Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my first jug of 20/28 powder. I make lots of 28 ga. target loads to feed two Berettas. One is mine; 687 EL Gold Sporting II, and the other belongs to a friend; 687 Sporting from Etchen. My gun is about 5 years old and his new last year.

We shot these guns about 3 weeks ago with the new 20/28 powder. I don't clean my guns too often. I just wipe them down and put them in the safe.

Yesterday we took the guns out and we discovered the damndest thing...both guns had rust in the chamber wherever there was brass contact from the AAHS hulls. The worst was the shelf cut out for the case rim. It was bad.

So the factors are -

1) never happened before, then happened to two identical sets of barrels at the same time and all other things being equal.

2) the only new variable was the 20/28 powder

3) the corrosion only occurred where the brass case head contacted barrel steel.

What gives? Anyone else experience this? Some kind of chemical in the 20/28 that reacts with brass to oxidize the hell out of chromed steel?

I've shot lots of corrosive ammunition, and this is exactly what that was like. (before someone asks, primers were Winchester)

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Weather conditions? Condensation? You don't swab out your barrels after you use them? Did you bring them in from the cold to a warm house? I really doubt it was the powder. What brand of hulls? You might want to take better care of a multi-thousand dollar gun. Mark

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have noticed moisture condensation in the chamber when using 700x on high humidity days, its possible the 20/28 powder was doing the same thing. The brass section of the chamber and the rim cut are probably rusting faster than the rest of the chamber because the metal is not coated with plastic residue/oil from the hulls. I wouldn't think a chrome lined chamber would rust or pit much and possibly the oxidation you are seeing is from metal particulaes that come off the shell heads. Wipe them down good and look again for actual pitting in the metal.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the desert. No moisture, no condensation, no temp changes....nothing.

These hulls have been reloaded a bunch of times...never a problem before the powder switch.

·
Registered
10,360 Posts
I have used 20/28 since it came out in two guns, no issues. I DO clean my guns.

A Bore Snake sprayed with oil (better than nothing) and a wipe down with an oily cloth might be a good idea to protect your investment.

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
Build you some chamber oilers out of an old Tico Tool, 28 gauge shell heads and drywall screws. Insert them when you get back to the truck. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've used 20/28 in both 20G and 28G in several different guns since it came out - in low and high humidity - using both gun club 20's and AA 28's. I have fellow shooters who have also. I clean my guns but not every time I shoot. Nary a problem. Probably not the powder per se.

--JW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts