Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a recipe and started reloading 12g shells. I have 18.2g of titewad with a win 209 primer, claybuster tgt12, in a nitro gold hull. Only thing is the book called for a federal gold metal hull instead of a nitro. Do I dump out the insides and start again or is it a safe load?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
It would be making more pressure than I would be comfortable with. Hodgdon lists your components, except with a Figure 8 wad, and 17.8 grains of Titewad, at 11,300 psi. You would be OK if you were loading 1 oz. Try prying open the crimp and dumping just the shot, and reloading them with 1 oz of shot and recrimping. Mark

·
Registered
13,623 Posts
Hodgdon says 17.8 grains w/ Win Primer, Nitro Hull, Titewad, Fig 8 wad, and a 1 1/8oz shot gets you 11,300 PSI and 1200fps.

Extrapolating the difference b/w the 1145 and 1200 fps loads (obviously extrapolation isn't 100% accurate, but sufficient in this instance to prove a point), yours should be close to 1271fps, and 11,972psi, which is 472 psi OVER SAAMI maximum pressure specifications.

You would PROBABLY be OK, but my suggestion would be to cut them all open and start again. Better safe than sorry. Hope you didn't load a bunch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts