Trapshooters Forum banner

20ga light/super lite loads.

1719 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  flashmax
I was asked today by a family friend if l can build his 7yr old some light 20ga loads. So l said should not be a problem. So here is my delima, l have Remington hulls, Win 209 primers, Remington RXP and AA wads, Clay's, International, and Universal powder, 700x. Charge bars from 3/4oz to 1oz. Can ya help a brother out?!?! He is shooting it in a Mossberg youth model with the multi piece stock.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Look on the Hodgdon site. You can run International with 3/4 ounce load at 1150 FPS. I have not personally loaded that light but I would think it should fit and crimp well. It calls for a WAA20 wad. That's the tallest wad for 20GA. If it doesn't work then you will need to lighten up some 7/8 ounce loads using Universal.

Good luck.

· Registered
911 Posts
At the age of the kid, Dad should be working on upper body strength with the kid. Its going to take him a while to be able to "handle" the weight of a shotgun, short stock or not. Then using the Clay Buster 3/4oz wad, build a light load, try shaving a half grain or whole grain of powder off recommended loads to check recoil and stack height of the load.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Winchester makes a low recoil / low noise AA load .... 980fps, min dram .91 oz (12)

Make them in 12 & 20 gauge
I want to reload them, not buy them. That's why l listed my list of loading components.

Reactions: charleyj10

· Registered
858 Posts
The Claybuster 0175-20 wads are especially molded to contain 3/4 ounce (nominal) loads. The data supplied by Claybuster does not include all possible powders. If you don't have a powder that they list, you could consider using 7/8 ounce data as is, or with a small reduction in powder charge. -Ed

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If nothing else, I can use Styrofoam wafers or cherrios in the bottom of the 7/8ths wad and achieve what l need for he won't be shooting much/many. Just enough to get used to it.

Reactions: ezz555

· Registered
1,167 Posts
The Honey Nut Cherrio's work the best. They have a fine layer of sugar coating that keeps the Cherrio from breaking down while crimping.
Original are okay. The multi-grain are the worst. They crumbling into little bits.

Report back on what the young shooter thought about your shells and shooting.

Go out and shoot something, Have a great weekend.

· Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use Grapenuts. They are light but damn hard so if they travel too far they might even break a target.
Thats for damned sure!!! They HAD to have been developed by a Dentist for they are guaranteed job security for them!!!!

Reactions: flashmax
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.