Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to buy a short brl 28 ga semi auto, Rem, Franchi, Akkar, Weatherby etc.
Starter gun for my daughter, so really want to keep it 24/25" brls.
Also either skeet choke or screw ins. No Mod, Full fixed chocks.

Not too concerned about looks, functionality is more important.

Txt or Call Chris, 757 394 6410 - txt is best as I cant get calls in the office.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Unless you are planning to reload, may be a 20 gauge in a youth configuration may be more practical? There are 3/4 oz factory shells available in 20 gauge and are half of factory 28 gauge shells cost. FWIW. JM

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought a Weatherby last year. Hunted dove with it without a hitch. A smooth working, quick, good looking shotgun. The only thing seperating it from the beretta is the price. The Weatherby is just a touch over half the price of the beretta. I have no problem recommending it. However, for heavy shooting over the long haul, the beretta reputation can't be beat. That's my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Be aware of a recall of a certain Weatherby 28 ga. gas auto that is noted on "28 ga. society" web., many unsatisfied owners because of how factory has been handling recall issue. Problem appears to be "slam fires".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless you are planning to reload, may be a 20 gauge in a youth configuration may be more practical? There are 3/4 oz factory shells available in 20 gauge and are half of factory 28 gauge shells cost. FWIW. JM
I reload, and practice mostly with 410 and 28, Ive got a 20 Beretta youth already, and a 26 in Over Under tube gun for her when she grows into it, just need to step up from the 410 pump to a 28 for a while.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a Weatherby last year. Hunted dove with it without a hitch. A smooth working, quick, good looking shotgun. The only thing seperating it from the beretta is the price. The Weatherby is just a touch over half the price of the beretta. I have no problem recommending it. However, for heavy shooting over the long haul, the beretta reputation can't be beat. That's my opinion. Good luck.
Im looking at those, if I can beat the new price of a Weatherby with a used 1100, Ill go that route, but the Weatherby is on my next line.
We use the SA-80s at the Gun Club to teach women to shoot skeet, 20 ga. Never clean them, just abuse them, and so far we have never had one fail. Great guns for the price, and so far we have shot the crap out of them with not problems. Wouldnt use it for registered skeet, but for teaching its perfect.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I have a Tristar Viper semi auto in 28 gauge with a 30 inch barrel and it is a lot of fun to shoot trap with. I understand they make a youth version for about $500.00. JM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts