Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone seriously shoot trap with a 28 gauge? How much of a difference in hit to miss ratios when compared to a 12 gauge? We saw it once at our trap club done by someone we didn't know. He broke 24 out of 25 and left. I understand there is another club about 40 miles away where guys do it regularly.

The whole concept certainly humbles me.

Reactions: tdy1958

·
Premium Member
7,588 Posts
Does anyone seriously shoot trap with a 28 gauge? How much of a difference in hit to miss ratios when compared to a 12 gauge? We saw it once at our trap club done by someone we didn't know. He broke 24 out of 25 and left. I understand there is another club about 40 miles away where guys do it regularly.

I've got just the road trip for you. On July 4th at my club we are having the 1st Midwest Regional 28ga doubles event. We will start the day 20ga-25 singles/25 from 20yards,
28ga-25 singles/25 from 19's and 410-25 16's/25 from 18yds . Then 25pr of 28ga doubles.

We have ammo so don't let that effect your decision.

I've broken a few 25's from the sixteen with my 28.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last year at a very large shoot, watched an older gentleman (I’m a Senior Veteran, so go up from there) shoot his tubed K gun from the 20 yard line. I spoke with him when he came off the D trap and he said he had a surgical repaired shoulder and the heavy gun with the 28 Ga kept him shooting. He said he was happy with his 90. So yes it’s done and no problem.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

I understand that people who shoot trap with a .410 or 28 ga. also enjoy hitting their thumb with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I've shot several rounds of 28-ga trap, just to make sure that I'm as accurate if I take the gun hunting for grouse or ptarmigan. I shot the same scores with the 28 that I have been with the 12. Always good to practice but I'd also love some sub-gauge events.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have never shot trap with a 28 gauge but from experience on the Sporting Clays course with trap type targets I am confident when I say my K20 Parcours with 32" 28 gauge barrels with .020/.024 fixed chokes and 3/4 ounce #8 shot will smoke targets from the 16 yard line and probably from the 20 yard line.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have never shot trap with a 28 gauge but from experience on the Sporting Clays course with trap type targets I am confident when I say my K20 Parcours with 32" 28 gauge barrels with .020/.024 fixed chokes and 3/4 ounce #8 shot will smoke targets from the 16 yard line and probably from the 20 yard line.
very tight chokes for a 28 ga. may very well smoke the ones you hit at 16yd. ever pattern them? Bet very tight.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
How do you afford the ammo?
You reload it!!! My MEC 9000G cranks them out much cheaper than 12ga. Less shot and powder.......

P.S. I shot an 18/25 off the 16 yard line with the 28 ga. barrels from a Citori 4 barrel set. Choked Sk/Sk!!! Truth in advertising - I had just put all new springs and firing pins in it, and wanted to try it with lighter loads. Only had a Trap Field to use at my club.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
You reload it!!! My MEC 9000G cranks them out much cheaper than 12ga. Less shot and powder.......

P.S. I shot an 18/25 off the 16 yard line with the 28 ga. barrels from a Citori 4 barrel set. Choked Sk/Sk!!! Truth in advertising - I had just put all new springs and firing pins in it, and wanted to try it with lighter loads. Only had a Trap Field to use at my club.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
you won't find much difference in all the different chokes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife and I did a month or so ago. Did alright, but since we had never shot trap before, folks there suggested full choke. In hindsight a mod or imroved mod might have been the better choke. What would be the suggested choke at the 16yd line? (30” Browning 725 and 28” Browning Citori if that matters.)

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My wife and I did a month or so ago. Did alright, but since we had never shot trap before, folks there suggested full choke. In hindsight a mod or imroved mod might have been the better choke. What would be the suggested choke at the 16yd line? (30” Browning 725 and 28” Browning Citori if that matters.)
go tightest if that matters at all. better overkill than underkill if is difference in patterns. probably all about the same patterns. All guns different. mine were almost the same. yours may be different. play with them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts