Trapshooters Forum banner

25 lbs of 7.5 shot

10245 Views 57 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Sigguy552
Hi I had to pay $51.00 for a 25 lb bag of shot today. That is most I have ever paid. Is the end of reloading coming? Or is the end of trap shooting just getting to expensive for the average shooter on a retirement budget?
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Hi I had to pay $51.00 for a 25 lb bag of shot today. That is most I have ever paid. Is the end of reloading coming? Or is the end of trap shooting just getting to expensive for the average shooter on a retirement budget?
Well, you could have bought the same on Amazon for $129 or 2 bags for $299.

· Registered
136 Posts
Maybe I'm way off base here but here is the basic math keep things in perspective. To make it easy lets say you are loading one ounce loads like I am. If not you can work the math to your liking/load-

A 25 lb bag of shot yields 400 one ounce shells. 25 lb bag x 16 oz per pound- 16 x 25 = 400 shells per bag of shot

So every $10 increase in a bag of shot equates to $.625 cents per box cost increase.
(That is sixty three cents per box even if you round up)
$10 increase/400 shells per bag of shot= .025 per shell increase
.025 x 25 shells per box = .625 cents per box increase

Using a $41 bag of shot cost you $.1025 per shell or $2.56 per box
Using a $51 bag of shot cost you $.1275 per shell or $3.18 per box
Using a $61 bag of shot cost you $.1525 per shell or $3.81 per box (or $1.25 per box more than the $41 bag)

This is only considering the cost of lead, no primer, no powder, no wad. I don't like the prices either but when you break it our on the per box basis it really equates to peanuts. Look at the price increases of other goods like groceries and gasoline or the inability to consistently find factory loads to purchase.

· Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Too many of us remember $10 for 25 lbs. of shot, $3.00 trap shells, and 25 cent per gallon for gas. Never thought I would pay $40 for shot but have be doing it and will likely pay more than I use to pay for primers. Many of us have more money than we do time left to shoot.....trying to adjust my perspective of priorities.

· Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Too many of us remember $10 for 25 lbs. of shot, $3.00 trap shells, and 25 cent per gallon for gas. Never thought I would pay $40 for shot but have be doing it and will likely pay more than I use to pay for primers. Many of us have more money than we do time left to shoot.....trying to adjust my perspective of priorities.
red -- your right us old guys are running out of time. We worked hard for our money but to be screwed by a darn system that just gives people money for not working is way beyond my comprehension. Just keep printing money and inflation will keep rising.
A 25lb bag will be $100.00. Then what?

· Registered
551 Posts
Seems like it was ~$10 a bag ($9.99) for a very long time. Then worked up to $12 a bag. When it hit $14.99 a LOT of people I know said if it ever hit $20 a bag that was it, they were done shooting. They were still shooting when it hit $40.

I bought a bunch of it at $40 then it dropped down to $30 for a short period of time. But I kept telling myself that $40 a bag broke targets "more better" than the $30 bags ;) Couple of months ago paid $45 a bag with tax out the door it was closer to $49 a bag. And thankful to get 10 bags of it.

red -- your right us old guys are running out of time.
Hey watch it! Who you calling old?!?! Erhh never mind LOL.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
don't worry about the price of the shot, if biden gets his way and gas is 5.00 by June 15th you won't be doing any shooting anyway, contrary to popular belief all our goods come in by truck and most of it by small trucking co. the trucks will stop rolling just as they did when osama Obama was in there as for me the sooner the better then I do believe these
so called citizens will stand up and say enough is enough he sure is making jimmy carter look good

Mac

· Registered
2,397 Posts
When obozo was pres it was running around that $50 mark. Most of us survived. It will price a few people out of shooting with the lack of affordable ammo available at the stores. I do hope we are not spiraling into the abyss of gun clubs closing due to lack of shooters.

· Registered
407 Posts
This will pass.
Equilibrium will happen.
I am going to keep shooting and making the best of every day I am able to practice and every shoot I enter.
I have no idea when the shortage will end and have no control over it either, but I know that I cannot buy more time on earth. I can't take my shells with me when I die. I am going to shoot as much and as often as I always have. I choose to stay positive.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.