Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently started buying the Rio and Federal 28 ga shells at a local outlet and WallyWorld. The Federal new packaging Top Gun 28 ga are about $7 a box at WallyWorld and the local independent has Rio 28 ga at about $8 a box. The Win HS hulls I have are just too much of a pain to reload-poor; inconsistent crimps and cocked wads. Rem hulls work great but I cannot get them inexpensively and locally.

Anyway, I now have enough hulls to consider reloading on my PW 800C. Do any of you all have experience with these hulls? I would like to use Universal (bought 10 # at that local independent for a really good price) and have WAA 28 wads (I know, for tapered hulls) that would be great to use...

I tried the usual manuals (MEC, RCBS, Lyman 4th and 5th, BP 10th big book, Hodgdon /Win book, Hodgdon on line, and Alliant book, and have found no loads for the Rio hulls (but some for Cheddite), and the loads for the Federal hulls are for a paper base wad. The Rio and Federal hulls appear to be very similar with a one piece white plastic base wad (...are they Cheddite perhaps? I have not compared them to the Herters/Cabela's hulls yet, which I expect to be Cheddite.) Am now at a standstill until I get more information.

Any thoughts or direction would be most appreciated...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have tried them all and now only load the AA hs. I use universal and the WAA28 wads. Maybe with a few adjustments on your loader you may get better results with the AA's. There is a reason that AA once fire hulls go for a premium if you can find them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would do whatever it takes to get your machine working with AA hulls, or go to Ballistic Products, and get what you need supply wise.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The standard AA28 wads will not work well i load a lot of federal 28s and use the claybuster 28hs wads with ether Universal or Unique powders.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
I love the Federal Top Gun 28ga hulls !
You are gonna need to buy different wads for them, the tapered wads will probably suck. I didn't try it but was told to save my time...

The Rio and Federal hulls appear to be very similar with a one piece white plastic base wad (...are they Cheddite perhaps? I have not compared them to the Herters/Cabela's hulls yet, which I expect to be Cheddite.) Am now at a standstill until I get more information.
For the Federal hull I drop 13gr of Universal Clays or 20/28 and use the AAHS wad and Federal 209A primers for 3/4oz loads. It is a great load !

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the Federal hull I drop 13gr of Universal Clays or 20/28 and use the AAHS wad and Federal 209A primers for 3/4oz loads. It is a great load !
Is this load for a Federal 28 ga white plastic base wad or a fiber base wad? The manuals call for a fiber base wad but the new Federal packaging 28 ga is a white plastic base wad???

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have loaded 1000s of 28 gauge hs HULLS on a p.w 800 plus ,never had an issue once set up . I load win 209 primer claybuster hs wads and 20/28 powder.
Stack height is perfect and factory looking crimps unless the HULLS are beat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for the prompt reply...looks like I am still at an impasse with the Fed 28 ga hulls with a white plastic base wad...I will compare them to Cheddite Herters/Cabelas as soon as I empty some of those...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opps---
Just pulled some hulls from the stash and found out that the Federal 28 ga WallyWorld Top Gun hulls DO have a fiber base wad. I recently shot some Federal Field Load 28 ga that are older and they are the ones with the white plastic base wad...see attached photo... So, all is right with the world and I can follow the published data for the 28 ga Federal paper base wad hulls.

Still would like some advice on possibly reloading the Rio 28 ga hulls...they look to be good quality and I hope that I can reload them at least once when I get the correct reloading data. Thanx to all for the advice so far...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I load Eurotrash hulls with 800X on a single stage press. BPI imports a good wad for it. SG28. If you are using a progressive press, a bulky powder like Unique, Herco, or Universal will give good results.

Alliant has a load for the Fed hull.
28 Gauge
  • 2 3/4-in. Federal Plastic Target Shells
  • 3/4 shot wt.
  • Fed 209A
  • CB 5034-HS
Dram Equiv.
Shot Wt. 3/4
(ounces)
Velocity 1200
(fps)
Primer Fed 209A