Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched here and Googled but cannot find any easy way to compare 28 gauge shotguns. I know that some manufacturers build on the same frame as their their 12 gauge and others on the same frame as their 20 gauge. I have heard that some actually build their 28 gauges on a frame specially built for the 28 gauge.
What I have yet to discover is which manufacturers offer specially built frames for the 28 gauge. I am only interested in over/under configurations.

If I belonged to a gun club that shot skeet, I bet this information would be available but our club only shoots trap, rifles, and handguns. Any help out there?

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
The so Called, “Baby Framed”, Beretta 28 gauge shotguns, have receivers scaled specifically for that gauge. Joel Etchen guns has quite a selection of these subgauge guns. They would be a great source of info IMHO.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Beretta, Fausti, and Perazzi make 28ga on properly scaled frames (686/7 baby frame, MX28). You also have the choice of one built on a 20 ga frame if you prefer the weight/swing dynamics of a heavier gun (MX8/20 or 686/7 20ga frame). Do not think Browning makes/made a 28ga frame (just 20 and 12).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Beretta make baby frame 28’s and 410’s.

I own the 687 Silver Pigeon grade five with the English stock.

Nice gun for shooting quail but way too slender for serious skeet.

Also discontinued in the grade five. Grade three still available. As someone else stated look at Joel Etchen Guns.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
Any help out there?
OK, Here's my take. If you want to shoot lots of targets? Get a 28 ga. on a 12 ga. frame. You want the extra weight when shooting targets. If you are lucky enough to already own a 12 ga. shotgun and can buy a carrier barrel with all 3 sub-gauges? All the better!!! It may be possible for you to just buy a 28 ga. barrel for your existing shotgun as well?
If you want to hunt with the 28 ga.? Then buy a smaller framed 28 ga. IMO a 28 ga. frame or a 20 ga. frame will matter very little. But if you shoot a lot of targets in a single day with this lighter framed shotgun? You'll likely find out it'll kick just as bad as a 12 ga. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
I agree with Pull & Mark. Field guns are made to be carried a lot and shot little. Target guns are meant to be shot a lot. What you plan to do with the gun would help determine what may be best suited for you. Good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good choice on thinking 28 gauge and I salute you for it !!! It’s a great all around gauge that’s mild on recoil and is effective. +1 on your use case & Beretta specific frame. As stated by several above, Beretta does make a scaled receiver and Etchens is a great place to shop. They are super friendly and have a lot of inventory to choose from most of the time. I also agree that if you plan to shoot with it competitively you may want to go with a heavier receiver gun with 28 barrels or maybe even Briley subgauge tube set. I found the 28 gauge specific gun to be too light and whippy but I’m used to swinging the heavier k80 with a set of Ultimate Ultralite tubes. That’s my favorite combination. Good luck with your pursuit, post back on what you end up going with.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree with Pull & Mark. Field guns are made to be carried a lot and shot little. Target guns are meant to be shot a lot. What you plan to do with the gun would help determine what may be best suited for you. Good shooting, Rey
I'm interested in a field gun.

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Chance, as field guns go, you can't go wrong with Beretta's scaled frame guns. I have a 28 gauge (on 20 frame) I used to shoot quite often in the field quail hunting. Weighs about 5.5lbs and easy to carry all day if needed and quick pointing. I wouldn't use it for shooting sporting clays though! As mentioned above, Joel Etchen is a great guy to deal with as well as Mike at Silver Dollar Guns. Good luck in your search and good shooting, Rey

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, I wanted a 28 gauge to just play with; I have serious shotguns but I have never had a 28 gauge. I used to shoot skeet with a couple old guys who swore by 28 gauges, saying it is the perfect gauge. I wanted an O/U but I did not want to pay the price of a good one and the cheap ones have so-so reps. Against my better judgment I ordered a Mossberg SA-28 semi-auto which is made in Turkey. I am not a fan of Turkey guns but I read that Weatherby used to import this shotgun under their banner. The reviews are positive on the gun. It only cost $500 new. When I got it, it was first wrapped in oil paper then inside a gun sleeve and then in a plastic gun case. It has straight Turkish walnut and standard bluing. There were no defects in the finish and the fit-up looks good. Mossberg advertises the barrel is chrome lined and it appears it is; I thought it was probably only the chamber but the entire bore is like a mirror so I guess it is totally chrome lined. It came with 5 chokes and a stock shim kit. I contacted Mossberg and found out the chokes are Huglu pattern and aftermarket chokes are available from a couple sources. The gun is a featherweight with a 14.5 LOP. The bad points are it only has a front bead and it appears to be some off thread or maybe pressed in; there is no middle bead. There are no shell catchers I could find to fit it. I plan on putting in a fiber optic front sight and a middle bead. It is definitely not a gun for any kind of serious shooting but for just a once in a while at skeet or bird hunting it is OK. It is a fast gun to mount because it is so slender and lightweight. It just satisfied my itch to own a 28 gauge but not planning on doing much with it and not wanting to spend much money.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I have the 28 ga Beretta 686 onx pro with 30" barrels great game gun to light and whippy for me as a target gun also have a Beretta 28 ga in the a 400 nice light weight gun for game, again to light for me as a taget gun. I shoot a Browning 30" four gauge set as my target gun in sporting clays, 12 ga frame and weight really like the gun.

Buster

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 28 Benelli ultralight. 4.9 lbs very nice to pack. Mine is a 26" barrel and a little too whippy for a lot of shooting.

I just got a TriStar Viper G2 which is a Turkish gun like the Mossberg and Weatherby and love it. It weighs 5.6 lbs and has a 28" barrel... swings better than Benelli for me.

I mostly got it so I wouldn't take a tumble in the rocks with the Benelli while chasing chukar.

The Viper has been flawless functioning and actually has a quite nice piece of walnut.

Both those SA s are on a 28 receiver thus their lighter weights

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a Browning XS 28ga with 30" barrels that I enjoy shooting skeet with. Also have 2 Browning XS feathers in 28ga with 30" barrels that I enjoy shooting. Don't believe you could go wrong with a Browning 28ga in any citori model. Would like to shoot an XS with 32" barrels but do not know if Browning made XS in 28ga or 410ga with the longer barrels. The feather models being a little light in weight have a little bit of a bump in them with the higher speed sporting clays shells.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ithaca makes a Model 37 in 28 ga. with the smaller frame, Remington make the 1100 Sporting in 28 ga. on a smaller frame.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts