Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start shooting more sporting clays. I am looking at a Beretta A400 that has a 3.5" chamber and I'll always shoot 2.75" shotshells.
I can't imagine that would make any noticeable difference, but wondering anyway if there will be any problems with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Longer chamber is ok, too short is not. No problem shooting shorter shells in a longer chamber.

You may loose some velocity, but not enough to matter much.

Jason

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
Isn’t that what lengthening forcing cones is all about or am I confused again?

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Howie, if you are looking at this gun but have not bought it yet I would question why you want it.

I have a 3.5 and in 25 years I have put maybe a single box of 3.5's down the pipe. Just not needed if you ask me. No more speed, no better ballistics, just more pellets and a huge increase in recoil to tear stuff up. The choice is yours but I doubt I'll ever feel outgunned with a 3".

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Unless I wanted it to duck hunt with steel shot I would pass. The gun is heavier and the action longer and it might not work well with target shells. I do not know about the patterning except to guess the long chamber will not improve patterns and might hurt them some.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I use the earlier version, the A391 Extrema 3.5 inch chamber gun. It’s heavy but as long as it fits you well, will do just fine. I ended up buying a wenig stock to get a better fit. I do want to do a pattern test one of these days. Mostly to satisfy my curiosity whether the aftermarket choke I have does any better than the factory chokes.

Dual purpose gun. You can turn clays into smoke balls with target loads. Or knock down a getting the heck outta dodge Canada goose at 65 yards to complete the triple.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Isn’t that what lengthening forcing cones is all about or am I confused again?
"Lengthening forcing cones" doesn't change the chamber length. Only the angle at which the chamber diameter transitions to the barrel diameter.

Reactions: TC

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
"Lengthening forcing cones" doesn't change the chamber length. Only the angle at which the chamber diameter transitions to the barrel diameter.
No, but isn’t the effect almost the same? Shooting a 2-3/4 shell in a 3-1/2 chamber is not going to cause any problems as OP asked.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
No, not really.

Absolutely correct.
I have guns with lengthened forcing cones and some without. I can’t tell the difference between them. I guess my feeling about them is the same as others and porting.

Reactions: timb99
1 - 11 of 11 Posts