Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there load some of the 13/16 oz. 28 Ga. loads. Back when I loaded a lot of 28 Ga. these weren't listed . Of course back then people mostly just loaded the 28 Ga. for skeet and since 3/4 oz. is the max allowable for NSSA Skeet ,we really didn't see a need for them then. Now I see several loads listed. I know pressures are near maximum with these loads. I would guess they are used mostly for hunting although I see a small number of people shooting the 28 Ga. in 5 stand. Has anybody loaded any of these?

·
Registered
14,130 Posts
You can load up to 1oz in the 28ga w/ the right powder/wad combination.

Dunno if anyone has recipes for it, but Winchester has factory loads, so it's possible.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The Hodgdon Reload Data website lists loads: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun
Winchester HS, Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls and Longshot powder. I tend to use the PT-28 wad and Fiocchi primers since I already have them on hand. The old Hodgdon Annual Manual (2004, 2006) lists even more loads. The website even has some 7/8 oz loads.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For small bore pot shooting I used to use AA HS 28ga hulls, BPI Lime green Magnum wads (check out their web page), 25 grs of Lil Gun, and 15/16 or 1 oz lead (#7, or 6, or 5). They work pretty good, but kick like a 12 ga. Lorrie

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For small bore pot shooting I used to use AA HS 28ga hulls, BPI Lime green Magnum wads (check out their web page), 25 grs of Lil Gun, and 15/16 or 1 oz lead (#7, or 6, or 5). They work pretty good, but kick like a 12 ga. Lorrie
Lorrie, Where can I find the data for Lil Gun loading ? I couldn't find it on the Powder Data site.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use the Hodgdon basic reloading manual, and it's on page 49. The last two 28ga loads are for Lil Gun showing 7/8 oz and 25 grs. Lorrie

Reactions: slide action

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lorrie and Bob_K Thanks, I only had the older version of the Hodgdon manual (around 2002). I hope to pick up a new one at the vendor's booth at the Grand. I am going to try shooting the 28 Ga. after a few years. I got away from it, when I quit registered skeet, about 20 years ago but, I still have my 4 Barrel set and plan on shooting it a little bit with the 28s on it in the near future.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I love shooting my 28ga for doubles, sporting clays/5-stand, and small bore pot shoots! Good luck with the load.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts