Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to research the 20 ga. side by sides to make a future purchase. I want a 28" barrel, and reasonably priced, as I actually plan to use it in the field. I am not looking high end, but would like your thoughts and experiences on quality of field grade models. Lastly, I do not like straight stocks. I may spend up to $2000.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you can find them I don't think you can go wrong with a fox,L.C.Smith or a good Ithaca [new model] or the SKB's. Brownings are ok,but it my opinion a little over priced. Like I said in MY opinon,dont hate me Browning lovers.Food for thought,field guns don't get shot as much as target guns and most wear is cosmetic. Good luck in yor quest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have two broad ranges of options I think:

First: buy a classic. A Fox, LC Smith, Ithaca NID, etc. Or a Winchester 24 (there are a few in 20 gauge listed on gunbroker right now, all under $1000). It's a piece of American history. These guns have a great feel. But you won't really know how they were treated, they aren't safe for steel shot, the barrels might need to be resoldered, stocks might have cracked (on the L.C., and unlikely in a 20 gauge but who knows), may not be able to handle modern 3" 20 gauge loads, etc. If something breaks, there are gunsmiths and parts can be found or made, usually. If you sell it, you will probably get your money back.

Or, buy new. A new CZ Ringneck for $910 + shipping + FFL transfer fee. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/shopping_cart.php/sort/6a These are made in Turkey.

I have a similar CZ. Mine is 12 gauge, 28" barrel side by side (but with a straight stock) and have been satisfied. These shotguns have gotten good reviews on shotgunworld, come with 5 choke tubes, are safe for steel shot, 3" chambers, modern pressures, and have a warranty. And you don't feel like you're damaging a piece of Americana every time you lay it down on the ground or get a nick in the stock or smudge on the finish. Like any new gun, you will lose money every time you pull the trigger. But because it wasn't handed down from your grandpa, you won't wince every time a stick touches it, so you can take your hunting seriously. If something breaks, they are still making parts and for the first year it's under warranty. Otherwise, just send it back to the US distributor and have it repaired.

I've only shot mine about 150 times, but no complaints. A friend who is a grouse guide also hunts with a 26" version (his might be a 20 gauge).

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
You may find a fair used AYA 453, Model 23 Winchester, or Beretta 471, but I doubt for $2000. Check Cabelas Gun library, or Doublegun.com.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Another great American made SxS is Baker. (not sure how available in 20).
I found an AYA Matador that I enjoy for less than a thousand. If 20's are
too hard to find, don't be afraid to get a 16. A lot were made on smaller
frames and are a delight. I ordered RST ammo for the first time and it is
great for older doubles and comes to your house. I have shot a CZ and could
not get away from it fast enough. Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have owned and hunted with an SKB Model 100 for over 30 years. My gun has 28" barrels choked MOD and FULL with a pistol grip and splinter fore end. It has been a great gun and can be had for a lot less than $2000. I believe the same gun can be found with 26" barrels choked IC/MOD.

·
Registered
529 Posts
If you will consider SKBs, look for their more recent 385 or 485 models. They can be had for around $1500 and come with choke tubes, single selective trigger, small beavertail forearms and pistol grip stocks.

Good luck,
Scott

·
Banned
3,881 Posts
Buy a gun that fits, no matter what kind it is. Most classic field doubles have deeper drops than you will find on some modern guns. If you mount the gun and you can't quickly find the target between the barrels, you won't enjoy a lot of success. Because side by sides tend to obscure lateral vision, it becomes a bit more important to be able to see over the beads.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have been looking for a decent 20 ga.since one of my clubs started a 20 ga. shhoot. SxS or O/U and both styles kill me before the first round of 25 is done. I went ahead and bought an inexpensive CZ and had the same results. I gave it some thought and had another member who is a gunsmith put on a used pad off a 12 ga. without any fitting or trimming. It works perfectly now without any pain. Ugly but no pain.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
If you can spend $2000. do not buy a pos made in turkey. That's like buying a $600. single barrel trap gun to shoot registered targets with. HELLO just plain dumb.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts