Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Novice shooter. Cannot seem to hit anything from the 1st position. Other positions are fine (for novice shooter). any suggestions on how to improve from the 1st position, and what I may be doing wrong on that spot?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
You do not say if you are shooting singles, caps, or doubles. I will assume all 3 are giving you problems. Best advice I can give you from here without actually seeing you shoot is make sure you hold your gun still until you have identified where the target is going. I have been shooting for years and sometimes still struggle with same thing. Other thing you might do is get an real good experienced shooter to watch you. Where you hold on the trap, high, low, left, right, etc also makes a difference. What you will have to find is what works for you. I do what I need to do to help me shoot better, some days it works better than other days. Guess bottom line is practice a lot, you will eventually figure it out.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I am new to the sport as well....I have only shot 9 rounds of trap so far but I had the opportunity to shoot alone one day and asked if they could lock the trap to just throw straight away at position three then shoot from any position I wanted....I shot the first 8 clays from station 3 than the next 8 from station 1 then the rest from station 5....since I didn't have to worry about where the bird was going I could concentrate on hold and follow thru. I shot 3 rounds that way and IT WORKED WONDERS.
Maybe you could do the same thing and just fire from station one the entire round and then you can have them lock it down to throw any angle your having a problem with and you practice that one station.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Hi jerry. Our great friend Jim "Whiz" White and Jim Forsbuch made up an excellent pdf file on this subject

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just an opinion, lots of people myself included, tend to pull their face off the gun to see the target. Keep your cheek welded to the stock. If you are a lefty you push the gun off your face. It can happen on post 5 also.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Shotgunner55 has the solution to your problem.

Keep you head on the stock. When going to a left bird, some of us, (me) have a tendency to get out eyes ahead of the gun and in doing so, we pull our head right off of the stock. It is really easy to do and you don't even notice it. It looks to you like you are right on the bird, but you're not.

Slow down just a bit and make sure the gun is with you when you go chasing those left devil birds.

Good luck........

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Shotgunner55 has the solution to your problem.

Keep you head on the stock. When going to a left bird, some of us, (me) have a tendency to get out eyes ahead of the gun and in doing so, we pull our head right off of the stock. It is really easy to do and you don't even notice it. It looks to you like you are right on the bird, but you're not.

Slow down just a bit and make sure the gun is with you when you go chasing those left devil birds.

Good luck........

Hauxfan!
I agree, I had & still have the same problem @ station 1. But by slowing down a hair & not shooting so quick (like you said) , I was able to have the gun catch up to the movement of my eye chasing the bird!

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Get your mind right!You sound as though you have convinced yourself that you can't break targets on station 1.You really can!Just practice and shoot all you can and it will come to you before you realize it.THEY AIN'T THAT HARD!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all for the great feedback.

To answer questions: I shoot RH, singles. Cheek weld is the same in all stations.

Yes, missing hard lefts, but pretty much everything on station one. The other day on positions 5, 6, and then 1, I shot 3/5, 5/5, 0/5.

Where do I find: "Jim "Whiz" White and Jim Forsbuch ... pdf file on this subject."

I do plan on several practice rounds at the first station, but I'm first trying to make sure my stance and related shooting basics are correct for that spot.

Jerry

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks to all for the great feedback.

To answer questions: I shoot RH, singles. Cheek weld is the same in all stations.

Yes, missing hard lefts, but pretty much everything on station one. The other day on positions 5, 6, and then 1, I shot 3/5, 5/5, 0/5.

Where do I find: "Jim "Whiz" White and Jim Forsbuch ... pdf file on this subject."

I do plan on several practice rounds at the first station, but I'm first trying to make sure my stance and related shooting basics are correct for that spot.

Jerry
You may have to over compensate with your hold point on station #1, like holding your gun/bead further to the left than normal & possibly having your gun higher above the trap house than normal, to compensate for the loss birds. I've had to do this with my 1100 comp. due to the heavy barrel & weight distribution, it has helped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
jMHO the first position can be tricky. Here are some things I learned and you can take it for what it's worth:
1) line up straight to the middle peg out in front of the trap house
2) from there drop your right foot back (assuming you're a right handed shooter) to about 45* to the peg
3) from there mount your gun as you would and hold your gun about 1 foot to the left of the house and lew almost to the level of the trap house roof
4) here you make sure you keep your head on the comb and keep it tight (I can't emphasize that enough)
5) now glaze past the trap house and over your sights. When the bird comes out make a smooth movement following it and then leading it at the proper place and squeeze the trigger

The most important things you have to adopt to yourself is foot position, staying on the gun and hold. I am still learning but have learned these 3 things are important. Coming off the gun can throw off your pOA/POI. Holding the gun in a certain place will allow you enough of a view and clearance to see and follow the bird. I have tried both a high and low hold. For singles a low hold works much better for me because it is easier for me to follow the bird from this position

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Novice shooter. Cannot seem to hit anything from the 1st position. Other positions are fine (for novice shooter). any suggestions on how to improve from the 1st position, and what I may be doing wrong on that spot?
I Almost agree with TRAPPER, but....

I have had to go with the toes of both feet on the front of the box, OR

saying it another way,

Your barrel should never have to go to the right of straightway of the post 1 sidewalk, so if you set your position so any move or attempt to move to the right is bound up it will let or even help you swing to the right.

Hold point just off the corner of the house just below the flight path a hard right will take.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My suggestions would be:

1) Feet shoulder width apart and shift majority of weight (70 to 80% - you decide based on comfort) to front foot.

2) At home, with your gun shouldered like you're shooting, swing left until you feel strain in your lower back. Now swing right until you feel strain in your lower back. The exact middle - of those two back strain positions - is where you want your unstrained body position pointed "to break the most difficult bird you're likely to encounter from whatever station you're on". Memorize that position and set yourself up for that positioning when arriving at any station.

3) As already mentioned above - on station 1 move off the corner of the trap house by some fixed amount. Experiment with how much based on what feels comfortable to you and allows you to still visually pick up any straightaway. If you encounter a straighaway from #1 - take your time getting to it, don't rush it. Also experiment, on station 1, with where you're looking to best pick up the bird launching.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
If you are new to the Sport of Trapshooting get yourself a copy of Trapshooting by D. Lee Braun. One of the best, simple, easy to understand trapshooting books available... Now lets get out on the Trap field. Pick a post... Post 1 thru 5. If we were going to shoot skeet...? It would be stations 1 thru 8. Keep your head in the game and have fun...

Sportalluring

1 - 18 of 18 Posts