·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have AA STS and Federal shells.

unique and 20/28 alliant powder

Winchester 209 primers

PC-28 and CB 1034-28 wads

I cant find a recipe for this I’m pretty well any combination. What am I missing? Besides a brain? I’m new to this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Judah:

First, welcome to TS.com.

Second, I'm having a difficult time understanding your question. If you are able to find recipes in any combination, that sounds like a good thing. Is there some other problem you are having finding data?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sooo,
AA compression formed or HS?
These wads
CB1034-28 (WAA28)
For use in 3/4 oz. 28 gauge loads, except in the Winchester HS hull.
Optimum load is 3/4 oz.
Are suitable for AACF hulls and Remington 28's.
CB1035-28 wads are suitable substitute for WAA28 wads.

Buy Claybuster
CB5034-28HS (WAA28HS)
For use in 3/4 oz. Winchester HS, or Federal hulls.

Alliant only lists primers by the same manufacturer as the hull.
Shoving a Win209 into a Remington 28 ga hull can be challenging, but that's another story.
You can use the Win 209 in place of the Rem 209 in 28 ga, but it can be a pain to insert it in the hull.

Reactions: phatkaw

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I was just starting to type sumthin' to this ^^^ effect... Good job ! I'm the slowpoke on this one...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is the mess of hulls I was given.

Top left are unknown? Anyone? Are they good to reload?

top right are novel sport hulls. Are they good to reload?

middle left are the AA’s I have

middle middle are fiocchi and Remington express hulls. Are these good to reload?

middle right are federal and say target. Are these good to reload?

bottom left are AAHS. What do I have to do differently with these? Just a different wad?

bottom middle are STS I gather load the same as AA just use a Remington primer instead?

bottom right are super x. Are these good to reload?

thank you all for the education

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
The best hulls are middle left and lower right, I think they load the same, AACF. Use Unique and the blue PC28 wads.

The green ones are mediocre. Lower right are great but you don't have the right wads. The rest are crap.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Hey, I forgot that I still had some FMJ loads from S&B. They shot just as good on paper but I like hollow points better for cats... (sorry Tron)
.22 mag shells 002.JPG

·
Registered
253 Posts
bottom left are AAHS. What do I have to do differently with these? Just a different wad?
bottom middle are STS I gather load the same as AA just use a Remington primer instead?
Toss the S&B hulls.
For the STS, the Remington primer is expensive, but may be less aggravating.
Lots of discussion regarding your options elsewhere on this site.
For the AAHS, just a different wad. CB5034-28HS (WAA28HS).

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The Eurotrash hulls can use Federal data. Some of them likely use oversize primer. You can sub win primers for 209A in the Alliant recipe.

The S&B hull is probably a Cheddite hull. Look for stars on the casehead.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
What is the difference between AA and AAHS hulls
Different construction. The AACF is what is called a tapered walled hull while the HS is straight walled. The two types call for different wad styles. If you cut one of each open all the way to the bottom, you will see the difference. The data differentiates between the two.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The WWAAHS hulls are nice and shiny and almost look wet. The WWAACF hulls are not shiny in comparison.
Your WWAAHS hulls need to be sorted by length or you will be chasing your tail trying to get good crimps. The dividing point is 2 5/8 ", Shorter goes in the short pile over goes in the long pile. It's enough different to require a change in crimper settings.
The Green STS hulls are generally much longer and also require a major change in crimper settings and a different wad than the HS but the same wad as the CF.
Confused yet?

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Federal data. Some of them likely use oversize primer. You can sub win primers for 209A in the Alliant recipe.
^^^ This is what I do with my Top Gun 28ga hulls. Great load ! Federal 209A primer - 13gr of 20/28 powder - 3/4oz shot - CB 5034 HS28 wad...
They smoke Champion targets ! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Eurotrash hulls can use Federal data. Some of them likely use oversize primer. You can sub win primers for 209A in the Alliant recipe.

The S&B hull is probably a Cheddite hull. Look for stars on the casehead.
It’s has stars

I take it they would use the HS style wads then?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts