28 is really all I am interested in, the fitted sets with all 3 guages is much more expensive and I really don't need the 20 and .410. I have a 20 guage, and no interest in .410. Thanks!!

· Registered
3,969 Posts
Been shooting Briley tubes in my MX8 for years for multiple games. Get an .008 and a .012 choke and you will be set. I originally ordered a .004 and a .015 at the time and never use the latter. Prior to the tubes, I had a 3 barrel 32" Guerini set that I liked very much but felt using my 12 gauge gun with tubes was more consistent across the 4 gauges.

· Registered
673 Posts
I would go with the full length Briley companion tubes. They will give you better ballistics than short tubes/inserts and you don't have to send your gun/barrels to Briley for fitted tubes. If you are only going to shoot singles, you might be able to talk Briley into selling you just one companion tube. The 28 ga. can be addictive so, you should probably get two tubes so you can shoot all 28 ga. games. Good luck and have fun.

· Registered
13,525 Posts
While I very much enjoy shooting my Briley tubes in my shotgun. They will add 12 oz.'s of weight to your shotgun. It does not take long to get used to the added weight and you'll soon forget about it. However, since you will taking them out and putting them back in all the time!!! You will be changing the weight of your shotgun and how it swings all the time as well. This could be a problem?
Of course if you buy a small gauge Browning shotgun. The chances are you will find a shotgun that is over 2 pounds lighter than your target shotgun. So you will not receive much in the way of a recoil reduction shooting the 28 ga. in a 2 to 2 1/2 pound lighter shotgun.

So in the end I kind of agree with Skeet_man. Try to buy the Briley's new 2.0 short tubes. You can use them in your current shotgun. Most likely your shotgun will not need the trigger conversion to shoot the 28? So you can just buy the 2.0 and tap them in your shotgun and your good to go. The added weight of these smaller tubes in hard to notice. YOu'll also enjoy the pleasure of shooting a shotgun that has almost no recoil. Good Luck and break em all Jeff

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.