Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Sorry for the winded post:

This is my first post. I need your help! I have reloaded centerfire cartridges for many years. And have now decided to move to shotshell reloading. I bought a Mec 8567 Grabber and am in process of creating my first load setup. I have chosen a 1oz charge bar to start. This will be a trap / skeet load. The Lyman book I bought has only 8 loads for steel shot at 1oz. Can someone point me toward a better book with more load data for the Winchester hulls? Everything I seem to read says you can’t fiddle with wad variation, yet some posts specify otherwise. I have a chronograph and can work up a load with some confidence.

I am starting with #7 steel shot
-got the press.
-got hulls

* I need insight on powder selection
* I need insight on wad selection: most multi metal/ tps or otherwise don’t specify if they work with a Winchester HS style hull.

Please help!!

looking forward to the fun!
Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you required by law or club rule to use steel?

Precision Reloading/Ballistic Products have manuals available for purchase specifically for steel shot.
Yes I am in California so I can’t hunt with it. Or at my Local Gun Club use it. I will look into the BP books. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Ive loaded some steel shot loads for dove season, I used straight wall hulls and greendot powder. Ballistic steel shot manual has all the info youll need along with recipes for reloads.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where do I send it? Is there a company that specifically tests shotshell hand loads??
Shotshell Proof Testing - Precision Reloading

There is another place called ballistic research in IL that does it too. I didn't find a website but you'll find a contact and adress etc if you do a Google search.

mgpolo recently sent off some loads to be tested and could answer questions about it much better than I.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
On the first loads you make weigh the amount of shot that is being drop. If the amount of shot is less than 1 oz you are ok.
I suggest at least first 8.
Also with shot shells you do not work up a load like with center fire rifle and pistol. You follow the data exactly. If you really want do unpublished substitutions have the loads tested.

Jason

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Steel #7 shot does not work as good on dove as steel #6 shot. Steel #7 shot has less energy and gets less penetration than lead #9 shot gets. So if you want close to lead #7-1/2 or lead #8 shot performance use steel #6 shot.

I used old lead shot bars for reloading steel #5 and #6 shot. I had a lead 1-3/8 oz bar that dropped very close to 1 oz of steel shot.

I ended up using a Mec 600 JR loader because the steel shot wads would stick on the shot drop tube on my Mec Grabber.

For killing dove 1300 fps to 1400 fps is plenty fast. You don't need high recoil loads to kill dove.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steel #7 shot does not work as good on dove as steel #6 shot. Steel #7 shot has less energy and gets less penetration than lead #9 shot gets. So if you want close to lead #7-1/2 or lead #8 shot performance use steel #6 shot.

I used old lead shot bars for reloading steel #5 and #6 shot. I had a lead 1-3/8 oz bar that dropped very close to 1 oz of steel shot.

I ended up using a Mec 600 JR loader because the steel shot wads would stick on the shot drop tube on my Mec Grabber.

For killing dove 1300 fps to 1400 fps is plenty fast. You don't need high recoil loads to kill dove.
Great information thank you!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dave. The good people over at Alliant have your back for this one. They make a powder called steel that is meant for exactly what you want to do. Don’t settle for a Substitute powder that will leave your barrels looking like carpet. As for load testing, skip it. I’ve done pressure testing for load development and unless you’re lucky and nail the load first time, you could be sending in 10+ samples. Instead just use a published load and aim for 9,500 psi or less. That will leave you adequate room for error that will keep your pressure low and and safe. Alliants website has published loads but don’t have any published for the AA Winchester.
Alliants website: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...1&weightdis=1&shellid=457&gtypeid=10&gauge=12

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Longshot powder makes good steel shot loads in the 1300 fps to 1400 fps range and Longshot meters way more accurate and consistently than Steel Powder does. With Steel Powder many reloaders weigh every powder charge. On the Mec powder bushing charts I don't think Mec even shows bushings for Steel powder. 800-X is another powder that does not drop consistent powder charges.

I no longer have a steel shot reloading manual but I do remember that you can load steel shot dove loads with about 6 to 8 grains less powder per shell with Longshot powder than you can with Steel powder. I also loaded some steel dove loads with Herco powder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave. The good people over at Alliant have your back for this one. They make a powder called steel that is meant for exactly what you want to do. Don’t settle for a Substitute powder that will leave your barrels looking like carpet. As for load testing, skip it. I’ve done pressure testing for load development and unless you’re lucky and nail the load first time, you could be sending in 10+ samples. Instead just use a published load and aim for 9,500 psi or less. That will leave you adequate room for error that will keep your pressure low and and safe. Alliants website has published loads but don’t have any published for the AA Winchester.
Alliants website: https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloa...1&weightdis=1&shellid=457&gtypeid=10&gauge=12
I will check that powder out! Thank you for your suggestion

1 - 20 of 38 Posts