Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Standard load for a 28g is 3/4oz. Whether it is no different than shooting 3/4oz out of a 12g, I do not have a clue. I normally shoot 7/8oz out of a BT99 choked light full (Briley). I do better with it with that load than when I shoot any of my 20g guns, choked full. While they may be the same weight shot, I was using different shotguns. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Standard load for a 28g is 3/4oz. Whether it is no different than shooting 3/4oz out of a 12g, I do not have a clue. I normally shoot 7/8oz out of a BT99 choked light full (Briley). I do better with it with that load than when I shoot any of my 20g guns, choked full. While they may be the same weight shot, I was using different shotguns. My 2 cents.
no 2 guns shoot the same load the same. each gun different.

·
Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
905 Posts
I will give you a little of my "lucky" experience of my entry into the 28 gauge event at the 2019 Grand American. I had purchased a 34" 28-gauge Briley companion insert for my K-80 unsingle, and used it to win that event; shooting a 45 /50 from the 22-yard line. Couldn't believe that I won the event, and didn't even know about the win for a day or so afterwards. Ran into a friend, and he congratulated me, and I was "thinking" maybe I had won the Sub-Vet category, but alas, it was for Champion over the field of shooters. Next closest score was a 42. I also shot in the 20-gauge event; a buddy and I purchased a set of companion tubes a month or so before the Grand, but that event was from your handicap yardage, and I had just finally made the 27-yard line after trying to get there for over 18 years. Shot a 38/50 from the 27 ! Of well, I have one good small gauge event.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)
Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

·
Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
905 Posts
I've got just the road trip for you. On July 4th at my club we are having the 1st Midwest Regional 28ga doubles event. We will start the day 20ga-25 singles/25 from 20yards,
28ga-25 singles/25 from 19's and 410-25 16's/25 from 18yds . Then 25pr of 28ga doubles.

We have ammo so don't let that effect your decision.

I've broken a few 25's from the sixteen with my 28.
pheasantmaster, I think I read you did really well at the 28 gauge event at the Grand, the last year or two. Might have won it yourself, IF my memory hasn't totally failed me; which it has ocassionally ! LOL

·
Registered
188 Posts
While have had severe repeat severe issues trying to adjust to my newer beretta combo, 28 guage scores using briley s 34 Icon sub-guage tube with an extra-full tube using WWAA super sporting 3/4oz #7-1/2s mirror same day/range events& practice scores shot with the 12 regardless of 12 guage load or choke constriction

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Local legend has it that a shooter showed up at the club on a Saturday when a ATA shoot was going on, he wasn't there to shoot the event but to sell a gun to another guy.
Gun was a Perazzi live pigeon gun with 28 gauge barrels on a 12 gauge receiver. Potential buyer was late so he shot the singles event with the 28 gauge.
He shot a 96-97 depending on who is telling the story. He was a AA singles shooter then anyway so it wasn't that much of a surprise. I was there but shot on another squad so I didn't actually watch him shoot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got just the road trip for you. On July 4th at my club we are having the 1st Midwest Regional 28ga doubles event. We will start the day 20ga-25 singles/25 from 20yards,
28ga-25 singles/25 from 19's and 410-25 16's/25 from 18yds . Then 25pr of 28ga doubles.

We have ammo so don't let that effect your decision.

I've broken a few 25's from the sixteen with my 28.
Would love to participate in that! Where are you located?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I bought my son a 28ga semi auto for dove hunting last year, and took it to the range before my trap league start time. I wanted to make sure it would cycle my reloads. Shot a pair of 20s from the 16. Then later that evening shot my league and shot a pair of 21s with my 12 ga!

A dozen years ago I watched a retired AMU skeet shooter break 25 from the 16 with a Win 42 with a Cutts on it. Popped them very quickly out of the house.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I have never shot subgauge in League, but we would have subgauge fun events sometimes. It was fun and humbling at the same time. 20 gauge was not that much different than 12, but .410 and 28 were pretty tough.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How much shot ;)) Two years ago I was shooting dove with a friend who was showing off his 28 ga. Beretta Giubileo while I was showing off my 50 year-old 12 ga. B25 Diana. He was using 1 oz. Winchester SuperX ammo. I was using 24 gm, 1150 fps international trainer loads........so, I was shooting a 28 ga. load in a 12 ga. gun and he was shooting a 12 ga. load in a 28 ga. gun...HA!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does anyone seriously shoot trap with a 28 gauge? How much of a difference in hit to miss ratios when compared to a 12 gauge? We saw it once at our trap club done by someone we didn't know. He broke 24 out of 25 and left. I understand there is another club about 40 miles away where guys do it regularly.

The whole concept certainly humbles me.
No-Never. Not if money 💰 is on the line. For fun maybe.

·
Registered
Citori CX 12 Gauge, Rem VersaMax 12 Gauge
32 Posts
Does anyone seriously shoot trap with a 28 gauge? How much of a difference in hit to miss ratios when compared to a 12 gauge? We saw it once at our trap club done by someone we didn't know. He broke 24 out of 25 and left. I understand there is another club about 40 miles away where guys do it regularly.

My son in law shoots trap and 5 stand with a .410 Citori. Don't laugh...he consistently shoots 22-25 but those who shoot 28GA on my trap field are best when they hit them early. There isn't much lead left in the air at the 42 yard line...we teach them to see it at 10 and kill the bird at the 16 yard line downrange.....if the shooter gets them early, even the .410 will crush a bird.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

I have shot 24-25 at 16 yd trap targets with 28 ga/30" barrel with good ammo and tight chokes. Remember that the 28ga standard load is just marginally lighter than 24gram bunker trap load.With a well balanced 28 ga a good shooter will not be too hanicapped compared to 24 gram load.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm primarily a sporting clay shooter but do shoot trap 2x/week for practice and frequently use my 28 ga tubes. I don't see any real differences in scores and if you look at 12 ga, 20 ga and 28 ga scores in big sporting clays tournaments there isn't any real differences in scores. If proficient people shot 28 ga in trap, I'm assuming that the data would be similar to what we see in the sporting world. FYI, I reload for all gauges, it's the only way I can afford to shoot.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts