Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

I am almost out of 1 oz wads and will need to order more. Here is my current recipe.

Gun Club hull, 17 grains of Promo, DR Green Duster wad, Winchester primer and 15/16 oz of reclaimed shot (1 oz MEC bar throws light). This has been my reduced recoil and reduced cost load. I am thinking of moving to the DR RT12 wad.

I am thinking of switching from the Winchester clone to the Remington clone. It appears that moving from the Win clone to the Rem clone would produce less pressure for about the same speed. I am using Promo and have read that it burns better with higher pressures but would appreciate the lightest recoil I can get and still have good performance. I have also read pressure and recoil are not tied to one another, so maybe I should just stay with what I have now.

I am short yardage shooter so don't need a long distance load at this point in my shooting career.

Thanks - Allen

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Changing from one wad to another will have no effect on recoil.

If the wad you are using works, there's no real reason to change.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Im glad you recognize the difference between pressure and recoil. Not all pressure is bad and within the confines of safe pressure, lower isn't necessarily better. Wads are relatively cheap compared to other components. I would stay with what you have been using.

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
I load pretty close to this same recipie. I've loaded both the Winchester and the Remington 1 oz wads, although I load STS hulls. I get a better fit, and more evenly distributed pattern with the Winchester wad from my Kolar. My 12 gauge barrels are the .750 bore, so your experience will likely differ. For me, the Remington's patterned with a hot core, so I was either powdering the bird, getting a chip, or worse just a bit of dust or outright miss.
These experiences are very gun specific, so you really just have to see what the pattern board tells you, and what you see on the range. Buy a bag and try them!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
pressure and recoil are not tied to each other.

the load and the speed of the load make recoil

the recipe you have and the green duster wad are good ones, if I were you, I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
pressure and recoil are not tied to each other.

the load and the speed of the load make recoil

the recipe you have and the green duster wad are good ones, if I were you, I would leave it alone.
Good advice here, and pressure up around 10,000 psi. will give you a good efficient burn. The Duster is a good wad and would stay with it IMHO.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback thus far. I believe I will stick with the Green Dusters for 1 oz and Blue Dusters for 1.125 oz loads.

On a side note, is 17 grains of Promo about as low as one should go for 1 oz loads? Same question for 1.125 oz loads, how low to take it.

I am trying to maximize my components and performance while minimizing cost and recoil (reload nirvana).

Thanks again - Allen

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would stay with the green duster because they work really good in the new Winchester hull. Most anything works in the Remington. I use between 16 and 16.5 gr of promo in a 1 oz load to keep recoil down but I have to admit that it leaves a lot more residue in the barrel, I suppose from being a low pressure load. If you want really clean I love xtra-lite for 1 oz loads but do not see where many people on here use it.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just out of curiosity...since the only Winchester-powdered load in the Alliant database also uses a Remington R12-L wad, is this data something you cobbled together yourself?
Here is a VERY close recipe from the Alliant site. The only difference is the 0.5 grain reduction in Promo and the substitution of the Remington primer (impossible to find or purchase currently) with a VERY similar Winchester primer. I believe the REM/WIN/Fiocchi primers to be roughly equivalent. If that constitutes "cobbled together" then yes - I cobbled it.
cobbled_up.jpg

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ever heard of the expression "perfect is the enemy of good"?
I wasn't aware of that one but I am now. Is it like, don't overlook a five dollar bill searching for a ten?

How about this one. Average is the relentless pursuit of mediocrity. So why not try for reloading nirvana with that "perfect" recipe?

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
I wasn't aware of that one but I am now. Is it like, don't overlook a five dollar bill searching for a ten?

How about this one. Average is the relentless pursuit of mediocrity. So why not try for reloading nirvana with that "perfect" recipe?
Average is average; good is good. As long as you have the inclination and the resources, remember that there are even more perfect than the last perfect. So carry on and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL - you made me chuckle with that one. We only have two limitations, Time and Funds. As IBM used to say when I worked for them - "all things are possible, we are only limited by our customers ability to pay".

·
Registered
34 Posts
While looking at savings is your motivating factor and still being able to enjoy the sport of shooting, there is a corollary to the “perfect is the enemy of good” expression. That is - “Don’t step over dollar bills to save a few pennies”. Translated - sometimes saving a few cents is not worth the result in lower quality. I can reload a box of 25 with new shot and good components for about $4.25. (Sometimes about 50 cents less when there is a rebate on components or buying in bulk). Again that price is using quality components. What is interesting is our colleagues on the ballistic side (traditional bullets) feel that they can produce a round superior to factory loads yet we on the shotshell side prefer to use factory in tournaments because of the perceived improvement in quality. I believe that it is part of the mental game we play while shooting. I load and use 1 oz to practice. I have chronographed my recipe to duplicate a factory load and feel happy with my results enough to trust what ammo I am shooting. I do what I can to improve “consistency” so I can shoot the same in practice the way I would shoot in a tournament. That way I don’t have to think about what load I am shooting or having to adjust to. I don’t want to play the blame game on my ammo. Just one less thing to NOT have to think about and more time to focus on a target.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts