Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was shooting in our 4-h county shoot this past Sunday and realized how much better the 1oz and other light loads that I have been reloading are compared to 1 1/8 standard factory loads are. For competition shooting I have to shoot factory loads. When practicing at home I have been shooting light 1 oz reloads with my father. Monday morning when I woke up let’s just say my shoulder was a tad sore. Will definitely be loading light loads from now on.

·
Registered
SKB 85TSS; Beretta 694
59 Posts
I agree mostly. I love shooting reloads for non registered singles and doubles. 1oz, 1180fps feel great. But when I’m shooting handicap, I have come to crave the umphf of the 1 1/8 1250. Something about it just makes me feel like it’s made for a longer shot and I like it.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,613 Posts
1oz has it's advantages for sure but one of the largest factors in competitive shooting is confidence. The easiest way to destroy confidence is to question a critical component of your shooting.

As my stock began to dwindle, I started loading 1oz again but would be lying if I said it wasn't on my mind that what I'm attempting to save on shot, is costing me more in confidence. So after a couple hundred reloads at 1oz, I marked them for practice and went back to 1-1/8.

I know 1oz is plenty to crush a target. I also know what 1-1/8 will do. Rolling smoke builds confidence. Confidence builds consistency. Consistent confidence will get you out of C class. I think I'd rather stop shooting altogether than to compromise that .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mostly shoot 1oz loads and am looking to go down to 7/8. Trap shooting is like all sports, head games. You need to be confident and ENJOY. I started not not enjoy shooting the heavier loads as my shoulder was punished. I switched to lighter loads and still break the birds, but am not walking up to my 3rd and 4th rounds regretting how my shoulder would feel the next day. It is all in the individual and your confidence in yourself and the equipment you use.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Lots of people like 1oz, but to me it sounds like a gun fit issue. Your arm should not be sore after a day of shooting trap. I assume since you said 4-h you are a teenager. If 1oz is not beating you up shoot them for everything.

Reactions: 9manfan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lots of people like 1oz, but to me it sounds like a gun fit issue. Your arm should not be sore after a day of shooting trap. I assume since you said 4-h you are a teenager. If 1oz is not beating you up shoot them for everything.
You are probably right with the gun fitment issue. I am shooting a field model 870 that is my dads for now before I quit growing. Then I would like to upgrade to a trap gun

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You are probably right with the gun fitment issue. I am shooting a field model 870 that is my dads for now before I quit growing. Then I would like to upgrade to a trap gun
Nothing wrong with a 870 at all.
Hang in there. Just don't let yourself beat up to the point where you develop a flinch or lose the desire to shoot. Ask your coach or someone respected at the club you are shooting at if they have any ideas to help.
In the mean time reducing the payload is the easiest way to reduce recoil.
I shoot next to a 27 yard AA several times a week. He uses nothing but 1oz, and he beats me about 95% of the time.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I started shooting 1 oz several years ago. Now with 12 gauge ammo in short supply I was able to purchase some W-W 1 1/8 oz. I was pleasantly surprised how the target break was different & in my estimation better with 1 1/8. Just me & my observation.

·
Sky Buster
4,336 Posts
I started shooting 1 oz several years ago. Now with 12 gauge ammo in short supply I was able to purchase some W-W 1 1/8 oz. I was pleasantly surprised how the target break was different & in my estimation better with 1 1/8. Just me & my observation.
I have been loading 1 oz. loads for 25 years. I feel I get harder breaks with 1 oz than 1 1/8 oz.
They worked well enough for a 200 straight at the Grand in '92.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
According to Neil Winston, the number of pellets in the hot core of 1.125, 1.0, and 0.875 oz loads are the SAME. So if you can consistently center your targets within that hot core, your scores should be no different between these loads. It separates the real good shooters from the lucky ones.
I respect the work that Neil, did but I am going to have to think about this statement a little bit. My first thoughts are that the distribution (Bell shaped curve) stays the same, but since there are fewer pellets the density is less. If the # of pellets in the core stays the same, then the shape of the curve would need to change which I think is not true.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nothing wrong with a 870 at all.
Hang in there. Just don't let yourself beat up to the point where you develop a flinch or lose the desire to shoot. Ask your coach or someone respected at the club you are shooting at if they have any ideas to help.
In the mean time reducing the payload is the easiest way to reduce recoil.
I shoot next to a 27 yard AA several times a week. He uses nothing but 1oz, and he beats me about 95% of the time.
The nearest club is 45 minutes away so we shoot at our local conservation range and the coach is germantownclay which happens to be my dad

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
It would be interesting to see just how much difference in penetration there would be in a large catalog between 1 oz and 11/8. Counting the pages is a perfect test .
Wouldn't that be more dependent upon shot size and speed? If a 1oz and 1 1/8 are both at 1200fps and both the same shot size the result would be the same, but the smaller load would have less pellets. No? Its been a long time since I was in a physics class.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts