Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a place where I can buy a rebuild (re packing kit) for a Mec Hydraulic cylinder? This is the black one. I must have a newer model in my other Mec loader, it is silver and has a larger diameter piston.

After about 18 years of sitting on the bench, I installed the pump and when I cycled it a few times it started to leak from the bottom. I haven't attempted to take it apart.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
There were a couple of people on ts.com that could rebuild it for you or you can send it to mec and they can rebuild it unless it's the sealed style. Maybe someone will chime in on who can rebuild it for you. Jackie B.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently rebuilt mine, both ends unscrewed and I just took it apart and replaced the o rings and a couple flat seals--very easy--went to our local rocket seals here in Denver for replacements and spent about $6.00--I did talk to the mec guy at the nsca nationals and he indicated they have a rebuild kit--good luck
Bob

·
Registered
112 Posts
My suggestion is do not fool around with the old hydro cylinder. Send it to mec and get one that is up to date with the vent tube on the bottom. Also, you should get the fitting for your pump that received thisvent tube.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tite: I noticed on the parts book that The newer Mecs have the vented bottom.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mec quit selling those rebuild kits years ago- have they started again?

As far as a new cyl vs rebuild- you can rebuild your old one about 40-50 times for what a new cyl will cost

The old ones are just fine

regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my wife went by a forklift repair place in our little town to at least get an idea as to where to go and they were closed. Anyone know the part #'s so I can order them online, or a place to buy them near Atlanta? The top part does not come off, I might have to buy a new one if it leaks later on from the top.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Andy & Hulk

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
MEC will not rebuild the older cylinders. Birddog1964 on this site does rebuild the older models.

Mec has always had the parts for the rebuild of the newer models. The problem is if you ask for a rebuild kit, they will tell you they don't have any. If you have the parts number, and I posted them on this site some time back, they will fill all the parts you need to rebuild the newer model cylinder. I would post them again but I just moved and I can't find anything! If I remember right the total came to around $17.

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent Birddog a PM on the 25th, so far no reply. Maybe some one else has the part #'s for the old black piston.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Andy-- I've been told by MEC, in their eyes, the older Black cylinder are not rebuild-able. I don't ever remember anyone ever posting the part numbers because I don't think MEC had any parts for the old Black units. When my first older Black cylinder went bad on my Hustler the only option I had at that time was buy the newer cylinder.

The part numbers I had were for the newer cylinders with the screw top and bottom. I'm sure a hydraulic shop could rebuild one of the Black units, but on this site the only one I know of is birddog.

Good Luck,
Ajax

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.