Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize there's no way to please everyone, but what are your thoughts on a 2 boxes to the line rule? Monthly registered events, an ample number of traps with paid scorer/loaders, seldom more than 2 flights of singles, even less with caps and doubles. When events and especially shoot offs run all the way into 4 or 5 o'clock, attendance always starts to dwindle in the following months. A lot of people have other things they need/want to that afternoon. I'm asking about taking 2 boxes to the line, shooting 50, take a short break while the trap is loaded and repeat to finish the 100.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
First off I think if you've got the attitude of" I need to get done' I've got other things to do" you should have stayed home and taken care of them. Your mind sure isn't on breaking the best score possible or hoping that best score good enough to win or will you need to shoot off. To my way of thinking your done when you're thinking that way.
Most shoots have in their programs that they refer the right to modify the program if needed. If they chronically need to have shooters take two boxes to the line and the situation is as you've stated above someone needs to get their head out of their a$$ and hustle the squads a bit. Maybe others will have other suggestions but if it's as they say and they insist on taking two boxes to the line instead of fixing the problems I doubt they'll have to worry about it long. Management can solve this.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Nope, won't do it, and doubt it would ever fly. A lot of shooters are older and can barely get through 25 in the heat or cold and need the slight break in between boxes. I don't like a long lull, but enough to grab a drink of water and wipe the sweat off my brow. 50 straight would be a good way to make attendance drop even more.

Horrible idea...IMO

EDIT, to agree with jk80, if you are in a hurry to get finished at a trap shoot, you need to stop shooting trap. It is an all day affair.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I totally agree with jk80 and Gussers. When I go to a registered event, that IS what I am doing for the day! I make no other plans and concentrate on the shoot. That doesn't mean I will break them all, but I try and concentrate and do my best. My favorite way to shoot a registered event is 2 rounds of 25 at the same trap, then move and shoot the last 2 rounds. Seems more convienent than using 4 different traps. But I'll do it either way and still have a great time.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
It’s been done, I have attended shoots where that has worked. Nothing wrong with it. Hustle shooters? You would have better luck teaching cats to walk single file with 1 foot between them, no more, no less.
I was a director till this year for our state association and set targets and ran the line making sure things were moving. Herding cats is possible Rick. You just have to explain to those cats if they keep holding up the shoot the next squad will"play through " or they can pick up the pace or be sent to the practice trap. Following through and being consistent with all the shooters work wonders and I got more than a few thanks from the squads being held up. Any more than 5 minutes between boxes unless someone is having a problem is unacceptable. Smoking a cigarette and shooting the bull can wait until after the round. It's a matter of respect. No one will begrudged a shooter getting a drink or refocusing but it shouldn't take 15 minutes.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I imagine we've all done it at one time or another Rick. I just don't like it when I have to because a squad is dragging their feet. Won't kill anyone and I'll always love my mom!!!

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
I realize there's no way to please everyone, but what are your thoughts on a 2 boxes to the line rule? Monthly registered events, an ample number of traps with paid scorer/loaders, seldom more than 2 flights of singles, even less with caps and doubles. When events and especially shoot offs run all the way into 4 or 5 o'clock, attendance always starts to dwindle in the following months. A lot of people have other things they need/want to that afternoon. I'm asking about taking 2 boxes to the line, shooting 50, take a short break while the trap is loaded and repeat to finish the 100.

smoyman1, asking opinions here will result in some people saying no others yes and will not get your problem solved. There is nothing in the ATA rule that prohibits your suggestion, if you are having problems finishing a shoot on time, do what you are suggesting. It’s been done, some won’t like it some won’t care. I deleted my other posts so I don’t offend someone.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I imagine we've all done it at one time or another Rick. I just don't like it when I have to because a squad is dragging their feet. Won't kill anyone and I'll always love my mom!!!
This is supposed to be our hobby, meant to be enjoyed
with our friends, not rushed through to accommodate
more shooters than can be handled in the proper
manner. IMHO

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
If a club wants to speed things up the first thing they should do is hustle between events. I’ve seen many clubs bitch about this and have an hour or more between each event. If you want shooters to have a good time and come back again, you can’t push them past their physical limits. Very few clubs have more shooters show up than what they can handle at an ATA shoot.

If your goal is to leave as quickly as possible and spending the least amount of time there, may I suggest going to a Catholic Mass on Sunday instead. The parking lot there clears faster than a Bingo hall.

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
Maybe I should take up knitting. Asking me to take two boxes to the line is more than I can hanlde.

Reactions: Strum

·
Registered
198 Posts
25 per field feels good, a few minute break after each 25 is good. Being in a rush to shoot and get out of there quick is not for me. In fact I avoid shoots that are more concerned about getting done as quickly as possible as opposed to a full day of shooting at a relaxed pace shooting 100 target events. If you're in hurry just shoot the 1st event and leave.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
This is supposed to be our hobby, meant to be enjoyed
with our friends, not rushed through to accommodate
more shooters than can be handled in the proper
manner. IMHO
then perhaps league shooting would be better for you. I may be wrong but I think you'll find most on here go to a shoot to do their best as the main focus, not just as a hobby. It's a competition. When I go to shoot I do so with a purpose, winning! I think most you run into at larger shoots feel the same way. That's what I enjoy. Does that make me wrong or you? How about we just respect each others time and ambitions. I still maintain more than 5 minutes except for extenuating circumstances is the max. Enjoy your b.s. sessions in the clubhouse and let everyone else enjoy their day.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It isn't that we don't want shooters to enjoy themselves. It isn't that we don't want older shooters to have ample time. But, the 10 minute breaks between boxes is excessive. It's discourteous to everyone that follows. We had our scorekeepers write starting and ending time on the scoresheets last year. It was very revealing, one or two excessively slow squads will mire an entire day down.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
If a club wants to speed things up the first thing they should do is hustle between events. I’ve seen many clubs bitch about this and have an hour or more between each event.
Very good point Rick. A club near me has very few shooters attend their shoots for this very reason. They throw 300 targets, start at 10 am and have finished as late as 7 in the evening. It doesn't have to become a game of attrition!

·
Registered
32,284 Posts
It isn't that we don't want shooters to enjoy themselves. It isn't that we don't want older shooters to have ample time. But, the 10 minute breaks between boxes is excessive. It's discourteous to everyone that follows. We had our scorekeepers write starting and ending time on the scoresheets last year. It was very revealing, one or two excessively slow squads will mire an entire day down.
Questions.

How many traps do you have?

What is a typical program of the day? Number of events, number of targets thrown.

How many squads do you have on a typical day you hold a shoot?

What time does your program start?

Are your fields illuminated at night?

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Then find those squads and "hustle" them along, you know like a squad hustler is supposed to do. Why punish everyone for 5-10 shooters that aren't being considerate?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I agree with most everyone here. This is a sport that does NOT need to be hurried. When you are paying $100. or more a day to shoot a program, and you are trying to shoot a good score and maybe be a winner in something you don't need to be hurried. There are a couple of clubs that require you to bring 2 boxes to the line and don't want you to leave the line except to check score sheet, I am starting to avoid these clubs. Maybe they will get the message and see attendance decline. I totally agree that some shooters take way too much time, but if its hot, and I am squad leader, I watch the squad in between boxes and when everyone has had a drink of water and got their ammo, I walk back to the line and the squad usually follows. This is a sport of pleasure, NOT pain.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts