Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post about a big upcoming event down under.

To be held in Echuca, a regional town of around 15 000 in northern Victoria, on the banks of the Murray River. It's an 8ish hour drive for me. Beautiful town, very green and lush. Lovely trap club- 3 bunker layouts and maybe 7 or 8 trap fields. Great restaurants and pubs in the town. The club is maybe 15 minutes from the motel we stay at.

All events except handicap are to be shot from 18 metres (about 19 yards 2 feet). All events except handicap are 6 per squad, one call per lane. Handicap is 5 per squad, 5 per lane. Shooters must move to the back marker's meterage after we have shot, unless you are the back marker of course.

Day 1 25 pair double rise (doubles). 50 target handicap.

Day 2 50 single barrel. 50 double barrel. (Score 1 per broken target in DB and handicap regardless of first or second barrel).

Day 3 50 point score. 75 Champion of Champions.

Point score is 3 for a first barrel, 2 for a second, 0 for a loss. CoC is a combination event of 25 double barrel, 25 single barrel, 25 point score, for a possible total of 125.

We are limited to 28g loads except for handicap-then 32 is allowed. No velocity limit in any event. 7 1/2 or smaller unless the range is approved for larger, then #6 may be used but only in handicap. If not approved for #6 then it's 7 1/2 maximum for handicap as well. Most Australians will shoot a 1200-1250 in each barrel except for HC. Then they sometimes get silly and shoot up to 32 gram at 1350.

I use an 8 bottom barrel 1200-1250 with a 7 1/2 top same speed except for handicap. Then I use 7 1/2 each barrel, 1250 bottom 1300 top. All 28g. I'm only off 22 metres (24 yards).

Most trap shooters will use 30" or 32" low rib guns, typically choked 3/4 (IM) and full. Some people will mess with a 1/2 (M) first barrel, but not many would trust that choke at 18 metres. I won't. A few mid rib guns such as the Beretta X trap series or Perazzi step ribs. Beretta will be the brand of choice for many shooters, with Perazzi, Browning, Miroku, CG and Zoli making up the rest of the field. A few Krieghoffs. Very few Kolars. Lisa and I will be shooting the infamous Yildiz Pro Trap.I think there will be a few other Y guns on the line.

Can't wait. It starts on 11 June, official practise available on 10 June.

:)

· Registered
318 Posts
Thought I'd post about a big upcoming event down under.

To be held in Echuca, a regional town of around 15 000 in northern Victoria, on the banks of the Murray River. It's an 8ish hour drive for me. Beautiful town, very green and lush. Lovely trap club- 3 bunker layouts and maybe 7 or 8 trap fields. Great restaurants and pubs in the town. The club is maybe 15 minutes from the motel we stay at.

All events except handicap are to be shot from 18 metres (about 19 yards 2 feet). All events except handicap are 6 per squad, one call per lane. Handicap is 5 per squad, 5 per lane. Shooters must move to the back marker's meterage after we have shot, unless you are the back marker of course.

Day 1 25 pair double rise (doubles). 50 target handicap.

Day 2 50 single barrel. 50 double barrel. (Score 1 per broken target in DB and handicap regardless of first or second barrel).

Day 3 50 point score. 75 Champion of Champions.

Point score is 3 for a first barrel, 2 for a second, 0 for a loss. CoC is a combination event of 25 double barrel, 25 single barrel, 25 point score, for a possible total of 125.

We are limited to 28g loads except for handicap-then 32 is allowed. No velocity limit in any event. 7 1/2 or smaller unless the range is approved for larger, then #6 may be used but only in handicap. If not approved for #6 then it's 7 1/2 maximum for handicap as well. Most Australians will shoot a 1200-1250 in each barrel except for HC. Then they sometimes get silly and shoot up to 32 gram at 1350.

I use an 8 bottom barrel 1200-1250 with a 7 1/2 top same speed except for handicap. Then I use 7 1/2 each barrel, 1250 bottom 1300 top. All 28g. I'm only off 22 metres (24 yards).

