Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was thinking about shooting some singles in the upcoming Missouri state shoot but I am not currently a member of ATA or have any “registered targets”...

Do I just need to join for 20 bucks and presquad then show up...?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Assuming you really are new and seeking info here are a few items . Yes you can start at ANY ATA shoot but ,starting off at a state shoot ( although it's possible) can be rather overwhelming ! I would suggest finding a smaller shoot to learn the ropes. You did not list your age or gender . If you are younger than 18 your dues will be less and starting yardage assignment is less for females and sub juniors . Though you will be a assigned a standard class and yardage as a new shooter , In Handicap it is 20 yards for adult males and 19 for Sub, jr. and females, At most shoots you can expect to shoot what is called "penalty" yardage and penalty class until you establish a known ability . That means you will be shooting at a "much longer "yardage and at least "A or B" class if you have no recorded history. Second thing is ,before you enter ,you should get a hold of a rule book and review it before entering. There are many rules and some not written to consider. If you shoot an auto loader you need to have a shell catcher or a DEFLECTOR to keep from hitting others next to you. You need to be aware of the number of shells fired and be ready to move when the time comes and under no circumstances ever step off the post with a loaded gun. Finally Don't be afraid to ASK for help. We ALL started at some point. If you are new , MOST will try and help if they know you are a new shooter. Good luck in your shooting.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
You can join both the ATA and the MTA (Missouri Trapshooting Association) on the day you go to the shoot.

If you live in Missouri, you must be a member of the MTA to shoot ATA competitions in Missouri.

If you want to presquad (good idea) and prepay, you can join the ATA online and then you'll need to go to www.motraps.com and join there too.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
Go for it. No need to pre-squad or any of that. Just show up there Saturday morning and pay up and get squaded. It could be a tad overwhelming for you though? Some people like this though. Do not bet on anything. Just shoot targets only. Try to stay relaxed and shoot like it was practice at your club. break em all jeff

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
One more thing, unless you are a real good shot, when classifying tell the person you want "Targets Only". Until you get the hang of things, don't waste your money playing options. Also DO NOT start on position #1 until you know what is going on. Other than that, meet new people, ask questions when you are relaxing, and most of all be SAFE and have fun.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Are there any other states that require you to be a member of the state association in order to shoot ATA targets? I understand it says if you live in Missouri you must.
Had never heard of this before so just wondering.

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
Are there any other states that require you to be a member of the state association in order to shoot ATA targets? I understand it says if you live in Missouri you must.
Had never heard of this before so just wondering.
Far as I know everyone MUST be a member of their state association to shoot ATA targets.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Requiring State Association membership is quite common, but not every state requires it. Michigan for example does not.
JB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gents. I have shot a season or two in men’s league, otherwise just with friends. So wasn’t sure about starting out ‘cold’ without any record or registered targets. Sounds like I’ll join MTA and try out a few singles games - avoid the options (which I don’t understand anyway) - and have a blast.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Thanks Gents. I have shot a season or two in men’s league, otherwise just with friends. So wasn’t sure about starting out ‘cold’ without any record or registered targets. Sounds like I’ll join MTA and try out a few singles games - avoid the options (which I don’t understand anyway) - and have a blast.

Just to get your interest going, play the Lewis option on a singles event or two: 1) basically it is a "lucky number" drawing game 2) not real expensive 3) your score might win you a few $$ Just go to have fun and learn the game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts