Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Wow, looks like prices have gone up a LOT. Makes using a beater stock and bondo much more attractive.

Ironically fit, finished, checkered New American in std dimensions is exactly the same price as a PFS now.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wow, looks like prices have gone up a LOT. Makes using a beater stock and bondo much more attractive.

Ironically fit, finished, checkered New American in std dimensions is exactly the same price as a PFS now.
love my PFS, but those Wenig stock look a lot better. Maybe someday

Reactions: mg1polo

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thank you, it costs more than the A400 I wanted to stock. May consider a do it yourself semi finished just for something to do while the shooting is slowed down.

·
Registered
293 Posts
That's your opinion. Your entitled to it.
MG
I’ve been shooting trap since the 1950s and I started having custom stocks made for my guns in the 1970s. I’ve had custom stocks made by Perazzi and numerous individual stock makers. Wenig has been the best when it comes to fitting the stock to me and their craftsmanship has been outstanding. Just my personal experience through the years.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What exactly does custom dimensions mean? Is that a fitted stock or does that refer to getting a current stock duplicated?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What exactly does custom dimensions mean? Is that a fitted stock or does that refer to getting a current stock duplicated?
Fitted to you.
Each stock is individual.
MG
I had the same question. I know you can have a fitting done by Wenig, either at their shop, or sometimes at a big shoot. Is the $500 for that, or does it mean you can call them with measurements taken of a stock that you are already shooting, maybe with an adjustable comb and pad, and have the stock made to the dimensions of the adjustable stock?

I'm sure a phone call would quickly answer that, but since I'm not really ready to buy yet, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I had a semi-inletted stock made for an A400 a couple years ago, but I never did anything with it, and gave it to the guy I sold the gun to. I had them do the "New American" style, and then learned that the 3" radius of the grip was way too short!

If I get one made for the XLR5 I just bought, I think the "Harlan Campbell - 2" would be better for me, it has the longer grip, more offset, larger drop at heel, and more toe out.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I was going through my files and found Wenig's price list form 2010 when I had a stock and forend made for a Model 12. It looks like they have raised their prices only to keep pace with the rate of inflation, about 1.8 percent a year.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
I was going through my files and found Wenig's price list form 2010 when I had a stock and forend made for a Model 12. It looks like they have raised their prices only to keep pace with the rate of inflation, about 1.8 percent a year.
?

Their machine inlet std grad stock for doubles has gone up 32% since their 2016 price list...$185 to $245

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Their pump/auto stocks have gone up considerably more.

I don't have a past price list go go by, but the one I bought in 06 for a 1100 was $72 w/ shipping. Thats a 340% increase in 14 years.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Their pump/auto stocks have gone up considerably more.

I don't have a past price list go go by, but the one I bought in 06 for a 1100 was $72 w/ shipping. Thats a 340% increase in 14 years.
It's hard to figure how they might come up with pricing. Turnover in leadership/ownership, materials, machinery........who knows.

I'll probably end up buying a semi-inletted stock for the XLR5.....where else am I going to get one? Especially for $245. Heck, the blank alone would probably be half that.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also consider, with DeVault out of the picture, they have less competition. I really wanted to get a Devault stock. He's within driving distance, and I like the way he did the glove grips. But, unfortunately, he's no longer around.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Heck, the blank alone would probably be half that.

You can get a two piece blank in utility grade turkish on ebay for $65 inc shipping (which after fees and paying for shipping is netting him about 40 bucks) from a professional wood seller (so he's making $ at that price). I'll bet you could get a block of plain american walnut big enough for just a stock for 20 bucks or less if you dug hard enough. The cost is NOT in the material.

Turkish Walnut Shotgun / Double Rifle Blank - Gun Stock wood #2-240 Luxus Walnut | eBay

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Also consider, with DeVault out of the picture, they have less competition. I really wanted to get a Devault stock. He's within driving distance, and I like the way he did the glove grips. But, unfortunately, he's no longer around.
Devault never did DIY.

There's plenty of other stockmakers throughout the country, esp for the SC crowd, Wenig and Devault cater overwhelmingly cater to trapshooters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts