Trapshooters Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
816 Posts
I'm more tired after a day of shooting than I was fifty years ago. But I'm tired from walking a sporting course or four or eight times around a semicircle on skeet. I'm certainly tired from swinging a gun around, especially a tubed O/U. But I'm just as tire after shooting 1 1/8 ounce loads as I am from shooting 1 ounce loads. After shooting a 100 straight I'm don't feel as tired as I do from from shooting a 99.

That's a good point. When I was young, but full grown, I not only wanted 1 1/8th ounces, but also 3 dram (1200FPS) loads for everything. At that point that worked pretty well for me. As I have gotten older, (70th birthday coming up), I have found I can tell quite a bit of difference between how I feel, energy wise, at the end of a long day of shooting 1 1/8 ounce loads and shooting the same number of 1 oz loads. I'm at the point that I shoot better at the end of the day with a little less wear and tear and the one ounce loads give me that. I believe for me, I gain as many birds from still being sharper on the last hundred of the day as I lose in "lucky" hits with fringe pattern. Don't get me wrong. I still shoot five hundred bird doubles marathons, and I don't use a recoil reducer. I'm just a bit quicker and surer at the end of the day with less recoil through out. I also have to tell you that as a reloader, the extra 45 shells per bag of shot does not hurt my feelings any! LOL! Not knocking what works for you, just passing on a different perspective.

·
Registered
17,225 Posts
Well now. Seems to be some cocaine mentality (more is better) regarding shot payload. When they went from ounce and a quarter to 24 gram loads for International, guess what? Scores improved!
I use one ounce exclusively for everything with the exception of cold weather long yardage trap. No intention to change.

HM

·
Banned
9,591 Posts
Well now. Seems to be some cocaine mentality (more is better) regarding shot payload. When they went from ounce and a quarter to 24 gram loads for International, guess what? Scores improved!
I use one ounce exclusively for everything with the exception of cold weather long yardage trap. No intention to change.

HM
Do you feel that if the payload limit was increased to 1oz, everyone would continue to use 24gr?
Don't be nieve!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Not really,
There are 51 to 55 additional pellets in a 1 1/8 oz load of #8's in comparison to 1 oz of # 8's.
A 12% increase.

I wrote that i use 1 oz #8 for singles and doubles. I wrote I use 1 1/8th oz 7.5's for handicap. So, look on your chart, it shows 410 pellets for 1 oz #8 and 394 pellets of 7.5 at 1 1/8th oz.
410 minus 394 equal 16 pellets more in the 1 oz #8.

Here is another twist, if you weigh them on a scale it is reasonably close due to the air space(measure by volume, weight by scale). Or at least in my three squirrel brain, close enough not to matter. Of the three squirrels, Ol' Buck the right side lead squirrel pulls off a bit at times so i may be in error. No matter as I've always believed it matters more where you point the gun than what you throw down the barrel. Anyway that is what I use and it works well for me. It's all good....

·
Banned
816 Posts
I shoot 1 ounce at least 10 to 1, maybe 20 to 1, over 1 1/8 ounce. I prefer less recoil. I don't pretend 1 ounce "patterns better". I use 1 ounce when I am shooting for my personal enjoyment. Less recoil is more enjoyable

But when I am shooting to win, when every target counts, I shoot 1 1/8 ounce.

·
Banned
9,591 Posts
I wrote that i use 1 oz #8 for singles and doubles. I wrote I use 1 1/8th oz 7.5's for handicap. So, look on your chart, it shows 410 pellets for 1 oz #8 and 394 pellets of 7.5 at 1 1/8th oz.
410 minus 394 equal 16 pellets more in the 1 oz #8.

Here is another twist, if you weigh them on a scale it is reasonably close due to the air space(measure by volume, weight by scale). Or at least in my three squirrel brain, close enough not to matter. Of the three squirrels, Ol' Buck the right side lead squirrel pulls off a bit at times so i may be in error. No matter as I've always believed it matters more where you point the gun than what you throw down the barrel. Anyway that is what I use and it works well for me. It's all good....
12% is 12%, it's either shot weight or pellet count. Of course they all work and work very well, the reason for my question, take the most recent large Trap shoot, the Autumn Grand recently held in Tuson, Arizona. Below is the High All Around Standings.
Why are 98% of the Top 15 shooters using 1 1/8oz loads?
Font Material property Parallel Pattern Number

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kindly do not take offense to this question, it's an honest one.
How many of you A, AA and AAA shooters, are competing in ATA events, using 1oz loads?
I do use 1oz for first shot in doubles, but that's it. Everything else is
1 1/8th.
Just curious,
MG so it went from from the above to what's below.... just curious to slightly confrontational?

12% is 12%, it's either shot weight or pellet count. Of course they all work and work very well, the reason for my question, take the most recent large Trap shoot, the Autumn Grand recently held in Tuson, Arizona. Below is the High All Around Standings.
Why are 98% of the Top 15 shooters using 1 1/8oz loads?
I stated what I use and what works for me in response to your "Just curious" and you start quoting statistics. I know quite a few of the guys on your list and shoot with some of them, shoot against some of them and generally hold my own. I also don't take the sport quite as serious as some of them and don't spend near as much money as some of them in travel across the nation searching for warm weather in Florida or Arizona or searching for All American points.

In answer to your last question why the top 15 shooters use 9/8's loads? I'm not sure they all do and possibly they have never tried 1oz loads. My thoughts are to each his own.
Usually when someone pokes at me about shooting 1oz loads, they don't have the averages or tournament wins to prove their argument. When someone that does brings it up I will listen to their reasoning. In Harlan's clinic this spring he told the group he didn't care what was being shot as long as it would smoke a target. Hitting the target with the center of the pattern was what mattered.

And for Pheasantmaster, 410 #8 pellets for singles and doubles is giving me an aggregate average of ~97% for the two disciplines so I think they are working pretty hard. I do like the 7.5's for 27 yard hits, but I do shoot the light ones from back there and draw smoke often. I stated it before, to me it matters more where you point the barrel than what you throw down it. By the way the only factory shells I shoot are at the grand handicap events.

·
Banned
9,591 Posts
MG so it went from from the above to what's below.... just curious to slightly confrontational?

I stated what I use and what works for me in response to your "Just curious" and you start quoting statistics. I know quite a few of the guys on your list and shoot with some of them, shoot against some of them and generally hold my own. I also don't take the sport quite as serious as some of them and don't spend near as much money as some of them in travel across the nation searching for warm weather in Florida or Arizona or searching for All American points.

In answer to your last question why the top 15 shooters use 9/8's loads? I'm not sure they all do and possibly they have never tried 1oz loads. My thoughts are to each his own.
Usually when someone pokes at me about shooting 1oz loads, they don't have the averages or tournament wins to prove their argument. When someone that does brings it up I will listen to their reasoning. In Harlan's clinic this spring he told the group he didn't care what was being shot as long as it would smoke a target. Hitting the target with the center of the pattern was what mattered.

And for Pheasantmaster, 410 #8 pellets for singles and doubles is giving me an aggregate average of ~97% so I think they are working pretty hard. I do like the 7.5's for 27 yard hits, but I do shoot the light ones from back there and draw smoke often. I stated it before, to me it matters more where you point the barrel than what you throw down it. By the way the only factory shells I shoot are at the grand handicap events.
I'm strictly asking questions. No confrontation what so ever. You don't have to answer, that's ok too.
Just really strange, when you take the top shooters, from the top shoots, MOST are all shooting 1 1/8oz.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im convinced that if the ATA mandated 1 oz loads, that scores would go up. Much less flinching and everyone would stay on the stock much better. BUT, until none of us shooters and willing to give the other guy a 1/8 oz advantage.

·
Banned
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
117 Posts
I did some rather extensive patterning with a Remington 12 ga barrel and chokes. I made up a "Don Zutts" patterning doughnut, that is a 30" clear acrylic circle with the 20" hole in the middle. Zutts got tried of counting pellet holes and figured that if it was in the 20" core, it was smoke and what mattered were loads that put more pellets in the outer 10". Every 1 1/8 oz load I tried out the extra 1/8 oz in the core. My conclusion? With that Remington barrel and most any choke, a 1 oz load was going to break just as many targets as an 1 1/8 oz load. They do not score how hard the hits are. Buy the way, I tested a "Tula" Choked skeet barrel, it put a lot of extra shot in the outer 10".

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’m in my 60s. this was my 6th year shooting trap. All i shoot is 1 oz. Loads. A singles, C doubles and at the 24 yard line. Went to the autumn grand for the first time this year. Shot 100 straight. Got my thunderbird pin and had a blast!..I’m not in the top 15 of shooters. But at the end of the day my shoulder feels great and I had fun!...that’s all that counts in my book.

·
Banned
K-80 K-20 Perazzi A400
117 Posts
Im convinced that if the ATA mandated 1 oz loads, that scores would go up. Much less flinching and everyone would stay on the stock much better. BUT, until none of us shooters and willing to give the other guy a 1/8 oz advantage.
I believe that if skeet mandated 3/4 oz loads, scores would go up. All that extra shot does no good if it is 4' over the target.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I respectfully disagree that scores would go up across the board.

Maybe some folks scores would increase - those that have trouble staying on/in the gun but most of the "good" shooters do not have that problem.

I like shooting 7/8 and 1 oz loads for practice

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I did some rather extensive patterning with a Remington 12 ga barrel and chokes. I made up a "Don Zutts" patterning doughnut, that is a 30" clear acrylic circle with the 20" hole in the middle. Zutts got tried of counting pellet holes and figured that if it was in the 20" core, it was smoke and what mattered were loads that put more pellets in the outer 10". Every 1 1/8 oz load I tried out the extra 1/8 oz in the core. My conclusion? With that Remington barrel and most any choke, a 1 oz load was going to break just as many targets as an 1 1/8 oz load. They do not score how hard the hits are. Buy the way, I tested a "Tula" Choked skeet barrel, it put a lot of extra shot in the outer 10".
Don Zutz

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is like shooting a choke other than full to try to hit more birds. If you need to rely on slop to hit a bird; you need to start over. A great shooter when asked what choke you should use for 16s once said "any choke is fine; as long it is full"

61 - 80 of 85 Posts