Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting my pistol permit. I am looking to buy a revolver for home and body protection. I am getting older now and live buy myself and now I am becoming a potential future victim.

The question I have is this would a .22magnum be enough gun for protection. I have shot this caliber in a rifle once and it seemed to be a hot load. My other concideration would be the standard .38.

·
Super Moderator
5,101 Posts
I am in the process of getting my pistol permit. I am looking to buy a revolver for home and body protection. I am getting older now and live buy myself and now I am becoming a potential future victim.

The question I have is this would a .22magnum be enough gun for protection. I have shot this caliber in a rifle once and it seemed to be a hot load. My other concideration would be the standard .38.
The fact that you are asking means that you don't think it is good enough. That should tell you something right there.

A revolver isn't a rifle. The velocity of almost every cartridge will be much greater out of a rifle than out of just about any handgun.

Of the two you mention, you'd be better off with the .38.

·
Registered
428 Posts
get what you like and carry all the time. Whatever you have on you is better than leaving your gun at home. be comfortable with your carry gun and don't leave home without it.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Which would you rather be shot with? Buy the other one. Police used to use a .38 as a duty weapon. I have never heard of a department issuing .22 magnums as duty weapons. Must be a reason?

Mike

·
Administrator
8,516 Posts
I like the .22 mag in a rifle/lever gun ect. Ultimately you want to practice with what you plan on keeping with you for self defense ect.
For me if I had to decide between .22 mag and .38 spcl. for a carry gun I would choose the .38.
There are a lot more choices in modern ammunition and revolver selection. So many come to mind but the Rugar LCR's and Smith and Wesson Air Weights along with Rugar 101s come to mind.
Also method of carry/concealment ect. there is a lot more gun leather ect. options for the .38 specials out there.

·
Banned
1,775 Posts
Forget the .22 WMR. A proper .38Spl. DA revolver will serve you well if you take the time to become proficient and retain your shooting ability by regular range time sessions.

·
Premium Member
8,157 Posts
You under 85? reasonable good health? You got a permit, 1911 full size, loaded with gold dots, extra mag. When you care enough to send the very best. and practice. So you will be the one walking away. Ain't no 12, but we some times have to make concessions.
Aloha

·
Registered
30,402 Posts
Any firearm can kill or maim. The choice of what to carry is a personal choice with a comfort level the person carrying it can use it effectively when the occasion arises. When that occasion does arise, will you be 2 feet from your attacker or 20 feet away? In the case of the shorter distance, a smaller caliber rammed into the head or the chest of an attacker and fired will be effective providing the attacker does not take the gun away from you in a struggle. At the longer distance a larger caliber firearm would be a better choice but if the assistant also has a gun, then the additional need for concealment and cover would be needed.

It is a personal choice only you can make. Get some training for all kinds of eventualities. Maybe carry two or more weapons.

·
Registered
9,808 Posts
WHATEVER you decide to go with, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Did I mention PRACTICE?

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Shoot the 22, here is a long winded reason why!

Growing up I got to listen to police officers talk about shootings that they witnessed or investigated.

None of them thought much of the 38 special revolvers. Both police shootings and civilian shootings almost always ended with the perp hit with every round from the revolver, continuing with what he had set out to do and leaving.

+P ammo can destroy most 38 revolvers while still not have enough velocity/energy to be effective.

When police departments started issuing 357 revolvers and using 125 grain +P+ ammunition, they started to stop perps at the seen of the crime. A steady diet of this ammo destroys even the best revolver in a fairly short time, and it is brutal on the hand holding the gun.

Going back to the cops of my youth, a question they almost all where asked

"What is the scariest caliber to you if you are going to be shot at?"

Almost to a man the answer was two calibers

"The 22 long rifle and a 45!"

The 45 because a decent hit had put the guy being hit out of action.

The 22 because they had all seen more one shot stops with it then that 38 they where forced to carry, those shootings even when the person shot walked away where pretty close to a 100 percent fatality rate.

There used to be the MARSHALL report where every reported shooting was analyzed, categorized and graded. The catagory was by caliber of firearm, the grades where for first did the shooting stop an event, did it save a would be victim from harm, and how fatal was it.

Until the advent of the for mentioned 125 grain 357 the 230 grain 45 ACP was the undisputed king. More one shot stops then any other round. After the 125 357 it is nib and tuck whether the 357 or the 45 will be the number one defensive round reported!

The thing that all the cops got a kick out of and many pages of the MARSHALL report where circulated with the the information highlighted was how well the 22 long rifle caliber scored against any caliber that was not 45 or super/stupid hot 357magnum!

The information I grew hearing from police officers that figure that this stuff is a valuable tool for them. Is that the 22 is far more reliable and deadly then most of the calibers available.

Blast me if you want. BUT use good solid research doing it!

Not just the 38 is ............. Opinions!

Use the 22 shoot it often.

Even if a person is planning to carry a bigger caliber that the old advice about pulling the trigger until the attacker stops holds true!

Another piece of wisdom that has held true(I believe the the MARSHALL report will bare this out!) Aim for the nuts! There are many reasons for this but the the two most important ones are their are more nerve bundles with in inches of the nuts! And maybe most important of all, even experienced pistol shooters under duress will shoot high! The figure my dad and the other cops used is two feet high is about the normal for a highly trained police officer in his first shoot out! This 2 foot figure was arrived at by cops debriefing cops! Trying to shoot for the nuts and being twofeet high is still a good solid hit¡ trying for the chest/heart and being twofeet high is a miss!

So as I stated use the 22!

I got this from men that put there life's on the line! Many of them! Most of them had 22's in there off duty or Back up gun selections!

·
Registered
331 Posts
.22 mag is a hell of a little caliber, I've had two Winchester 9422's ( wore out the first one ) and one Ruger single six. I've been shooting the magnums since 1983. Don't underestimate them they're not just a bunny gun, they're way more than most people think, having used one a lot all I can say is I wouldn't want to be shot with one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The .38 Spl has better stopping power, but two well placed .22 Mag shots will beat two poorly placed .38 shots.

I sure would not want to get shot by a .22 Mag.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
On paper the 38 has good stopping power.

But the 38 is why WHY the army did the study on stopping power! That got us the 45acp!

IT is also WHY the FBI did a more recent study that led to the 40 S&W!

So please take enough interest in this to look at some history! The Good COPS that studied everything that had an effect on how they did their job could and can quote these chapter and verse¡ if they have seen one shooting gone wrong because of the 38s proven! Lack of stopping ability! They will really did on it! And I do not know one cop out of the hundreds I know and have known by name that think the 38 is capable of saving a life!!!

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
The .22 Mag in a handgun has an impressive muzzle blast, both from the noise and the flash standpoint. The .22 Magnum round in the 40 grain hollow point COULD be devastating at close range. I've seen it make starlings literally explode at normal potshotting ranges. Using it for "larger game", however, is likely going to require multiple rounds. You're already limited to 6, plus reloading is not practical. If you go the revolver route I would go with a .357 Magnum. It will shoot any .38 Special round you can find for it. You can practice with the .38s and fill it with .357s before you put it in your nightstand or go out to shop. Good Luck.

Another thing that is happening lately, is the situation may involve multiple attackers. Delightful.:eek: Case in point:

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The soldier's and Agents that where severely injured or killed where or had more training then the average Joe in staying a live in a really bad situation.

That is why we two larger calibers, that is why my mentors and myself did not and do not like the 38 at all!!!!!!¡!!!!

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
Over labor day we had a bunch of our box dwelling friends out to the farm and as usual the first thing they want to do is start shooting, so shoot they did, and were rather pathetic about it, had 9's, .380, .40, but the target was quite a way away from them, they might have gotten 50%, so I got my Buckmark and at rapid fire nailed the target 10 times very close to the bulls eye. Which would be better 10 .22 holes to the head or 5 holes everywhere else?

But I then got out my 1911 and put 7 real close to the bulls eye, so the 1911 would be my choice and the Buckmark second actually if I could use it an 870 would be my first choice

·
Banned
242 Posts
Over labor day we had a bunch of our box dwelling friends out to the farm and as usual the first thing they want to do is start shooting, so shoot they did, and were rather pathetic about it, had 9's, .380, .40, but the target was quite a way away from them, they might have gotten 50%, so I got my Buckmark and at rapid fire nailed the target 10 times very close to the bulls eye. Which would be better 10 .22 holes to the head or 5 holes everywhere else?

But I then got out my 1911 and put 7 real close to the bulls eye, so the 1911 would be my choice and the Buckmark second actually if I could use it an 870 would be my first choice
If you are going to (and should) practice a LOT--Kel-Tec makes a .22 Mag. Semi-Auto that holds 30 rounds in the magazine--Very lightweight, less than 2#. It wouldn't break the bank to shoot it a lot.----JMHO !!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
If you are going to (and should) practice a LOT--Kel-Tec makes a .22 Mag. Semi-Auto that holds 30 rounds in the magazine--Very lightweight, less than 2#. It wouldn't break the bank to shoot it a lot.----JMHO !!
I have one of those, it is the PMR30. Bad ass gun, you can shoot till your hand gets tired, then take a break and shoot some more! And, fully loaded it doesn't weigh $hit.

If all you have , or like, is a .22 mag, CARRY IT!

Ask any professional deer poacher what his weapon of choice is, he will tell you a .22LR.

As Cat said, well placed shots in the boiler room with a .22mag will do the job just fine.

Many people ask me, " what is the best gun for home defense"?

Answer......... whichever one you have in your hand when you need it!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts