Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://bearingarms.com/purpose-built-for-social-work-the-armscorrock-island-armory-m5-12-gauge-fighting-shotgun/?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Looks an awful lot like a copy of the Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
One of the comments on the web page:

"I had a Rock Island Armory M5 12 Gauge and it was garbage. You get what you pay for really. I bought it brand new and had trouble with it from the first time I took it out. About every 4th or 5th shot it wouldn't fire. I would have to rack out the shell because it thought it fired but it wasn't. I took it to a gunsmith after a friend of mine couldn't figure out the problem with it and the gunsmith was as clueless to the cause as I was. When testing it they had the same firing errors I did. His advice was to get a new gun and avoid Rock Island products in the future, which I have. I wouldn't take a new Rock Island 12 Gauge for free at this point. A lot a good a gun does for home defense if you aren't sure if it will actually fire or not when you pull the trigger."

HM

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
If you want a cheap reliable shotgun for home defense find an old Sears JC Higgins Model 20 and hacksaw the Dial-A-Duck choke/porting off the barrel. That was my first defense shotgun and it was built like a tank. High Standard actually made them.

Or for new just get a Mossberg 500 or 590, followed by an 870. My pure defense shotgun is a 590, and has been for the last three decades. It's been used hard and has never had a failure. Totally reliable.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
My HD gun is a mossberg 500 w/ a slug barrel on it. Empty dry-fired chamber, 5 rounds of 00 buck in the mag (rack it and I'm ready to go), 3 more 00 buck and 3 slugs in a side-saddle. I think I'm set :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts