Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loading 20 gauge reloads for Skeet. I have Gun Clubs, AA's, Top Gun, and regular Remington hulls. I have Red Dot, Green Dot, and 700X powders. I'm using a WAA20 wad and a Cheddite Primer. I'd like about 1200 fps. Recommendations please.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There used to lots of Green Dot 20 gauge loads. Alliant dropped the 20 gauge Green Dot loads at the request of the skeet tube manufacturers as the these loads were hard on the skeet tube chambers. These loads were/are perfectly good for standard barrels but I guess Alliant didn't want to list separate data. Alliant introduced 20/28 shortly after which also may have influenced this decision.

Red Dot and 700X are not usable, except for some 3/4 ounce 20 gauge loads.

Michael

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
The Fed hulls will work with Green Dot and 700X, but you should not use them in tube guns, and you MUST follow the recipe.

I prefer Herco in the Fed hull. Unique, my old favorite, is made of unobtanium right now.

Another vote for the 3/4 oz load. I have loaded this in the 20 for decades, and cannot tell the difference in breaks.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I was happy with INTERNATIONAL Clays in 20 gauge for about 20 years, but the likelyhood of finding that powder any more is pretty slim.

·
Registered
771 Posts
When you use up your current supply of WAA20 wads, take a look at Claybuster 0175-20. This 3/4 oz wad works very well with Green Dot in a variety of hulls. I've been using them lately and getting good skeet scores. -Ed

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
As stated before they retested green dot at the tube makers request. It was explained to me that Green dot had an initial spike in pressure not previously measured in methods. They instantly stopped publishing recipes for Green Dot 20ga. loads. Why mess with it. Too many other good powders out there. Unique is now my powder of choice for 20 and 28.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
As stated before they retested green dot at the tube makers request. It was explained to me that Green dot had an initial spike in pressure not previously measured in methods. They instantly stopped publishing recipes for Green Dot 20ga. loads. Why mess with it. Too many other good powders out there. Unique is now my powder of choice for 20 and 28.
Well I guess if I shot guns with tubes in them I definitely WOULD NOT use it. The fact is that the tube issue was why they quit publishing the data( and that was at the tube makers request). I shot G.D. in the 20 ga. for years and still would if I was still shooting skeet( my guns are not tubed). It patterns great in 7/8 oz. loads. Green Dot is NOT a powder that can be used for 1oz. loads or for higher velocity in 7/8 oz., and if you have the "Need for Speed" in the 20 ga. then" you DEFINITELY need another powder" but, at modest velocities to break a clay on the skeet range or drop a quail, it fills the bill. Is Green Dot the best 20 ga. powder? Not by a Long Shot! But it works in the narrow window I need it for.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello: I am using Green Dot in my 3/4oz loads with Claybuster green wads CB-1034-20, Cheddite primers and Gun Club hulls. I am using 14 grains of Green Dot and it gives me 1240fps. 13.5 grains gives me 1208fps. Great skeet load using #8 1/2 shot or #9. Good also for 5-stand using #8 shot. I have used this 3/4oz load in tubed guns with no problem at all. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Well I guess if I shot guns with tubes in them I definitely WOULD NOT use it. The fact is that the tube issue was why they quit publishing the data( and that was at the tube makers request). I shot G.D. in the 20 ga. for years and still would if I was still shooting skeet( my guns are not tubed). It patterns great in 7/8 oz. loads. Green Dot is NOT a powder that can be used for 1oz. loads or for higher velocity in 7/8 oz., and if you have the "Need for Speed" in the 20 ga. then" you DEFINITELY need another powder" but, at modest velocities to break a clay on the skeet range or drop a quail, it fills the bill. Is Green Dot the best 20 ga. powder? Not by a Long Shot! But it works in the narrow window I need it for.
So what is the actual pressure curve ? I shoot a lot of old side by sides and spikes in pressure not re-flexed by the standard measuring devices is not in my best interest. With so many other options out there I rather just choose one of them.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Don't know about the relative pressure curve or pressure spikes. All I can go by is the PSI rating in the loading data and that falls within the allowable standards for modern fluid steel barrels by the SAAMI. Yes Alliant stopped publishing data for G.D. in 7/8 oz. at the tube manufactures request but, they never recalled the previous data and they have given no indication ( in writing or verbally) that it was unsafe in any solid modern steel barrels. I have a couple of old SXS guns also and I wouldn't shoot loads in either one of them that went much over 7500 PSI just like I wouldn't shoot steel waterfowl loads in my older guns. My 20 Ga. skeet guns consist of one modern semi auto and one Italian made 4-barrel set. As I said ,if I had tube sets I would keep the pressure low. I was always skeptical of them anyway and I have seen tubes crack long before they stopped publishing Green Dot Data. I have no qualms about shoot G.D. in the guns I own but , I can see how some might not want to in older barrels or tube sets.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Seemed to me that the problems with cracking tubes came about when Alliant came out with the "New Clean" burning Green Dot in an attempt to compete with Hodgdon's Int'l.

If you are set on loading 7/8 oz in Win AA or Rem hulls give Alliant a call or e-mail and ask if they know that it is ok to use the old data with current Green Dot in regular 20 ga guns.

Better yet have the old data tested with the current Green Dot.

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts