Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the other thread was getting a little long,so here goes the only complaint I`ve ever had with the ATA in 30 years of membership.I feel that the 2 yd reductions was a good idea, but the ATA created an unfair precedent with the shooters that have a computer "Y" code.Almost yearly I receive a review card within a week of my new average card.The year of the first 2yd reduction I went from the 27 to the 24 in the month of November.By the end of the target year I earned 2-1yd & 2-1/2 yd punches.The second year I was denied the 2-yd reduction.I have since had 3-1yd reductions to the 24yd line.I was told at last years Grand ,even though I had 3,000 hdcp targets since the last review I could not be reduced in front of the 24 until after I reach 65 years old.I`m 60.There is more than a dozen shooters I personally know who were "Y" coded and were reduced in front of the 24,and continue to get 1,000 target reviews and have been moved up to the 20-21 yd lines.In a conference call with Kathy Key and my state ATA rep I was again told no further reductions until I`m 65y/o_Only once in those 30 years did I carry a hdcp average over 90,and that was 2005.No punches in the last year before the call to Kathy.And believe me my singles average would not keep me from any reductions.I feel as though all "Y" coded shooters should be treated the same!Please know that I`m plenty happy to be able to shoot on the 24,but it rubs me the wrong way to see others under 65y/o who have earned the 27 shooting on the 21-22-23.Sorry for being long winded...KS-OKIE.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Okie,
The Y code was eliminated last year.It is used now only to alert that the shooter has been on the 27 at one time or another.Has no bearing on your reduction unless used for know ability.

TD

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
For the second 2 yard reduction, what was your caps and singles averages at that time? The computer generated reductions kick in depending on the last time you received yardage.

HAP

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok let me explain a bit more.Kathy said I would not receive the second reduction because of 3 yards worth of punches after the first reduction.Fair enough.But after 3 more 1,000 target reviews with 1 yard reductions moving me back to the 24, The ATA official responsible for handicapping(KATHY KEY)said I cannot be reduced in front of the 24yd line until I reach Vet status at 65 years old.But wait,the "Y" code was waived for both of the the 2yd reductions.These same shooters are eligible for futher reductions after 1,000 target reviews.What rubs me raw is the fact that the code was waived for some shooters ,but not for me or anyone else in my same situation.All I`m asking for is to be treated the same.As per the ATA office my state ATA officer and myself was told over the phone that the "Y" code is very much so still enforced.Does anyone think I`m wrong in my thoughts on this ? ..KS-OKIE

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Gaining back the 3 yards quickly called in the known ability rule on you guy. Just my guess but that's more than likely their reasoning. You also didn't say what your singles averages were at the time in addition? That too has a bearing on the decision makers when reductions go below the 24 yard line.

HAP

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hap:At the time singles average in the 92.5 range.Earned the yardage back between Feb-Aug that year,but still ended the target year with a low enough average that qualified me for another reduction in November.The two years of the freebee reductions I shot 8-9 thousand hdcp per year.The 3yds worth of punches earned me $110.00 in lewis cash and I won a flat of shells.Shot at a lot of small shoots,So no money earned issues there.In 30 years of shooting I have never carried a singles average that would block a reduction,and like stated above only 1 years handicap average above my zones break point..KS-OKIE

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Okie, that would only leave me to ask one more question concerning the three earned yards back to the 27 time frame. What was your handicap average on that 1000 targets? If those were below the break point average, you should ask your delegate what exactly what his input was in that decision?

HAP

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You ain't makin no damn money shootin trap, so just go shoot the damn targets and enjoy the dust balls. Geez. We need a new category called "WHINERS"

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Jack, I've always believed that "rules of the game" are to be adhered to by all, including those enforcing them?

Telling a man that believes a wrong was done to him to just shoot regardless? Your the one outa line this time, sorry buddy but that isn't whining, it's merely wanting a fair shake according to the rules!!

HAP

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
Wrong? I did not say that. I'm saying he needs to work this out with the ATA adn the squad table and quit making up a new thread to make us think his deal is the end all of trapshooting problems. Take the damn reduction or shoot from your yardage. If it does not fall into that category, call Kathy Key and get it straitened out where you want to shoot from.

Hap. your interview for GBSLS job is falling flat.

·
Super Moderator
5,111 Posts
Talk to your Delegate and Central Handicap Committeeman.

Kathy handles the administrative work associated with the CHC. She is not "The ATA official responsible for handicapping." That would be your Delegate and CHC rep. Kathy knows the rules, and that's what she quoted you, but the decision belongs to your Delegate and CHC rep.

When the first 2-yd reductions were done, all codes except the "L" code were waived. That's how people who had been "Y" coded were able to be reduced below the 24-yard line. That August the BOD voted to remove the hard and fast "you can't be reduced below the 24 if you are Y coded" rule. Now, Y-coded shooters can be reduced below the 24-yard line, but it's at the discretion of the Delegate and/or the CHC rep.

As stipulated in item 8 of the "Review Process" rules:

"8. No shooter with a “Y” code in their special codes will be reduced below the 24.0 yard line unless they are a Veteran or Senior Veteran. This is a permanent code automatically placed in a shooters records upon reaching the 27.0 yard line. “Y” coded shooters may request a special review through their State Delegate or a member of the Central Handicap Committee."

So, in accordance with the last sentence of item 8, request a special review and see what your Delegate and/or CHC member have to say about your situation.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Wrong again Jack! You same as called the man a "whiner" for asking if others had the same situation? If you don't like a lively discussion, look elsewhere?

AND, I consider your weak attempt at "humor" as to the interview for GBSLS job a direct insult! Possibly we can discuss that one day, mano to mano as Pipe Layer mentions once in a while??

Gene Hapney

·
Premium Member
4,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hap: Believe it or not my hdcp average after the last punch was 89.9.Below the zone break point.I`m not a whiner.I accept being turned down for the second 2yd reduction.I just cannot accept being told no reductions in front of the 24 because of "Y"code.Large numbers of coded shooters were reduced in front of the 24 and can continue to be reduced,when myself and others are told no...I just want a level playing field...KS-OKIE

·
Vendor
19,403 Posts
KS Okie. I do not believe the ATA office had the ability to put in all the qualifiers into the computer. they have had some issues. Perhaps too, they did not envision your particular circumstance. Actually, I fully support your efforts to move forward per the rules and will so in the future. In fact you are one of my trapshooting heroes because you are out there doing it. Shooting his best to win and have fun. I only railed against a tiring thread theme. Not against you. A whiner wishes and laments as he speaks. You are clearly not doing that.

Jack

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Okie call Kathy and ask her now.We had this conversation only a few weeks ago.The Y Code is no longer in use.

Terry Dean Delegate,CHC Southern Zone

1 - 20 of 51 Posts