Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently loaded a flat of 1 oz clays powder 16.3 grains, winchester 209 primers, with WAA12SL wads with Winchester hulls. I like the shells they seem to hit hard but I've been getting a couple of duds like 2 out of 50. The powder is fairly new only opened a few weeks a go. I'm using a mec Grabber reloader 762R was wondering what to look for or if I'm doing something wrong? I know there's probably lots of common things but was wondering if you guys could point me in the right directions thank you

John

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I'd call all 50 of those puff loads......:p

Seriously, could be primers. All 50 went off? Stack height? temp?

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Make sure the rod on the side that pushes your shot/powder bar across is pushing it ALL the way. If the nut on the bottom of the rod loosened up it may not be pushing it across so it is only getting a partial charge of powder. Also the faster you push the handle down and then let it up will affect the drop dramatically if the bar is not going all the way across. I had this happen and had loaded about 50 boxes. Some had 9 grains some had 16 and some were in between. I had to double nut the rod on my 762R which fixed it for a while but all my linkage was worn so it kept getting out of adjustment (the curved part on the end of the rod was worn and the holes and bolts all wallowed out).

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Like fostyman stated, you may be operating the handle too fast and/or not bottoming it out on the down stroke.
My also is that the bar may be hanging up. When this happens one shell will have no powder or shot.
After checking the adjustments fostyman stated, try making sure you bottom out the down stroke, quickly come up 1/2 way up watching that the bar springs back then bring the handle completely up.

Jason

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are using a brass washer for powder sealing check that hasn't slid over thus blocking the powder drop. Also peek inside the drop tube for a bit of debris that could inhibit the powder fall. Unfortunately if there is debris the next shell after a light one could be heavier than desired.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I assume your reloader is grounded, check the powder hoppers, I had the same thing happened to me turned out there was a piece of a coil spring in the powder hopper

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are using a brass washer for powder sealing check that hasn't slid over thus blocking the powder drop. Also peek inside the drop tube for a bit of debris that could inhibit the powder fall. Unfortunately if there is debris the next shell after a light one could be heavier than desired.
ps Did a wad come out when you shot? No wad =little noise.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Here are pictures of the bar NOT all the way over to the left and the resulting light drop for the powder. The second set of pictures show full travel and fully exposed powder drop. I wasted a flat of components by not checking the travel on every shell. The pictures shown are from the Universal Charge Bar. A standard MEC bar will have a similar result.
20180608_203311.jpg
20180608_203302.jpg
20180608_203229.jpg
20180608_203254.jpg

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
When I reloaded on the Grabber, I had some reloads that went off and broke targets but had a soft report and very little recoil. This was with 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's and 18 grains of Red Dot, 12C1 wads, F209A primers and Federal Paper hulls. I was using the universal charge bar. I read a post on TS.com about using the standard MEC charge bar and using a file to ream out the powder bushing to drop the exact load. The problem went away and I stopped using the universal charge bar.

I also noticed that the Grabber charge bar was sensitive to how the tight the powder and shot bottles were screwed down. Too tight and the charge bar did not slide smoothly while reloading. I learned to tighten the bottles so that they did not wobble mut not as tight as they could go.

I moved on to a MEC 9000G and the problem went away.

When using MEC reloaders, I learned not to go too fast and watch the primer, powder and shot drops for each cycle.

When I loaded 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 oz. of 6's or 5's for "games", sometimes the shot would bridge coming out of the bottle and not give an accurate shot drop. A slow, deliberate pull of the handle fixed this problem. other reloaders, I am told, added a little powdered graphite to their shot.

Always watch the primer drop. Sometimes, a primer would not drop and I would mess up a shell. When this happened, I would drop powder into a shell with no primer and powder would foul the priming station. Somehow, after cleaning out the priming station, I would drop a primer and then come down on the primer without a hull in the grabber. The primer would then be pushed into the powder drop tube and not come out. Subsequent reloads would not get a full powder drop or no powder drop. By watching the crimp, I could identify reloads with little or no powder.

You can also reload a lot of shells and exhaust all of the powder in the powder bottle and end up with dud reloads.

When shooting registered with 1 1/8 oz. loads, a hull with no powder and a Federal 209A would push the shot out and the scorer would call "lost". Winchester and Remington primers usually failed to push the shot out and the scorer would give a "Failure to Fire" and you could shoot again.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I shoot about that same load. The load works fine. You are getting light powder drops for some reason. I would suggest checking a lot of drops for a while while you are loading shells. On the Grabber you can just pull a hull with the powder drop, weigh it, and the put it right back in sequence. I had a problem with a flake of plastic in the drop tube once. I would run a brush through the drop tube just to be sure. And another grain of powder would only improve that load.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input. Tonight i checked my loader and when i pulled the handle down i pushed the bar some more to the left with the handle down and could hear more shot drop and don't think it was sliding all the way, so then i adjusted the long arm that pushes the bar across about two turns and now the bar is traveling all the way across. I then did about 12 pulls and measured pretty consistently between 17.2 to 17.4. I'm gonna load about 150 shells and take them to the range friday and see how it goes thanks for the input

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Spice,
birdk9 posted some very good pictures of charge bar travel. I use the same adjustable charge bar he uses. I didn't like the two corners slightly covered though, so I removed the large head slotted screw and ground down the head to the same actual diameter as the threads.

This gave about .045 additional charge bar travel to the left and fully exposed the powder hole. The screw head is easily ground down with the threads chucked in a drill and using a common bench grinder. (You could even find a small bolt in your collection with the same but longer threads and screw it in to see what the travel will look like).
The "long arm" will need further adjusting as needed, and will continue to need adjustment if the press is heavily used.

It's been too many years for me to remember if a MEC charge bar shows the same view as the picture with the corners slightly covered, so none of this may apply.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Make sure the rod on the side that pushes your shot/powder bar across is pushing it ALL the way. If the nut on the bottom of the rod loosened up it may not be pushing it across so it is only getting a partial charge of powder. Also the faster you push the handle down and then let it up will affect the drop dramatically if the bar is not going all the way across. I had this happen and had loaded about 50 boxes. Some had 9 grains some had 16 and some were in between. I had to double nut the rod on my 762R which fixed it for a while but all my linkage was worn so it kept getting out of adjustment (the curved part on the end of the rod was worn and the holes and bolts all wallowed out).
I would bet a dollar that is the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts