Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
You probably should have researched it a little bit as not to embarrass yourself. First off the gun does not have Super-Grade wood. You have priced this gun app.$3000.00 over market value at the least $3000.00. I recently purchased a real Super-Grade in 220 Swift for $2700.00 and I paid all it was worth.

Trapshooters are a gullible bunch but they are not stupid.

Roger

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though not a 270W...Jack and Eleanor O'Connor are smiling down right now from above,..loved reading of all the beasts they slayed with their trusty Mod70s

·
Registered
234 Posts
Roger:

Thanks for the information. I'm not embarrassed. Not at all.

The owner is a Vietnam Veteran and (formerly) VERY avid outdoorsman who is not in great health. His preference was to sell it locally to someone who would appreciated the rifle, but I offered it on this site NOT because the members are either gullible, or stupid.

I offered it here because the members of this site are knowledgeable, and appreciate firearms. I half expected that I might've been sticking my neck out a bit because of MY lack of knowledge. The price was set by the seller, not by me.

If a member here is interested in this firearm and wants to make a serious offer, I'm sure the seller would entertain that offer.

jh

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Buyer beware? I don't have a dog in the hunt, but if someone is going to buy a gun in this price range I would have to assume they know what they are doing. That excludes me by the way). LOL

·
Registered
489 Posts
Pheasantmaster You could not be more wrong about me or my statements. I help friends and strangers a-like sell guns every day and I have the utmost respect for all veterans and have friends and family from the viet-nam era.

If he really wanted to help he should have sat down with his friend and a computer and showed him what is taking place right now on any of several websites and determined a price that this gun would sell for.

As far as criticizing I apologize if it came across to strong. There are 2 statements that need criticizing that were made and can not be confirmed. The gun is un-fired and has Super-Grade wood on it, none of this can be verified?? If it is true prove it. I will withdraw all of my statements if you can verify just one.

Roger E

·
Registered
412 Posts
Very nice standard grade pre-64 mod 70 30/06 rifle, but definately not worth the asking price. Tough to claim or prove that it is unfired. If the gun was in a rare (358., 35 rem.,300 savage, or 250 sav.)caliber, maybe. But 30/06 and 270 are not rare. When selling anything, the seller and buyer has to do some research.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll certainly pass the opinions along to my friend.

To be perfectly honest, he offered to sell the rifle to me, and had invited me over to check out the rifle on a few occasions. Last evening I finally stopped in.

I'm not a particular fan of vintage firearms. The long guns I've purchased on this site (as well as elsewhere) have (with the exception of a CMP M1 Garand) been either shiny and "blingy", or AR rifles. Personally, I have NO appreciation for old guns. Call me crazy.

So upon seeing the rifle, I politely declined to purchase it. Due to my late arrival home for the day, and Mrs. jh having been VERY neglected over the preceding days, I simply offered to my friend to take some pictures and advertise it with his price.

I tried to post the condition of the rifle as honestly as I could. And I should have added that it comes with no paperwork, and no box - which EVEN I KNOW would diminish the value of such a firearm.

Having said that, I COMPLETELY stand by my decision to post it here, because with the few replies I've gotten, I've already learned something. And the guys who are interested in this type of rifle are taking notice, and evaluating it based on THEIR expertise.

I saw a full-on Super Grade this morning on gunbroker advertised at $4400(?). And frankly, I have no idea why it was marked at that price. So I am THE WRONG GUY to "do the research" and tell this man what I think his rifle is worth. It's not my area of expertise, and it's not my fetish. And it's not my interest.

Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming. I'll convey what's been said already.

jh

P.S. Again, don't shoot the messenger. It's not OK. Not even if you yell "PULL" first! :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
John, The model pre-64 70 rifle was revered as one of the best rifles made. They were manufactured in a time when the goal was to build one of the most accurate and dependable rifle in the industry rather than chosing the manufacturing process to meet a certain cost target. If at the end of the production line it did not meet the accuracy to be sold it would be fixed so that it meet all the criteria to be sold. That is one of the reasons it was so sought after.

Over the years their custom shop would modify or build to suit what ever the special customer wanted. This makes it difficult for any one to say that the factory never built a rifle like this(it is just that we never saw most factory rifles this way)

One of the earlier posters said this was not Super grade wood. Most Super Grade rifles had a black cap on the forend. The Super grade also has special sling swivels that have been copied by many custom gunsmiths. They are not a simple screw that has an eyelet for the swivel but a blued piece of steel that was flush with the bottom of the stock that would accept a special sling swivel.

Most people would look at this rifle and try to figure out why someone would order a Super Grade stock through the custom shop to look like a standard stock off a featherweight. It is possible but not likely.

I won't comment on the value of the rifle as I am not that knowledgeable, but I doubt that there is a rifle shooter on this website who would not buy it if the price was right. Your friend has a good gun and I hope it goes to someone that will use it and enjoy it. Good luck

Stan

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
To bad it doesn't have the box. Nice gun.

A friend has a Win 70 Pre 64 in 338 win mag made in 1959. That is the first year it came out with the 338 win mag. Its in I would say 97%. What would a rifle like that be worth? I do know the 338 is on the lower end of rare cal.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Pheasantmaster ... you could not be more wrong about GR Eubanks !

I knew him from the old days at Redlands! He is extremely talented and knowlegable ... and as honest as any one that you could hope to meet!

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The 338WinMag could go for 1300 or so dependent of condition,..in our area a good std Pre64 Magnum is hard to find under $1200

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
This is a standard grade, standard weight, Model 70. The serial number would not be 2669 if it were made in 1953. A fair price for this gun in pristine condition would be about $800 to $850, although a gun this late would be a hard sell at $850.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for that, eightbore. By your reckoning, what IS the year of manufacture?

I note that in the first 36 hours, the "value" of this firearm has dropped from $4500 to $800. It's been a while since I took higher math, but I do realize that the price for this firearm over time can only ever APPROACH the limit of zero without actually reaching it.

Based on my calculation of the price drop on this site, some lucky buyer should only have to wait another day or so before it's only worth a dollar!

Seriously though, it appears from the comments you folks have generously offered, the likely value of this firearm is unarguably below $2,000, and perhaps in the $800-$1500 range.

The only dog I have in this fight is to find a new home for this rifle, and put cash in the hands of the owner who now, due to health reasons, will never fire it.

One of the things I find REALLY interesting is that despite all of the gushing I've heard and read about the glorious pre-'64 Winchester Model 70, it's actually quite an ordinary thing! Winchester must've cranked out a TON of these rifles back in the day.

Having said that, I am also aware that certain firearms of the same lineage can vary WILDLY in value. I admitted from the start my ignorance on the differences as they relate to the Model 70.

I already indicated that I'm a fan of new, modern rifles personally. And nothing would please me more than a BRAND NEW MODEL 70 SUPER GRADE. It can be had for not much more than the ts.com members' appraisal of this rifle. It has a pre-64 style mechanism, and it's shiny!

Bracing for the flames!
jh

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Sir: For not having any financial interest or "no dog in this fight", you seem to have a pretty thin skin! Sorry about your friend not hitting his pot of gold, but I will assure you these guys know what the hell they are talking about! Now, back to your ars! Tom Rhoads

1 - 20 of 51 Posts