Trapshooters Forum banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Wow! This thread has been a great read. In between all the BS there has been a lot of good hypothetical info to think about. I just wish I knew a definitive answer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Were you using 7.5 or 8 shot?

Seriously, those are two beautiful guns . I think someone else asked this, but I didnt see the answer ( or maybe dont remember it).

What is the weight difference? I’m a crummy shooter next to most everyone on the forum . But I experience the same thing with my browning vs lighter beretta o/u. The heavier browning requires less perceived lead. I hypothesized that the barrel had more momentum . But I shoot one eyed, with a low hold and require more gun movement .

I doubt you move the gun very much when you shoot trap, so Im prolly FOS.

I really want a Zoli now !

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here are 2 guns of mine. One is a K80 Pro Sporter 32" and the other a Zoli HR 32". Both are set up identical, yet the Z gun has considerably less perceived lead (doesn't matter left or right). In other words, I don't have to lead a target nearly as much with the Z gun as I do the K gun. I can't figure this one out.

Here is the formula some people use to “prove” longer barrels equals less perceived lead but keep in mind, it is based on perception. I guess it does offer some validity to faster lock time and higher velocities.

A = Lead at the target in inches
B = Distance to target in inches
C = Lead at bead in inches
D = Length of sighting plane in inches

A/B = C/D
C = (A/B) * D
A = (C/D) * B

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think these two guns are both irreparably flawed and possibly even conspiring against you. They are unworthy of you. The safest thing for you to do is to send them both to me. I will generously keep them away from you, and give you space to find new ones more deserving of you.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Here are 2 guns of mine. One is a K80 Pro Sporter 32" and the other a Zoli HR 32". Both are set up identical, yet the Z gun has considerably less perceived lead (doesn't matter left or right). In other words, I don't have to lead a target nearly as much with the Z gun as I do the K gun. I can't figure this one out.

How are you establishing your leads on these "Yuppie Clays"?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gun swing speed is the biggest difference I noticed.
Just a slight difference in pistol grip/palm swell may alter swing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would say gun speed is probably the culprit. Theoretically- shell velocity or the different lock times of the 2 triggers could account for it, as well but the math has been done on shell speed and the difference in lead isn’t much. The difference in the lock time would be even less. Also, if it you continue moving the gun at the same velocity, the speed of the trigger doesn’t affect lead at all, you will just break the target slightly further down it’s path.

I guess you could take both guns to the same station with a crossing target and try breaking that target with both guns and using both to break it with sustained lead and the swing through method. You’ll have less lead on the same target with the swing through method using both guns (because of gun speed), but it would be a good check to see if you are seeing different leads because you favor one method over the other with the same gun.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
The word perceived explained it. Tron "feel/thought" the leads were different.

Like pretty much everything in trapshooting, problems were likely between our ears.

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
Like pretty much everything in trapshooting, problems were likely between our ears.
But he isn’t trapshooting. So that can’t be it.

HeH.

Reactions: Steve W
61 - 80 of 99 Posts