Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

28 gauge , 1 1/16 oz. for trap??

7K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  StansCustoms 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if you could shoot a 1 1/16 oz. load, 28 gauge in registered trap shoots?

I assume you "could" shoot any gauge at any trap event as long as it was 12 gauge or smaller...like skeet for instance.

But could you shoot any shot load up to whatever is maximum for 12 gauge...in a smaller gauge like 28 gauge, or 20 gauge ...or other ??

Now a days you can buy 1 1/16 oz., 28 gauge shells...

Stan...

#3 ·
10-4 Bill

My question is:

Is it legal in Registered Trap to shoot smaller gauges with bigger than standard shot weight for that gauge...(can you do it in registered trap shoots) ?

For instance:

Standard shot weight in a 28 gauge is 3/4 oz...but 1 1/16 oz loads can be bought....can I shoot registered Trap with that load and gauge...??

Thanks...Stan

#5 ·
G. GUNS AND AMMUNITION
A contestant cannot use:

1. A gun with a chamber larger than 12 gauge. Guns of smaller gauges
are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but no
competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that fact
for handicap and classification purposes. A contestant may not use
a gun capable of chambering more than one gauge of shells at
the same time. For example, chambering 12 gauge and 20 gauge
shells in the same gun at the same time is prohibited.

2. Loads that contain nickel or copper coated shot or tracer loads.
However, the use of lead, steel, bismuth, or other composite nontoxic
shot materials shall be allowed. Any gun club allowing shot
materials described in this Rule, other than lead, shall be required
to cover or shield all hard surfaces on trap fields which are known,
or reasonably believed, to cause pellet ricochet with material which
will prevent the shot pellets from rebounding and/or ricocheting.

3. Any load with a velocity greater than 1290 FPS (Feet Per Second)
with maximum shot charge of 1 1/8 ounces, or 1325 FPS with a
maximum shot charge of 1 ounce, or 1350 FPS with a maximum
shot charge of 7/8 ounces or less, as measured in any individual
shotshell. These velocities are maximum and no individual
shotshell shall exceed these limits for the designated shot charge.
In addition, no load containing more than 1 1/8 ounces or any shot
larger than Number 7 1/2 can be used. Shot charges are maximum
and no charge may exceed the charge amount by more than 3%.
Steel shot in Number 7 will be acceptable as long as velocity criteria
are the same as for lead shot shells.

#6 ·
Sorry but I have to ask what your "cocktail" for your 1-1/16 oz 28ga loads are. I shoot the somewhat standard 1300FPS 20/28 powder with 3/4oz out of my tubed gun for sporting clays and skeet. The boys at my club might pee a little if they see me loading 28ga shells in my gun and crush like a 12ga.

#10 ·
Ounce and a sixteenth in a 28 gauge is like trying to squeeze 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag.

Is there room for a wad or powder?!

Like Martin said, why?

#11 ·
I bet you would be at or over the 12,500 psi for 28 gauge. That, with an 1-1/8 payload, and a light gun....Ouch.

You're pattern at 40 yards, would probably be 15" in diameter, and a 20 foot shotstring. Like Tim said, thats a lot of lead through a little pipe.

Then again, the pellets could be so chrushed and deformed, you might not have any pattern.

Wayne

#13 ·
Morning gents...and thanks for the answer to my question. Much obliged. Live pidgeon shooters bet thousand on this load ...so I thought I would look into it for trap.

Glassballs...in answer to your question , I'm don't have the recipe for the "coctail" but here's a source. (...and pee they will, lol)

http://www.bandpusa.com/extra-rossa-28-ga-max/

For those that asked "why" ....shruggg? Why not?

I routinely shoot longer than some trap shots in the field with 28 gauge. In fact love to shoot a little trap for fun with my 28 gauge. It's capabilities are phenominal because of the shot string/balistics characteristics.

If the handicap caused by less shot (mental or physics) is overcome...it's recovery time and lack of recoil make it a contender at anything.

....and the "real" reason why? Because it's "Soooo Much Fun"...lol.

Best regards...Stan

#16 ·
I think the better question is: five posts from the original poster, and he still can't figure out how to read the RULE BOOK?

(Somehow, I suspect "pigeon shooters" who bet "thousand" on a longer shot column and more shot deformation, are losing a lot...or else they're shooting pigeons at the dump).

#17 ·
Buzz-Gun...I was enjoying this great forum over a cup of coffee and in a fantastic mood till now. Thanks!

I am the OP...and I wasn't intending to read a book to get the simple answer I sought...which was provided succintly by Redcobra and others.

Should I wish to spend more time researching this ...I likely have the ability read.

While I am also "not" a participant or an expert on pidgeon shooting...perhaps you should find out a little more about the topic...before "you" comment.

Hopefully we will be even on this condescending argumentive banter. Either way I likely will regret responding to it, and am finished with regard to it at this juncture.

Apologies to the forum...

Best regards...Stan Mayfield

#18 ·
No need to get thin-skinned, Stan. It's just that there's no need to rely on internet boards to ask these questions, when the ATA rulebook is right at the TOP of the ATA's website. It just seems that nobody wants to read it. They'd rather go ask a bunch internet goons like me and check it five times, waiting for someone to post the answer for them.

Hint: 80% of the people who respond won't have read the rulebook, either. (I just made that statistic up. See how reliable we are here?)

And regarding the pigeon shoot thing, I suspect your sources aren't any better than mine...but that didn't stop you from spreading the story. So I'm simply calling BS on it, that's all.

No need to take it personal.

#20 ·
Guys have been smoking live birds with the 3/4 and 7/8 oz load for years. Most guys would not give up the speed to get more shot when perfect scores are already being shot with the lighter shells. It seems like the perfect live bird shell but the bottom line is you kill with what winds up in the pattern and not with what you start out with.

I have seen lots of loads put togather by the factory out shot by lighter and better loads put out by the factory.

The nickel 3/4 oz and the 7/8 oz nickel plated 7 1/2 28ga load is wicked. I would have to pattern these shells before I would get very excited as the wad will have to be next to nothing as I load 1oz loads of lead shot in the 28ga and the wad has zero cushion. I am going to order 2 boxes of the 5.5's and two of the 6's to see how they stack up on the pattern board.

I will post results when I get them. Jeff

#21 ·
Stan, Iam not trying to imply what or how you should proceed with your desires, but understand that shot columnlength can have a tremendous effect on efficiency of a load. Iam not posting graphs or charts to the effect. Believe or don't. While I don't play with 28's much, its always been my understanding from an engineers view that 3/4 oz had the best efficiency in this guage. Everyone I know swears by 3/4 oz loads. As such and increasing by that much, I can't see the point. Can you explain?

#24 ·
Thanks mr. Standscustoms, I love trying new concoctions. And mr. Sprinklerman, I'm not a cheater but it does sound weird for me to ask for the receipt. for registered targets I shoot factory shells and yep they are the 3/4ouncers. For some reason I have shot way more 25s on the skeet field than my 20ga has anyone else noticed the same.

#26 ·
Glass balls - Nope. I shoot better with the 28 because I shoot it more.

I think if you had a shooter of known skill with a tubed gun go back to back against himself with the 28 v. 20 on the skeet field the scores would most likely reflect no preference for gauge.

The farthest target you'll see on the skeet field will be 35-37 yards. Well within the operating envelope of the 28 and not far enough out to give the 20 a mathematical advantage all other things being equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.