Most trap shooters will use 30" or 32" low rib guns, typically choked 3/4 (IM) and full. Some people will mess with a 1/2 (M) first barrel, but not many would trust that choke at 18 metres. I won't. A few mid rib guns such as the Beretta X trap series or Perazzi step ribs. Beretta will be the brand of choice for many shooters, with Perazzi, Browning, Miroku, CG and Zoli making up the rest of the field. A few Krieghoffs. Very few Kolars. Lisa and I will be shooting the infamous Yildiz Pro Trap.I think there will be a few other Y guns on the line.

Can't wait. It starts on 11 June, official practise available on 10 June.

:)

when you have a free moment could you go into further depth regarding how the handicap event is shot specifically the comment about all shooters moving to the back markers meter age.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when you have a free moment could you go into further depth regarding how the handicap event is shot specifically the comment about all shooters moving to the back markers meter age.
Of course.

Our handicap rules require that any shooter must move, after shooting, to the same mark on their lane as the shooter with the highest handicap in the squad-the so-called "back marker".

So a squad with a 19, a 20, 2 21 and a 23 metre shooter will see the 19m shooter shoot, open their gun and walk back to 23. 20 will do the same. So will the 21s. After 23 has shot, they walk forward and repeat.

In 2018 the national handicap title was won by a 15m shooter. She ended up in a shootoff against two 25m shooters (I think one was Russell Mark). She had to shoot, walk back 10 metres, wait, walk forward 10 metres, reset and shoot, every shot.

Some shooters refuse to walk back, but the rules clearly state that no shooter may even close their gun, let alone call, until everyone is behind them. I've required shooters to do it, and one smart a$$ once challenged me.

I quoted the rule number to him, and he dropped his head and moved. I happened to have actually READ the rules....

· Registered
318 Posts
Of course.

Our handicap rules require that any shooter must move, after shooting, to the same mark on their lane as the shooter with the highest handicap in the squad-the so-called "back marker".

So a squad with a 19, a 20, 2 21 and a 23 metre shooter will see the 19m shooter shoot, open their gun and walk back to 23. 20 will do the same. So will the 21s. After 23 has shot, they walk forward and repeat.

In 2018 the national handicap title was won by a 15m shooter. She ended up in a shootoff against two 25m shooters (I think one was Russell Mark). She had to shoot, walk back 10 metres, wait, walk forward 10 metres, reset and shoot, every shot.

Some shooters refuse to walk back, but the rules clearly state that no shooter may even close their gun, let alone call, until everyone is behind them. I've required shooters to do it, and one smart a$$ once challenged me.

I quoted the rule number to him, and he dropped his head and moved. I happened to have actually READ the rules....

thanks for the details- after 30 plus years of ATA trap & our American meat shoots from long yardages my interest has grown to cover how “trap” is shoot over seas.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Clearly, shotgun people have bigger parties, thus the name carnival.
From what I have seen, bigger stomachs and rear ends, maybe.....

But in all seriousness, the Pistol Australia nationals are lucky to have 220 competitors, many of whom are only there for part of the event. IPSC nationals maybe 300.

2018 trap nationals had 700 and a waiting list. Trap (down the line) is by far the biggest shotgun discipline down under. in terms of participant numbers and layout availability.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the latest news is....I don't think we'll be going.

The host state is in the middle of a lockdown that MAY end on 4 June. But it may not. And even if it does, the odds are good that we will have to isolate for 14 days upon returning from that State and have COVID tests on days 1 5 and 13.

Sooooo....it looks like we ain't going. Lucky I booked accommodation that I can cancel with no penalty.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the latest news, it is on again, from 30 July-1 August. Same program

The grounds have 13 trap layouts. I would imagine they'll probably use a couple for practice and have one ready to go as a replacement in case a trap breaks. So I'm guessing they'll use 8 or 10 layouts, but that will depend on numbers.

· Registered
8 Posts
From what I have seen, bigger stomachs and rear ends, maybe.....

But in all seriousness, the Pistol Australia nationals are lucky to have 220 competitors, many of whom are only there for part of the event. IPSC nationals maybe 300.

2018 trap nationals had 700 and a waiting list. Trap (down the line) is by far the biggest shotgun discipline down under. in terms of participant numbers and layout availability.

· Registered
8 Posts
I am not sure that Aus Amateur is aware of the large numbers that enter Australian Sporting events,
Annual Australian national Sporting events are far better attended than DTL events
FITAS and Sporting events are growing enormously

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.