Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for info on reloading with Pro Reach for 28 ga. people say you can use it but nothing on how many grains. The web site does not list it for 28 Gauge. Is it dangerous? Thank you, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I have been loading Pro Reach in my 28 ga. since it came out with no problems in my Briley tube set. When it first came out Alliant said to use 17.0 grs for a 1300 fps load. I load 15.5 and 16.0 with the DR Blue PC 28 wad Win 209 primer in either the AAHS or Rem STS hull. I have noticed on this forum that Alliant removed these loads from their website because the printed data had higher pressures than they had printed. As I said I have not had or seen any problems with it. FWIW. Bill

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I have noticed on this forum that Alliant removed these loads from their website because the printed data had higher pressures than they had printed. As I said I have not had or seen any problems with it. FWIW. Bill
This was a direct result of a buddy of mine having BP do ballistic testing of loads that were the exact load published by Alliant, and it turned out, they were over pressure.

At first Alliant pushed back and said their load was fine, but once he again sent them the reports, showing them being over pressure, they pulled the load data off of their website.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've been loading Pro Reach in 28 ga for years. Last year I randomly selected 10 shells from a batch that I had loaded and sent them to Precision Reloading in South Dakota to be tested. Every shell was within SAAMI standards. I loaded WW 28 HS hulls, WW 209 primer, 16.5 grains of Pro Reach, CB 5034 28HS wad, 3/4 ounce of 7.5 shot. Comment at the bottom of the results sheet said "Excellent Load." Average speed was 1330 fps with a standard deviation of 6 fps. I've since back off to 16.0 grains and can't tell any difference in performance. JPM

·
Registered
945 Posts
Phatkaw, Dove, quail and sporting clays. All of my dove and quail hunting is done with a 28 ga gun and this ammo. JPM

·
Premium Member
5,907 Posts
WTF? Alliant no longer shows 28 ga. data for Pro Reach? I have the printed 2015 Alliant data guide and there is plenty of 28 ga. Pro Reach data, albeit 1300 fps and above. 4 loads each in Rem, Win and Fed hulls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts